WDTV Live firmware update - warning!

I will try to get a refund, customers are well protected here in denmark =) But it makes me sad, here we have this tiny, nice box with a kick-ass potential, but NOOOO - all bugged up!!

Omg!

Check out the update-page:

A small percentage of our users are experiencing a problem with WD TV Media Players when they update to the newest firmware release (version 1.01.12).

LOL!!!

1 Like

Maybe 75-80 % LOL

This is exactly  my point… Why we have to pay the return shipping when THEY brick my device.

Yes I know it wasn’t necessary to do the update but when it’s said “a critical update and it is important to bla bla bla” I can’t blame my self for doing the update !

I’m not going to pay the return shipping… I will either abuse of policy in other store and I will for sure sell the WDTV LIVE and get something else more reliable. WD has been on the market for so many year, they released so far 3 media player… and ney never learnt their lesson… no customer support, no firmware update to REALLY improve thieir device. they rather do a NEW device to add feature. Their competitor is way ahead. I’m sorry WD but this time you reputation when from 1 to 0

Ha - they probably should have left out “small” :slight_smile:

Anyway - they have acknowledged the problem. That is good. And I think you can be certain that the WD SW people are going to work through the weekend to resolve this issue… experienced by a “small” percentage of WD TV Live users ;o)

I just hope, hope, hope… that this can be resolved with a SW upgrade…

I bet the nubers arent that high (75-80%).  But only because a lot of ppl didnt have a chance to upde yet.  they dont say a large % of customers that updated, they said % of their customers. 

So far I am not suprised with their responce.  I just hope they fix this free to the customer, because I’ll be *deleted* if I am gonna pay a cent (including any shipping).

Well.

I got home and did my update as was asked. Nothing.

I called WDC tech support again, the tech #2 was very forthcoming and said that: “Anything we told people to resolve this issue has not worked. That’s why I recommend returning it to where you purchased it…” 

So I called my store (BB), and according to the date of purchase, it was slightly over 30 days and therefore not eligible for replacement.

So I called WDC tech support back. I was given two options of RMA: Normal or Expedited. I chose Normal and I asked who pays **bleep** a few moments and said we’ll email you a label…

I’m an understanding guy. I’ll wait, because, the only discretionary spending I had for the fall was this unit. I can really front another $130 or so to pull a switcheroo with Best Buy.

But I am livid. I’d love to know what the fail rate was for the 1.01.12 firmware testing.

… I think they skipped the test, because of all the improving and stuff this update would do :wink:

So I broke down and called support.  Waiting for the RMA proccess now.  They wanted me to pay for the shipping out there, but once I said that I wasnt willing because it was a critical update that WD put out they offfered to pay.  Im still hoping a software fix comes along in the next few days though.

edit: what is with the auto *bleep* thing here.  It bleeps stuff that it shouldnt.

What a crock!  WD customer support is nonexistent…  I don’t care whose fault it is, but they need to do more to put their customers at ease over bricking a “large” (not small) percentage of their products.  I’ve had this thing for 4 days!  Terrible tech support.  Tech support does not mean telling me how to turn it on, which it seems that’s all the call center people know…  The only solution you have as a company is to return the device??  Seriously?  I just ordered a brite-view cinematube after checking out all the comments people have about their support.  I am returning my WD to newegg and will never make this mistake again.  Waste of time.

So many hours have passed. Hope WD will work extra hard during this weekend to provide solution efficiently. Seriously, it is pointless to go through the troublesome RMA process.

when i got mine a **bleep** it was version 1.01.11 it updated fine

yesterday it prompted **bleep** I got Lucky.

Any how have any of you tried downloading the version that was working for you befor the update

or even the new one

and renaming it …the system is not going to detect the same version number as new firmware so if you updated to say

1.01.12  and you download version (1.01.11) or (1.01.12) and put it on your usb drive nothing will happen

because the os the same firmware version

So if big if   you download the firmware that worked before or the new one renameing say (1.01.12) to 1.01.13 it should try to install

hope it works

DDT 

Yeh. I hope so. I have an RMA all setup. But I really do not want a refurbished unit back.

I may have bought mine at Halloween. But I just opened it and used it 2 weeks ago… After I decided it was worth the troubles people were having already…

Can anyone share new firmware?

I’ll like to update via USB drive.

Really want to know if there are more Internet features like Seagate Theater+ has.

I wouln’t risk that if I was you… even if so **bleep** but I can tell you that there’s no new feature. Nobody mentioned new internet feature. I know the menu is a bit smoother… but I didn’t heard anything about NEW feature.

Is WD going to take responsibility **bleep** of information/response/accountability here…,…

Is WD going to take responsibility **bleep** of response/accountability here…,…

Returned my bricked WD TV Live to BB no questions asked. Lessoned learned. :cry:

Add me to the list of bricked WDTV Live units. What a horror story. How ironic that a firmware that is suppose to improve reliability…completely cripples and bricks the device. This is the first time in history I have ever heard of something like this happening (with this magnitude) with an electronic/computing device. And this is Western Digital!! Who developed the firmware and who was responsible for QA?

Their statement that a “small percentage” was affected made me lose it!  This needs to be addressed quickly. There will not be any further WD purchases from me if i need to jump through hurdles to fix or replace this unit.

Happened to me too.

Very, very unhappy.