WDTV Remote app for Android no longer works

First off forgive me as I know this has been a subject for many topics so far but none have been helpful today. I noticed a few weeks ago that I lost the ability to use the Android WDTV Remote on either of my WDTV Live  Gen 3 devices. Previously I was able to use it on all of my Android devices; Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7 and my Xoom.

Now none of the Android devices can connect with the WDTV Live box. Now I plan my network pretty well and it’s not due to network issues AFAIK since all of the WDTV boxes are wired and are set with static IP addresses.

I originally thought it may ha been due to me upgrading the firmware on the boxes but I eventually rolled back to 1.0.6 which was a known good version that was working. I’m starting to wonder if perhaps the updated Android app it’s self is bad and not the firmware however since the older version was removed from the Google Play market I can’t test that theory.

That out of the way I did notice that if I use the WDIxTV Mediaplayer remote, while scanning doesn’t find either of the boxes I can force a connection and the that remote works. Granted I have to force it everytime and it’s something I’d want my wife or kids to have to do in order to get the access to the remote.

So two questions;

1. Does anyone know if ther is a fix / suggestion for this?

2. Does anyone have an APK of the older Android app that can be used to test if it’s the newer app that’s the cause?

Using " WD Remote 1.1.1 Build-5" and firmware 1.10.13 works fine for me.

“Workgroup” set properly? (no idea if that’s relevant)

“Check Connection” resulting in no errors?

So the Android remote app doesn’t see the boxes at all or does it see them yet is unable to control them?

Are all the boxes running the same firmware?  Have you tried uninstalling/re-installing the app?  No changes to your network before this stopped working?

So far I’ve downgraded the firmware on both boxes and put them back to the current release.

Checked both boxes, both are on the same network / workgroup and are numbers 192.x.x.7 / 8.

I’ve uninstalled the app numerous times. I’ve even gone as far as installing a new rom on my Xoom and wiping it so it’s totally clean… nothing.

The app simply doesn’t see the boxes at all.

I even thought about making changes to the firewall but that would be pointless since the boxes are on the internal network they don’t go outside the firewall.

I haven’t made any changes to my network as of yet.

digitalxl wrote:

Checked both boxes, both are on the same network / workgroup and are numbers 192.x.x.7 / 8.

And the IP of your phone?

Once the phone gets inside of wifi area it gets an internal IP. But it’s not just my phone, it’s all of my Android devices. I also just factory defaulted a box. No change.

Ok so I have good & bad news. The good news is that it’s working now, the bad news is that it only works if I use it on wireless network. That doesn’t make any sense at all.

I switched both boxes to using it via wirelss and they both can be seen… what the **bleep**. So basically it’s saying that either there’s something up with the firmware (Which can’t be the case since i’ve uised 5 different versions on 2 different boxes) or something is up on my network. But that doesn’t make sense either. You can’t box something via wired connections or wireless connections unless you make a policy and this is on a router not a firewall…

Perplexed.

If you are having issues with the WD remote discovering your SMP/HUB.

First check to make sure that you don’t have any IP conflicts.

Second, make sure you are running the most current version of the FW.

Third, open the Web UI, and log in.   Then click on Remote.  Go back to your Android device, click on WD Remote and see if the app now discovers you device.

Troubleshoot steps for the WDlxTV remote app:  (Works for the Offical remote app also, except for step 5)

TROUBLESHOOT:
1- Ensure the mediaplayer is updated to the latest version. Setup-> System-> Check latest firmware
2- The mediaplayer must be connected to your network and the IP address must be correct (Settings-> Network settings-> Network setup-> IP address).
3- Check web interface availability:
· Open a web browser from your device, put the mediaplayer’s IP address on the address bar (example: http://192.168.1.10)) and press enter.
· You should see a login screen, the password (if you had not previously changed it) is ‘admin’.
· If you don’ see any screen check the IP address again or try to reboot the mediaplayer (plug the power adapter off and on) and try again.
4- When you’ve sucessfully logged in, enter on the remote control interface and try to press any button:
· If you see the reaction on the mediaplayer interface then the app should work normally now.
· If you DON’T see the reaction on the mediaplayer interface, reboot the mediaplayer (plug the power adapter off and on) and try again.
· If after rebooting the mediaplayer it still does not work, try to restore the factory defaults on the Settings menu. ( :!: CAUTION :!: This will delete all the stored loggin info on your mediaplayer ).
5- If the web interface remote is working but the app remote is not:
· Try to delete the device from the favorites menu and then update the device list again.
· On the ‘New devices’ section you should see the device info and on the right the remote and keyboard icon turned on.

Hey Tinwarble, thanks for the hints, however I’ve tried all of these and none helped. I even switched it back to wired and proceeded to lose the WD remote access. So for now it’s wireless which **bleep** since I can’t stream 1080p via  wireless ;(

Guess I’ll go ahead and delete the config off the router and see if any chances happened there.

According to your first post, if I’m right, you have more than one SMP.

If that’s the case, you need to also make sure that each SMP has a unique device name, if they don’t then that is most likely your issue.

They do have different names; one is WDTVLivingRoom and the other is WDTVBasement. But in my update I mentioned that as soon as I switched to Wifi they both started working, which again is beyond me.

digitalxl wrote:

Ok so I have good & bad news. The good news is that it’s working now, the bad news is that it only works if I use it on wireless network. That doesn’t make any sense at all.

