WDTV Live Limited Public Beta Firmware Version 1.03.43_V (10/19/10)

guilder wrote:

Anyone know where I can find the rollback file for 1.03.42_V?  Thanks in advance for any help.

Use the rollback from the 43 beta, it will be OK.

http://wdc.com/wdtvlive_limitedpublicbetarelease/

The rollback link is halfway down the screen.

@cellax

Hi cellax,

Do you mind me asking what program you used to obtain the movie information? Thanks! Broyd.

Broyd wrote:

@cellax

Hi cellax,

Do you mind me asking what program you used to obtain the movie information? Thanks! Broyd.

Mediainfo

cellax wrote:

this video hangs up…

Format settings, ReFrames        : 5 frames

Encoding settings                : cabac=1 / ref=5 / deblock=1:-2:-1 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=10 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=32 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=6 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=0 / interlaced=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=5 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / wpredb=1 / wpredp=2 / keyint=240 / keyint_min=24 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=60 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=6043 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / vbv_maxrate=50000 / vbv_bufsize=50000 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00 / nal_hrd=none

I’d thought I’d read one of the WD engineers say, way back when, that the WDTVs physically only have sufficient memory to buffer 4 reference frames, and that files above that can/will cause problems.

Even the “High Profile” preset in Handbrake only uses 3 reference frames.

Is there any reason you’re encoding your files with 5 ReFrames?  Because that could quite easily be your problem right there.  And using a smaller number of ReFrames will make your encodes go faster.

Regarding this limited beta, does anyone know if there’s an official firmware release coming anytime soon?

bugs in 1.03.49_V

cannot change12 bit working in 8bit .

if browse hard drive and press back to home navigate menu is slow.

Thanks richUK ! Appreciated :slight_smile:

Paul, are you certain your TV supports 12-bit color?

One more issue I noticed:

when playing a video, the elapsed time bar seems to only move when the info bar is on screen. Once it’s off, the bar seems to stay at the last point viewed and as soon as you show it on screen, you can see it jumping from the last point to the current (say minute 5 to 50)!

vivaNSX wrote:

One more issue I noticed:

when playing a video, the elapsed time bar seems to only move when the info bar is on screen. Once it’s off, the bar seems to stay at the last point viewed and as soon as you show it on screen, you can see it jumping from the last point to the current (say minute 5 to 50)!

I noticed that too recently.

The other thing I noticed is the Zoom level gets confused a bit if you jump to the next file.

If you are in zoom level 1.2x and jump to the next file, it still shows 1.2x in the options menu even though its on normal zoom.

If you press zoom again, it corrects itself and shows 1.1x

I also noticed since the betas is that when you press play after fast forwarding an AVI, the screen blacks out for a second or so before it starts playing the video file again. I don’t really see why its necessary to do that.

It didn’t do it in the last official firmware version and doesn’t do it for MKVs.

None of these bugs will affect my usage of the player though.

yes, I heard that today the final firmware update will be launched!

this information reached me on friday, so it should be reliable…

I’ve noticed that when leaving the unit powered on for a longer time (a day/a night) it freezes.

This most particularly happens when leaving it on a menu where a local drive is attached and the option that it is left on, requires the disk.

For example, I’ve got a 1TB WD Elements drive connected to the unit. When I leave it powered on, with a movie selected on the WD Elements-drive, after say… 10 hours, the unit is just frozen.

I can access the drive through the network using the share of the wdtvlive, but the UI of the wdtvlive is frozen solid.

@TonyPh12345 im not shure if my TV support 12bit but in 1.02.21 works in 12bit

i find this info from manual

Max. Resolution = 1920 X 1080 @ 60 Hz
Recommended Resolution = 1920 X 1080 @ 60 Hz
Horizontal Frequency = 30 kHz to 83 kHz
Vertical Frequency = 56 kHz to 75 Hz
Synchronization Type= Separate Sync, Digital

LG2262D Monitor/TV in trouble shooting find this

A Set screen color resolution to more than 24 bits

i think this in windows mode not in TV.

but 8bit work ok 1.03.49_V its the best firmware i use.:smiley:

for slow menu freezes maybe memory full load need to be wait for official release.

sbrozius wrote:

I’ve noticed that when leaving the unit powered on for a longer time (a day/a night) it freezes.

