Will these HD's work with the Hub?

I don’t have a Hub yet.  However, I need to know which external drives will work with the hub.

1. wdbfjk0030hbk  (both my U and V drives = Format in Fat32)

1. wdbacw0030hbk  (my T drive = Format in Fat32)

2. wdbacw0020hbk   (my R/S drive = R part is in Ntfs    S part is in Fat32)

Ive got a MyBook 3TB and a 3TB Essential … both formatted NTFS Single Partition,

both work fine on the WDTV Live Hub.  (NTFS because almost all of my files are over 4GB)

Out or curiosity, why have you got a FAT32 Partition ?

Why Fat32?  At the time I was thinking formating to fat32 would make the hard drive work with devices like PS3 and Box 360, and maybe other devices I would get in the future like the Hub.

Ok, sorta suspected that :smiley:

All my devices are on the same network, so if i decide to watch a video or listen to music that’s on the WDTV Live Hubs internal drive or an attached drive on my Playstation 3 then i just select “Media Server” and can watch content that way…

[The WDTV Live Hub has a built in Twonky Media Server … so any device you own that’s DLNA compliant will playback content from the Live Hub.  eg. I can also watch Media from the Live Hub on my Smart TV as well, which is in another room in the house)

without having to attach a drive to the Playstation 3 and i can stream videos that are larger than 4GB (which is the limitation of FAT32)

Beware aware though, Playsation 3 doesent support near as many file format as the Live Hub (eg. Movies ? AVI & MP4 is pretty much it … no MKV,WMV,ISO etc)

And the Playstation 3 also has the dreaded “cinavia protection” … the Live Hub does not :wink:

(Note: i do have an Xbox360 as well … hardly use it, so i havent tested)

PS3 is the most pitiful media player there is…I would never format any drive to fat32 just to satisify it’s needs. Just my opinion… :wink:

While i agree, i would’nt recommend it as a video file’s on hdd player  (due to minimal format support & cinavia)

But, It’s a pretty decent Bluray / 3D Bluray Player / Video Games Machine combo for the price

Tomorrow I get the wd hub referbished.  This is my first media box.  Wish me luck, I don’t do anything to screw the box up.  I hear it’s hard to set up meta data for the tv shows.

Correct me if i’m wrong anyone  …

the Live Hub’s inbuilt Metadata Scraper no longer functions (due to changes in TVDB & TMDB API’s)

I’m running older Firmware and it doesent work … and AFAIK there was no Latest Firmware update to address this.

So, you’ll have to use PC Software … eg. Thumbgen (but even that hasent been updated in over a year … and some people have reported missing metadata such as directors, actors etc)

or

Tony’s XML fetcher still works though  http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming/TV-Shows-Meta-data-Error/m-p/808647#M33617

or i use XBMC for my Movies and export to a Live Hub compatible XML

and of course the Inbuilt scraper on latest Firmwares for the Live Streaming & Media Player work fine.

Just, remember  theplunger   if you buy a WDTV Live Hub … you’re buying a  Legacy Product

A legacy product is one that is no longer under active development but has yet to be fully retired. Legacy products are no longer available for purchase (brand new) , and no software defects will be fixed (including new issues)

Got it today.  It’s slow **bleep**.  I’m returning the box.  Now what I’ll do?  Get a android based box?

It’s not “that” slow …  (remember it’s a 4 year old device, so you can’t compare it to what’s on the market today)

Two ways to improve speed… turn off the media library, and use small resolution thumbnails (posters) eg. 200x400 or 300x450 (the larger the resolution, the slower the navigation will be)

But, if you’re still not satisfied then…

There’s plenty of media players out there … gOOgle   (eg.Select your Budget, Compare specs and features, Read Reviews etc.)

2 Likes