WDTV Live Limited Public Beta Firmware Version 1.03.43_V (10/19/10)

Just upgraded to Ver 1.03.42 from Ver 1.02.21 without any problems. Every thing went fine, using HDMI 1.3c and Sony Bravia KLV-32EX400. Even no issues with wireless connection (using Dlink dongle with Dlink Router).

Only one thing; browsing is still very slow…

GOOD WORK WD :smiley:

Been running 1.03.43 for a few days now.  I’m happy to report that there have been no obvious playback problems with any of the media that I have.

FWIW, I lived dangerously with this update - didn’t do a full reset either before or after upgrading just to see what would happen.  Overall am happy with the way it’s working out, but really wish we’d see some cleanup in the UI at some point.

richUK wrote:

David_Aknin wrote:

Update to the update: ok, sorry, I spoke too soon.  Pulling the power cord and plugging back in does not always get it working again.  I just had the case where removing the power cord and plugging back in did not fix it.  When the cord was plugged back in the WD logo appeared which means that the HDMI was working briefly right?  Anyway, then the logo disappeared and my TV said no sync signal and went to sleep and remained that way.  I tried the power reboot several times, same thing.  I then tried the reset button and that didn’t work.  Finally, and I’m not sure why this made any difference, but it did work, I powered off via the power button then while powered off I poked the reset button and that made it power back on and I guess maybe that worked because it resets settings?  I don’t know, but it did work and I was very glad because I really dread having to pull all this gear out to change cables.

So, since this last upgrade I’ve had varying behavior where sometimes the power code unplug/plug has worked and other times when it has not.  I’ve had times where poking the reset works and others when it does not.  I’ve even seen it work with the power off/on button works.   And then the last case above.  Very strange inconsistent behavior.

The first logo comes up at (I believe) 720p and then there is no signal (for some time). The unit then attempts to connect at the maximum resolution for your TV, you then see the second WD logo. I assume that if you do not see the second WD logo then the handshaking has gone wrong and the unit is set to a resolution that your TV does not handle. You could try setting the correct resolution / frequency manually and see how that goes.

I hadn’t been checking before so I just did.  For me when it gets in the mode where the HDMI light is flashing on my receiver the TV has been put in 480i.  This is the case both when I set the WD to auto HDMI and when I set it explicitly to 1080i.  I have found that most of the time now the unplug/replug method is working.  I just had a few cases where I had to resort to other methods.  I also have found that if I get the WD up and switch between inputs on my receiver that it the WD doesn’t freak out and loose sync capability until after I’ve played a movie.  Once I’ve played a movie I am no longer able to switch to another input on my receiver without it failing when coming back to the WD and at least in the cases I’ve checked the TV is in 480i mode for some reason.  Also, after unplugging even though I had set WD to 1080i and it played the movies at 1080i, when it comes back up it is set back down to 720p.  No other settings change from the unplug, just the HDMI …

Muhahahahahaha !!! Seven Months and Eight Beta Firmwares. Congratulation !!!

I have a suggestion. Rename WDTV Live in BetaTV Live.

I think many people is having trouble with there TVs because maybe they are using an old HDMI version cable, I recommend using the latest HDMI cable version like 1.3b or 1.4 version so that way they can discard many of the problems with the HDMI handshake and others issues.

RGB High gets reset back to Low every time you switch WDTV  on & off… I’ve read on a few different forums people having the same issue with 1.03.x beta release… can it be fixed?

ricardorb6 wrote:

I think many people is having trouble with there TVs because maybe they are using an old HDMI version cable, I recommend using the latest HDMI cable version like 1.3b or 1.4 version so that way they can discard many of the problems with the HDMI handshake and others issues.

I think with most people that are having HDMI issues the HDMI sync used to work in previous firmware versions.  That is the case with me.  I upgraded to the beta firmware to get the menus and also inherited the HDMI nightmare.  After so many months I think I’m about ready to forgo the menus …

dosborne wrote:

As previously mentioned, for me, this beta works just fine, still.

The menus seem faster, not slower compared to another post above.

As for the unit continually sending out a signal and your TV not auto-shutting off, many devices behave this way. My sat receiver also does that. Since I use a harmony 880 remote, I simply have it power off my tv along with all other devices.

Hi,

The last official firmware release (version 1.02.21) didn’t send a signal after turning off WD TV LIVE.

It only started doing that when the beta firmware versions came out.

If I rollback to 1.02.21, my TV shows “No Signal” in standby mode.

Which suggests this was changed with the betas…

If the original firmware had sent a signal as well, it wouldn’t have been an issue to me.

I also don’t think it does that with the BETA firmware on all TVs. (I might be wrong…)

My other HDMI devices (DVD, Blu Ray player and XBOX) all switch off properly and show “NO SIGNAL” on my TV.

Thanks

I recently started having HDMI handshake issues after months of no problems at all, which was a real drag.  The TV is a Panasonic TC-P42C1 plasma.

