Steady Flashing Green Light

Out of nowhere, the device has been flashing a steady green light for the past 24hours.  No files have been added to the device, and I have even turned off the PC and the XBox, so I know nothing is trying to access it.  It is not the random green blinking light when something is wrte/reading th device, it is a steady blinking rythm.

Try disabling Twonky, Itunes Server and Remote Access.  If still the light keeps blinking you may also reset it, by holding its Reset button for 4 seconds, this will not affect your data.

1 Like

I performed a reset utilizing the web interface.  It seems to have fixed the issue.  Not sure what caused it.

I had a similar issue yesterday. I restarted the device and seems to have solved the issue.

Hi.  I have a similar problem.  

Brand new 3TB MBL was happy and working fine for a couple of days…then I added all of my files from my smaller-capacity external drive (including iTunes media library and photos = over 250 GBs worth) and, now, for no reason, it suddenly is taking forever to access any of those files, IF at all.  And yes, the drive has a steady flashing green light.  It took about 10 minutes to load the Dashboard, and 10 minutes spooling for each navigation move around Dashboard…IF the Dashboard loads at all without timing out.  Also, trying to access song files freezes my iTunes!!  Not cool.  

I have pressed and held the Reset button on the back from between 4 to 15 seconds, un-plugged all cords, waited and plugged them back in, rebooted my computer.  

Am presently trying to update firm ware…thinking this might help!!!  But, as above, can barely access the Dashboard to do so.

I’m running Windows 7 x32…AND it’s plugged directly into my laptop, NOT through a Wifi Router.

WD Link can not find it.

I had the same problm, may be after latest firmware update.

Login to dashboard after 50 sec .

I halted iTunes and dnla.

The green light stopped flashing after 2 hours.

Now i can login to dashboard in 10 sec.

Maybe be a firmware issue ?

Same issue, I’ve disabled remote access, twonky, and itunes, switched off, unplugged the ethernet cable from the wireless router, reset and rebooted. I’ve followed everyone advice and the thing is still flashing constant. Tried to check for update and got error message 31116 - Unknown error. Please ensure you are not facing network connectivity issues and try again. Plugged the My book into the lap top and lost it. It no longer exists. Really begining to regret buying it. Any ideas???

so let me get this straight 

you rebooted the Drive and it still flashes green?

did you reboot it using WD interface or just disconnected the power cord?

and what were you doing before this issue happenes?

I reset via the web interface with no luck. I then reset the router with MyBook unplugged and switched off. Followed the install instructions again. The Mybook still constantly flashes green even though the computers and PS3 were switched off. Now I can’t access the dashboard and the Mybook is no longer found by the computers. I have no access to the backups taken from my laptops and now one of hte laptops has failed. I need to get the Mybook live sorted so I can use the backup any suggestions?

Same here.  Current Firmware 02.31.08

With nothing attached to it the device is constantly accessing the disk and it will overheat itself doing nothing.  I’ve tried the restarting etc.  No change.  No services are on, no remote access nothing, it’s a demon drive that is going to fry out in a month.

Do WD support engineers read this site?

As a workaround it ois possible, via SSH, to command the LED to stop it’s steady blinking. I can post instructions here if people are interested.

" Please ensure you are not facing network connectivity issues and try again."  This seems to be the Duo’s favorite expression!

Just a thought.  Turn off the additional services in the MBLD.  The iTuned, DNLA and Remote Access.

What happens to the green LED?

A guess is you may have some media files that the iTunes and/or DNLA services can’t process proeprly.

If you download the logs to your compiuter and examine them, the clue to what is wrong may be located in there.

The other thing is that the MBLD internal log file management is not working properly.  The total size of the logs is greater than 20 Megsbyres which makes the RAMLOG service quit so the log files are written to the hard disc, but that should have been fixed in the latest firmware.

Download the logs, determine if this is the case.  If it is then it’s an easy fix.  SSH will need to be enabled on the MBLD and a program that can create secure shell session (TELNET over SSH).  Then just erase any oversized log files and reboo the MBLD.

1 Like

I’ve been getting the same flasshing light problem all afternoon, and switching off remote access seems to have resolved the issue. the unit only flashes once a minute ish now - though sometime 3 flashes in quick succession.

However I’d like to know how to connect to the unit via ssh. And then be able to view the log files, dump them etc…

Cheers

Yep, just turned remote access back on and low and behold, the green light is flashing.

This is a bit dodgy, espicially since I want to be able to access my files on my remote devices.

Is there a fix for this?

Thanks.

I think this is normal. How many photos and other media do you have?  I think the software in the MBLD transcodes photos into thumbnails which are shown on mobile devices as thumbnails?  Makes sense.  Things appear quicker and if you want the full size then the actual photo is downloaded.

Enabling SSH and gaining access is the same as the MBL and is well documented within that forum my myself and others.

All the log files can also be downloaded via the Web UI without having to enable SSH and get into the backend.

1 Like

thanks Myron.

that sort of makes sense, because i copied about 6gb of photos and 86gb of music this afternoon and then accesed some of on my iphone via w2go. And its been flashing ever since. I even turned off myremote deviices and it still kept flashing!

ive turned the unit off for the night as it was hot as the sun!

Ill turn it on tmrw and then turn on remote access and see what happens.

I suppose if the flashing is normal, then i will have to live with it.

Ill have look at the ssh stuff that you have documented.

Thanks. 

Regarding heat.  I keep my MBLD in a cool part of my home.  Remember that the heat of the surrounding environment will add to the heat of the drives and the electronics.  Does not matter if the NAS has a fan or not and also does not matter what make and model.

If i understand this correctly, the unit is creating thousands of thumbnails for all the pictures you recently added. If it is working continuously for hours on end getting really hot then I would suggest putting a fan next to it until its finished. In my opinion the passive cooling system of the MBL is only marginally effective and really should be augmented by temporary active cooling during periods of heavy use.

I see.

So, I deleted all of the photos and restarted the unit.

It still flashes like crazy.