Which Wireless Dongle works with WD LIVE TV

I just got my WD LIVE  unit and tried to put in a DLINK  DI-G122 wireless USB adapter but it did not work…

Which do work and which one do you sugest, I went ti setup my network and the dlink never even lit up at all

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=3805&p_created=1255474998&p_sid=S_wms7Nj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_srch=1&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9NzEsNzEmcF9wcm9kcz0yMDgsMjk5JnBfY2F0cz0mcF9wdj0yLjI5OSZwX2N2PSZwX3BhZ2U9MQ!!&p_li=&p_topview=1#wireless

Also, check the release notes as new adapters are added with new versions.

Thanks I just ordered the

Buffalo Mini

WLI-UC-GN

Hope it works well so I can get my network working

johnbor wrote:

Thanks I just ordered the

Buffalo Mini

WLI-UC-GN

Hope it works well so I can get my network working

I use the Buffalo Mini and can assure you that it works.

Got this today and it works like a  CHARM!

thanks

Heh…  It’s funny who got the ticky mark on that one… :wink:

I have a Linksys WUSB600N which works.  720p and 1080p work well with a WD 1TB drive attached. I have a very good signal though so if you have a less than great signal I don’t know how good it will be.

I did test the WUSB600N  on a win7 box  first. I don"t know if running it on a PC did somekind of firmware upgrade or anything.

I’m running the 1.02.21 firmware on the WDTV Live.

1 Like

Please advise what wireless router do you use to stream 1080p? I spent may hours but couldn’t find wireless  combination router/adapter that works for high bit-rate HD material.

That depends on what you consider “high bit-rate HD material.”

If it’s uncompressed, sometimes even a wired network can’t handle the bitrate and you need to go with a USB connected drive… it just isn’t going to happen wireless.

Generally, compressed HD material works fine, wired, whether 720p or 1080p.

Generally, compressed HD material works fine, wireless, when it’s 720p and the network stays at N-speeds.

Many users have been unable to get wireless-N to continually stream compressed 1080p – you’re not the only one.  The network just won’t provide the necessary speeds.

Thank you for your reply.

I tried Buffalo router WHR-HP-G300N + Buffal adapter WLI-UC-GN. Even for SD material speed is irregular.

I have many HD mpg files that I record off my TiVo HD. I guess they are 1080i, not p, but still they freeze my Buffalo connection.

I just need any success story with 720/1080 and examples of brands: router+adapter. If you have any please share.

The first thing you can try, is to turn channel bonding on, for both the router and the receiver… I’m not sure where the settings would be – you’d have to look in the manual… it might be called “40MHz operation” or something like that.  I don’t know if your default is for it to be on or off… many routers ship with it off.

If you have any wireless-G or -B clients, that will also be bringing the connection down, because I don’t think the WHR-HP-G300N is a simultaneous dual-mode router.

There could also be interference, causing problems, and if there’s bad interference problems, a different router may not solve that.

There’s no immediate need to rush out and buy a new router and adaptor, if you may be able to get better performance out of your existing network with some simple adjustments.

mediajunkie:   I gave up on that Buffalow adapter a month or so ago;  It’s only 2.4GHz N, and I have SO MANY other B/G only devices, my 2.4 GHz network is just too congested to even play 9 Mbit/sec DVD material.

I switched to the Cisco/Linksys 600 5.0 GHz N adapater and have NEVER had a problem (but I’ve not played too many UNCOMPRESSED BD’s.)

Guys, thank you for your explanations.

I already returned all Buffalo stuff to amazon and  free to start over :slight_smile:

I hope that Cisco-Linksys tandem  will make satisfactory solution:

E-3000 for router  and WUSB600N for adapter.

However, I’m a bit scared by the bug in E-3000 that prevents WDTV from

reaching network shares:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Networking/WDTV-HD-Live-Linksys-E3000-Router-Win-7-x64-Having-Problems/td-p/21254

People offer a fix (see the last post) but I’m not sure if it always works. I heard that some people even migrated from E-3000 to Netgear WNDR3700 to avoid this bug. I have Win7 64 bit so this bug may raise its ugly head. Anyone had this problem?