Windows program to create the xml and metathumb files

Started this last night, haven’t slept a wink, about 12 hours from the idea to release LOL.

You may find it useful you may not, it does what I initially wanted.

http://www.filefactory.com/file/c0cd7e4/n/WDTVLiveHelper.zip

Hope you can figure out which link you gotta click to download tthe actual file, I struggled, LMAO

Updated, now finds Vietnam 

Updated 14/12/2011

Instructions would probably be useful

Type what your looking for in the search box, hit the button next to it

From the Found dropdown box select the show you’re interested in.

When you do this the banner is displayed if it’s the show you’re interested in click on the banner and the poster and episode details get filled in. Check them out and if you’re happy, format the title and filename using the textboxes 

When finished click the write button.

Thank you for that impressive piece of software.

You know something that would make it even better than it already is? Adding a feature for those who had the “enhanced” (hacked) versions of the older WD TV live products so that if your software finds a thumb image already in place in the folder you are writing, than it will use a copy of that same thumb and just transform it into a metathumb.

In other words:

if file format = {title} - S{season}E{episode} - {name}.jpg

then make copy and rename {title} - S{season}E{episode} - {name}.jpg to {title} - S{season}E{episode} - {name}.metathumb

That way you have the same thumb as a .jpg for the older versions of WD TV live and the metathumb for the hub and streaming versions.

If it doesn’t find {title} - S{season}E{episode} - {name}.jpg (or whatever naming nomenclature used by the user), then just create the metathumb from the information found through the search made inside the program.

Would something like that be hard to do?

There also appears to be a minor issue with the search piece. Something interferes with it for some shows.

I was looking for “Vietnam in HD” and when I tried searching for it, or something simpler like “Vietnam”, your software would not give me any choices. I looked at your config file and decided to use it directly in the browser so I typed:

http://www.thetvdb.com/api/GetSeries.php?seriesname=Vietnam

and lo and behold, I did get an xml list of all the shows with a vietnam title.

Check out the button beside the thumbnail. Clicking on that lets you use any local jpg  or metathumbfor the thumbnail.

Check out the new checkboxes below the thumbnail

is there anyway to modify this into a database? I have thousands of files that I would like to organize into one central database capable of loading a portable hard drive and like the hub does obtain the xml and metathumb files and then editing the way the titles are displayed so the order of the tv shows over 10 episodes  doesnt go

tvshow x s1 ep 1

tvshow x s1 ep 10

tvshow x s1 ep 11

tvshow x s1 ep 12

tvshow x s1 ep 13

tvshow x s1 ep 2

but would look more like it should like

tvshow x s1 ep 01

tvshow x s1 ep 02

tvshow x s1 ep 03

tvshow x s1 ep 04

tvshow x s1 ep 09

tvshow x s1 ep 10

tvshow x s1 ep 11

or for movies with more than 1 part

like i have saving private ryan and 3 700mb files for it but it displays only the title so untill you try to play you dont know which is part 1 or 2 or 3 i want to rename the displayed text for it showin part 1, part 2 or part 3 and then it sorts it as well in the correct sequence.

Hello!
Can we see a result with a screenshot, please?

battlestarq

TheTVDB is the database

Episodes are ordered properly with a leading zero for episodes less than nine.

Why not use VirtualDub to create one file from the three parts you have?

DeCLinE

Latest version is here

http://www.filefactory.com/file/c0cd7e4/n/WDTVLiveHelper.zip

well that looks nice but I gather it wont do all of my files at one time but more like one at a time. I have thousands which is why I need a prog that would correct what wdtv live smp created. apparently the creators  never dreamed that most tv shows need 2 places for the episode number and auto fill a 0 for eps 1 to 9

Once you select the series it does every season and episode for that series.

I downloaded the program but dont seem to be working on a windows 7 pc.

i cant find the link…i put the cursor over wdtvlive helper.zip but cannot click on it…can you help please

The software does work on a windows 7 PC. That is the one I used to test it and it works great!

I would like to test your software, but on my Windows7 64Bit it isn´t working. I tried all compatibility-modes and started the programm as adim, but no luck.

Still working for me, with the same setup (admin rights, windows 7 64 bit, no compatibility mode needed). I wonder if the issue may lie in some other piece of software required, like a version of .net or something like that which you may be missing.

I taek it back… I downloaded the new version (posted on the 14th), and something definitely broke as it makes me enter into debug mode due to some crash.

Just to clarify, this is what I get as the debug:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at WDTVLiveHelper.frmMain.btnWriteToFile_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.239 (RTMGDR.030319-2300)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll

WDTVLiveHelper
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///J:/Drivers%20and%20Software%2064/Western%20Digital/WDTVLiveHelper%20(1)/WDTVLiveHelper.exe

System.Windows.Forms
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.235 built by: RTMGDR
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll

System.Drawing
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1 built by: RTMRel
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll

System
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.236 built by: RTMGDR
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll

System.Configuration
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1 (RTMRel.030319-0100)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll

System.Xml
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.233 built by: RTMGDR
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

System.Data
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.237 (RTMGDR.030319-2300)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_32/System.Data/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Data.dll

System.Core
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.233 built by: RTMGDR
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll

System.Numerics
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1 built by: RTMRel
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Numerics/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Numerics.dll

Ionic.Zip
Assembly Version: 1.9.1.8
Win32 Version: 1.9.1.8
CodeBase: file:///J:/Drivers%20and%20Software%2064/Western%20Digital/WDTVLiveHelper%20(1)/Ionic.Zip.DLL

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

For the record, part fo the odd behavior is it won’t show the show’s poster anymore. I wonder if TheTVDb change the parameters for finding the metadata.

ReneGtz, can you try this version

http://www.filefactory.com/file/c0d83ad/n/WDTVLiveHelper.zip

worked like a charm. Liked the smaller GUI footprint you made. So was I right? Did TheTVDb changed some parameter for the folder poster?

New Version works for me too, thanks

ReneGtz, no they haven’t changed anything it was me being lazy and using what looked like an easy way of getting to the first poster/DVD , but it doesn’t work for all shows. What it means is now I’m getting the posters/DVD covers properly. I may just present a list of what’s available instead of just using the first one in the list.

I doubt very much The TVDB would change anything with their existing api’s.