I switched both boxes to using it via wirelss and they both can be seen… what the **bleep**. So basically it’s saying that either there’s something up with the firmware (Which can’t be the case since i’ve uised 5 different versions on 2 different boxes) or something is up on my network. But that doesn’t make sense either. You can’t box something via wired connections or wireless connections unless you make a policy and this is on a router not a firewall…

Perplexed.

That’s why I was asking for the IP of your phone as I assume your router is assigning IPs to wireless deviced from a different subnet (i.e. 192.168.2.x) compared to wired devices (i.e. 192.168.1.x). Maybe the app and the WDs need to be on the same subnet to communicate properly.

So yes, I’d guess whatever is the problem, it’s probably somewhere in your network-setup.

Yeah, that is strange.  I can tell you that both my SMPand HUB are wired and I don’t have any issues.

Let me ask you this, are you using dynamic or static IPs on your SMP’s?  If you are using dynamic (allowing your router to set the IP) then try using a static IP and see if that makes any difference.

You can also, if you haven’t already tried, to disconnect one of your SMP’s from your network and see if it works with only the one SMP connected (wired).

Another question.  Are you SMP’s showing up under “Network” on you PC?

Well after playing with this for several hours I eventually plugged one of the boxes directly to the router and I was able to access it via the remote and the app. I then created another wire and ran it upstairs and test it with the same results.

So the wires / switches are part of the issue. So being the guy that i am I sat there and looked at entire picture. I don’t plan on running CAT6 / Gigabit in the house until next year so I wasn’t doing that. However I did have a Netgear N300 Router that supports 802.11N ;). I connected it to the router and made it a Wireless AP and connected all my wireless devices to that vs the FIOS (**bleep**) router and everything works well. In fact faster since the WD supports 802.11N so I don’t have to worry about the speed and since it’s a dedicated AP now there’s less overhead to worry about.

So end result; Adding new wireless network, move WDTV’s to new wireless network.

Now everyone is happy… for now.

Interesting  … it looks like I’m having the same issue as you. THe remote app is not seeing the WD device, which as in your case is wired to my FIOS (MI424) router. I’m wondering if it’s the router settings that are messing it up. It’s crazy too, becase the app worked when I first installed it, but after about a week stopped working. Is there something in the router settings that can be modified to fix this? Another weirdness is that the WD Photo app is working fine - but I know it’s different from the remote app in that it uses a PIN to connect to the WD device.

Any ideas, or as yourself, should I get another wireless router and hook it up to my existing FIOS router? Can it even work (with two wireless routers)?

Thanks!

I isolated the issue and going wireless was the short term solution for me. YMMV depending on what wireless spec you use. That said the WDTV Gen 3 use 802.11N so it’s plenty fast for 1080p / Bluray ISO playback.

Just about any Wireless Router can be using as an Access Point. All you have to do is log into the Wireless Router, which means you have to disconnect a computer from your current FIOS router and connect it directly to the wireless router. Then log into the Wireless router and disable teh DHCP on it and add an IP address from the FIOS router as the Wireless Router’s Primary IP. Example would be 192.168.1.1 as the Fios Router so 192.168.1.2 would be for the Wireless Router.  Then all you would need to do is setup the wireless functions, security and then pull it into the Fios Router.

Since you disabled the DHCP it would function as an Access Point instead and get it’s HDCP leases from the FIOS router. If you do this make sure you disable the wireless functions on the FIOS router other wise you’ll have two different wireless networks.

That said you can also use the wireless function on the FIOS Router as it also supports 802.11 b/g/n but it isn’t as robust as other routers and that’s what made me use an existing router i had since I have more control over the network. **bleep** I was going to replace the FIOS Router but if I did I’d lose access to pay-per-view, not that I use it as much *or ever*.

Just to make sure I understood you correctly, I don’t want to go wireless from the router to the WD Hub, besides I don’t have the wireless adapter for it. The issue in my set up, and I thought that’s the set up and the issue you had as well, is that the FIOS cable modem/wireless router is not detecting the App when the WD Hub is wired to the router. When you connected the WD hub wirelessly to you router, the App started to work. In the end, you still were able to make it work with the WD hub wired to the router, and you were able to accomplish this by supplimenting the FIOS router with a different brand router. Is that correct? Or are you saying that for the App to work, you had to connect the WD hubs wirelessly?

THanks in advance!

For me I ended up going wireless with a different AP. It also worked wirelessly with FIOS router but they are garbare so I used something that was higher end that I had in play when I was on Comcast’s network. WHen I connected the hub directly into the Fios router it worked with the APP.

Though that tells me something was segmenting the network. ACtually I thought ot something that might work for you. Try and assign a static IP to the WDTV and put that into the DMZ on the Fios Router. If there’s segementation going on that would (should) still work.

That sounds promising, but as I’m not that tech savy, how do I assign a static IP to the WDTV? Is it allowed for in the WDTV options? I just don’t remember seeing it.

digitalxl wrote:

For me I ended up going wireless with a different AP. It also worked wirelessly with FIOS router but they are garbare so I used something that was higher end that I had in play when I was on Comcast’s network. WHen I connected the hub directly into the Fios router it worked with the APP.

Though that tells me something was segmenting the network. ACtually I thought ot something that might work for you. Try and assign a static IP to the WDTV and put that into the DMZ on the Fios Router. If there’s segementation going on that would (should) still work.

Yeah, the switches you haven’t mentioned in your first couple of postings…