Steady Flashing Green Light

The Duo takes a LONG TIME to index media.  Seem to recall mine took over a week.

When you say you restarted the unit, did you just do a restart, or did you do a factory reset.  If you don’t have any data on the drive, I would do a factory reset, because that will clear any overbuilt logs that the media server may have created.  Flashing green simply means that there is activity, and usually that can mean that it’s indexing - which would be the case with all the photos you have. 

[edit]

Sorry, Tony, I didn’t see your reply.  What Tony is saying is true.  Also, there may be issues with indexing if you have any corrupted files.  I didn’t realize you also had music on the drive.  Doing a factory reset will wipe out existing data, so you may not want to do that unless you have the data backed up.  You may be facing a week of flashing lights until the data is indexed.

Yep, same happened to me when I copied over loads of photos.

I was told that the WD unit  was indexing them. Seems to have settled down now and gone into ‘normal’ mode.

Took about 4 days to index 6 GB.

Myron wrote:

All the log files can also be downloaded via the Web UI without having to enable SSH and get into the backend.

Hi. How do you access the logs via the web interface? I am looking at the web UI and see nothing that indicates a log that I could view and then delete.  

I am also suffering from non-stop flashing green light and an extremly slow 2T TB server. When I copy files from my laptop to the server, the transfer rate is around 100 kb / sec. I am transfering many 3 mb files (pictures) over wired connection. The router is a brand new gigabit router (linksys EA 4500). 

I don’t even use it that often. To store my media and occassionally try and access it. An extremly frustrating product. 

thanks

This is where the option lives.

The ZIP archive that is downloaded to your computer has a copy of the NAS’s log files.

Thank you. The log (daemon) is 9 Kb so I am guessing this is not the source of the problem. 

This is a problem that I have been trying to solve for several months now. Are there some low tech things I could do to start to diagnose why I am always getting a flashing green light? 

Hello. I just purchased the WD My Book 2TB yesterday. I loaded a few albums on to it and the green light has been flashing ever since. I’ve been reading this thread and am not concerned that the unit is faulty.

Does anyone knwo what the issue is? Should I be concerned?

Steve

Same issue here…1TB MBL unit.

Tried many combinations and several resets.  Sometimes pauses flashing for a minute or two, then off it goes again for hours!

Come on WD…what’s going on ???

I also attribute this “excessive activity” to regular disconnects when streaming audio.

If I listen close to the drive…its thrashing.

If you’ve given the MBL a lot of media to process then maybe it’s worth waiting for a while?  How long as this activity being going on?