This most particularly happens when leaving it on a menu where a local drive is attached and the option that it is left on, requires the disk.

For example, I’ve got a 1TB WD Elements drive connected to the unit. When I leave it powered on, with a movie selected on the WD Elements-drive, after say… 10 hours, the unit is just frozen.

I can access the drive through the network using the share of the wdtvlive, but the UI of the wdtvlive is frozen solid.

I confirm this issue. It happens to me when I leave wdtv live connected on my nas. After it has gone idle, after some thime it does not resume / does not respond to remote control. A/C (un)plug resolves this issue.

This is related to FW 1.03.49

paul_323 wrote:

@TonyPh12345 im not shure if my TV support 12bit but in 1.02.21 works in 12bit

12-bit was broken in earlier versions.  I think they fixed it in like .39 or so.

So, even if you set it to 12-BIT, it was only sending 8-BIT.

See this thread:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Firmware/WDTV-Live-Limited-Public-Beta-Firmware-Version-1-03-43-V-10-19/m-p/72778/highlight/true#M5536

I have tested 1.03.49 beta yesterday and I must say I’m quite happy with this version.

No HDMI related problems here (Samsung 46C7700, Denon AVR1911) and at best, it seems smb/cifs performance has been improved.

With 1.03.43 I remeber when looking my test-1080p-mkv Predators it was choppy at least at 10 scenes. With 1.03.49 I was able to look the whole movie without any problems. Great!

Server: QNAP TS-119

Edit: Tested again, same Movie, same Setup, same Hardware → choppy :((

Have no idea why it plays yesterday ok. maybe the weather^^

My personal wishlist for future releases:

mounting NFS shares

WMV v8 video playback support

gapless music playback

free Shoutcast player

CEC (Consumer Electronics Control) protocol support

faster GUI speed

dro666 wrote:

Edit: Tested again, same Movie, same Setup, same Hardware → choppy :((

Have no idea why it plays yesterday ok. maybe the weather^^

> * * *> It happened to me a few times when playing a .mkv through the network that the movie started to skip frames and the sound would stutter. Pressing pause then going back a few seconds before the skipping started always fixed the problem. I guess it’s the result of some bad interaction between the decoder and the player’s own system clock .

Andrescm wrote:

Pressing pause then going back a few seconds before the skipping started always fixed the problem.

correct, but it’s very annoying.

The only solution I have found to avoid this skipping frames was to mount NFS-Shares via brad firmware. This protocol works perfectly for streaming 1080p over 100Mbit network.

A few days ago I upgraded my home-network with a gigabit switch. But there is the another problem. There have to be a bug in QNAPs NFS Server. NFS shares over a Gigabit switch are even less performant than SMB over 100Mbit. lol

Some people said its because QNAP limits the rsize/wsize (maximum payload in bytes) to 8096. I have tested another NFS-Server (unfsd) with 32k rsize/wsize. I was able to mount this share (b.rads firmware of course), but the videos didn’t play. I have no idea why, maybe because of my mixed topology of 1000/100Mbit switches. Next time I try connecting the WDTV directly to the gigabit switch… but this is another storry :wink:

Ok, back to the 1.03.49 beta:

The HDMI resolution still falls back to 720p/50 after a while (TV off).

I’m 100% shure I have set it manually to 1080p/24 yesterday.

I will give Preadators another try in 1080p/24 over SMB and report later…

Edit: nice, the 720p mode has caused the choppy playback, not the weather :slight_smile:

The streaming performance is still not 100% perfect like over NFS but in my opinion better than the streaming performance of the older finals/betas!

dro666 wrote:

correct, but it’s very annoying.

Yes, it’s somewhat annoying, but nothing big for me really. They could improve and I hope they do, but I can live with it if they don’t.

@dro666: If you have a QNAP NAS, why don’t you use the Twonky DLNA mediaserver? There is no need for accessing the QNAP via SMB for streaming videos. And UPnP/AV is faster than SMB/CIFS or NFS. 1080p24 streaming works like a charme with Twonky… at least with my setup…

If you are unhappy with the build in version of the Twonky (V5.x has severall issues), then install the Twonky 4.4.17 QPKG.

Cheers,

Zap