WDTV Live - random avi files being converted to folders

hi

i am having the same problem. not sure when this started happening but I was reviewing some folders and found a lot of files converted into empty folders with the same name (all kind of files)

I too am having this problem. So far its only been on my 2TB WD external passport drive.

I have the same issue, and will try to downgrade to get it solved as suggested here. I have the original WD TV Live (1.06.43_V).

I’d like to add something for people who’ve been losing files, though: I’ve observed that I can still access and copy the files (which makes them valid again) using a Linux distribution. I used a cd-version of Lubuntu that didn’t have to be installed. This may save some people a lot of time recovering their lost files :slight_smile:

But can you remove the invalid dirs with Linux?

Yes. But better still, you can recover them.

What I did was the following:

1. Plugged the HDD into my computer.

2. Looked up all files that were converted into ‘folders’ and made a note of them.

3. Booted up Lubuntu from a bootable install cd; ran test environment (doesn’t require an install – see their pages for instructions).

4. Browsed to the files that were converted into ‘folders’, which all looked normal.

5. Copied these files to my internal hdd.

6. Rebooted into Windows.

7. Copied the files, which were now readable, back to the external HDD.

8. Problem solved.

Or at least: files recovered. But I’m hoping my firmware rollback has also solved the problem :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have the files. But I cannot get rid of the bad folders from Win, except by reformatting

I recently noticed some of my files were disapearing off both usb drives attached to the wdtvlive box, I don’t think it is limited to .avi files either as I see I have a directory named blahblah.mkv

Anybody know if WD are looking into this?

I’m not sure just how long it’s been doing this, but it’s randomly got quite a few of my files.

It gets used pretty much everyday, so I’m keen to see this solved.

Currently running firmware version 1.06.43_v and it’s a part number WDAAP0000NBK.

I have the same problem. NTFS drives.

I downgraded to 1.05.04 to avoid losing my files and having to backup/juggle with them to recover. Of course, I get the New Firmware nagging as well.

WD, any chance for a fixed firmware some time soon?

Does the live streaming have the same bug? I’m considering an upgrade to get MLB.TV.

IIRC there’s only been one user mentioning this bug on the Live Streaming but there was no confirmation so I’d say it does not happen on the Streaming.

Hi all,

I have the same problem.

Any updates to this issue ?

Regards

No.

Loosing files is such a critical thing.

Appreciate if wd fix this issue as soon as possible.

Anyone found the reason or sequence causing this issue.

This issue is also affecting me as well, really love to know what is going to be done about it cause I am really close to tossing my WD TV LIVE PLUS in the trash and call myself a WD boycott for the rest of my life. I have lost tons on top of tons of movies off 4 of my 3tb hard drives. I have noticed so far this only affects my avi and mkv files so far…I mainly back up full quality blurays into m2ts format and so far haven’t noticed an effect on those backups…but cringing at the idea they are next to go. If anyone has found a work around or fix for this issue I would love to hear about it.

Not sure if WD is addressing this but as slow as the updates been coming the last year, doubt a fix is anytime soon. I have debated on custom firmware but no 3TB support so I guess I am at the mercy of WD to resolve the issues. Anyways this seems to be a very serious issue, I have written them time after time with not one response yet.

As swddf suggested, I booted up my pc with lubuntu (pretty easy) and plugged the drive into it and hey presto, there were my files, still looking like files (interesting that a linux system still saw them as such.)

So I copied them off and onto my internal drive, rebooted and back onto the external.

I have also now reformated another drive as exFAT16 as the original was NTFS and will use the FAT16 one from now on.

Will look into rolling back the firmware next.

Thought since I’m the orginal starter of this thread I should finally reply back.

After months of no action from WD on this issue I have done what others have suggested and rolled back the firmware. My videos keep getting converted to folders and I am sick of it.

I followed the instructions here:  http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5800/session/L2F2LzEvc25vLzEvdGltZS8xMzczMDgxMjU5L3NpZC9meXlFZnZ1bA%3D%3D to roll back.

I had the latest version 1.06.43_V on my WD box and rolled back to 1.06.15_V since that’s the only one that is supported or even available for download. What is strange is that I also found this page:  http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/search/1/a_id/5875/c/130/p/208,299 which shows that WD know about this issue and recommend the firmware version to fix it but say it’s version 1.05.04_V for my model but don’t give a link as far as I can see to go back this far! Ridiculous.

I’ve always been a WD supporter and even got the next model to this one I have when it came out but obviously before I started having these issues. I won’t be recommending to anyone to buy WD tv boxes as I don’t want the fallback to come on me if the same issue happens with other people’s movies.

Hopefully with this version the files being converted will stop.

snapdragon1 wrote:

I have also now reformated another drive as exFAT16 as the original was NTFS and will use the FAT16 one from now on.

Watch the terminology. It’s FAT(16), FAT32 and exFAT, the last of which is not supported by any WDTV cause it’s yet another proprietary **bleep** format by Micros~1.

Negh_Var wrote:

I’m confused, what version are you on and how large is the drive connected? 1.05.04 is still available if you adjust the download link but you need to downgrade from 1.06.43 to 1.06.15 first. According to the pages you linked to, the disappearing files are related to > 2 TB drives being used (which was not clear before) which cannot be accessed below 1.06.15?!

Negh_Var wrote:

Techflaws wrote:

I’m confused, what version are you on and how large is the drive connected? 1.05.04 is still available if you adjust the download link but you need to downgrade from 1.06.43 to 1.06.15 first. According to the pages you linked to, the disappearing files are related to > 2 TB drives being used (which was not clear before) which cannot be accessed below 1.06.15?!

I’m using a 3 TB drive (also WD model) and I didn’t realise I could get the previous version by modifying the link. I’ll see how I go with the current version I have, 1.06.15_V, and if I still have issue I’ll downgrade further. from the page it appears to me to say I need to use 1.05.04_V or after.

Yes, but the other link you mentioned says that with lower firmwares data on drives > 2 TB might be damaged.

The corruption issue is present for 2TB drives too

Great, the second link to the WD knowledge base only speaks of greater than 2 TB.