Much to my surprise, removing the power cord to the TV for a minute or so solved the problem.

Xtreme wrote:

pekica wrote:

TV is Sony Bravia KDL 40W4500, WDTV Live V1.03.43

No changes from V1.03.40, V1.03.41, V1.03.42, I repeat my old report:

• 12-color depth still not working (blank screen only)

• if WDTV Live is set to 1080p 60Hz RGB High, it works fine, but if you turn off TV for a few minutes (wait to hear “click” from the TV), then on again, WDTV drops to 1080p 60Hz RGB Low, and I have to set it again to RGB High. There was no problem like that with V1.02.21, but the same problem is at V1.03.40, V1.03.41, V1.03.42.
      It happens even if the WDTV is turned on all the times, also if you put a playback on a “pause” - it is enough just to turn TV off.

• most of the times, after turning off WDTV, the 1080p/60Hz setting is remembered, but the other times it drops to 720p/60Hz, and RGB High setting is almost never remembered.

• still no 1080p/23.976 fps support

The KDL40W4500 also boasts a 10 bit panel. Where most televisions can only show 256 shades of red, green or blue (8 bit) this Sony ups that figure to 1024 for each colour, giving a more naturally rendered, realistic picture. This means it can show x.v.colour pictures from Blu-ray sources in all their splendour.

Thanks, Xtreme!

I don’t agree that more than 8 bit color means nothing, also I noticed that, except me, only MWebber mentioned here RGB High:

MWeber wrote:  > RGB High gets reset back to Low every time you switch WDTV  on & off… I’ve read on a few different forums people having the same issue with 1.03.x beta release… can it be fixed?

In my experience, switching off TV causes RGB High resets. If WDTV is switched off before TV is, and swithed on after TV is, it will probably keep RGB High and 1080p/60fps settings.

Try to adjust contrast, backlight, brightness and color saturation to moderate levels, set WDTV to RGB High, and, if your panel supports it, 12-bit color. You’ll get much details and color richer picture, also more pleasant for your eyes.

well the problem is even tho i set it to 12 bit color…the setting does not “stick” / register…it keeps going back to 8 bit for some reason for my tv…Panasonic TH-P50V20A

and yes the tv will do 10 bit or 12 bit color (according to the manual)

No major issues, but -

had problem after 1st off / on following upgrade -
would not display picture of menu via hdmi on tv,
did off/on - then did display 1st logo but then picture lost again
on 3rd on/offeverything OK and has remained so

get DTS / DD OK
get YouTube OK

RGB High setting not saved (went to RGB low after switching off/on of wdtv, then after everything turned off including TV, it went to YCbCr )

sometimes seems to take a long time to display USB1 and USB2 folder, but not sure if that was a problem with the drives

One problem: HDMI switches back to 720p :cry:

i switched from 1.03.42_V to 43_V

HDMI resolution seems to be solved. It stays at 1080p

however i’m still having problems with digital audio

i ripped a dvd to portable drive, not iso but vob/ifo files

My WD Live is connected with my AV receiver (sony STR DA2400)

when i connect with HDMI and play the dvd folder, the sound is stereo, even when i choose digital

when i connect with component + optical and play the exact same dvd folder, i get dolby digital multi channel

appearantly i can’t seem to get multi channel sound through the hdmi cable

I Still have problems with HDMI, afted update, blank screen. CMON!!! Still on stable firmware.

I just upgraded to 1.03.43_V from Ver 1.02.21 without any problems. Observations so far:

1. DVD menus work great.

2. Folder thumbnails for local media files look better.

3. Adding Mediafly is a plus, but some content (HD Nation, for example) has better frame rates served through PlayOn to my WD.

4. HDMI resolution was autodetected correctly at 1080i (60Hz), whereas before it always autodetected at 720p.

Overall, I’m very pleased with this update.

I try anthor time to upgrade the WD TV LIVE and after turn off/on the TV now is all ok, no black screen.

Thank you to jctavers

This is what I had to do as well. It seems the WDTV Live started up in an incompatable video mode for my TV. Once I connected using the composite cables I was able to get video and then set the HDMI settings to compatable ones. Works fine now.

After using the unit for a day after the firmware upgrade, I’ve noticed that one time it reverted to 720p resolution, and another time the video setting changed to Composite, even though I’m connected via HDMI. The picture was unaffected. So. there’s still something odd going on with the video settings.

I have a Samsung 40 in. TV with a western digital live tv connected to it with an HDMI cable and 2 western digital my essential 2 terabyte drives hooked to it. Right now there are approx.730 movies on them.When I go through the menu to view all movies it shows me the entire movie list but some of the movies won’t play. It says some of my mkv’s are unsupported format. Yet when I acess them from the folders menu they play fine.I was hoping this update would fix this but it didn’t. Is this something you are going to fix or should I look for a different player?