WDTV Live disconnecting in the middle of playback

Hi,

I tried on other forums at no avail, I am trying now here.

There is an issue driving me crazy. 

I connect to my Twonky media server through Wireless-N network (AES encryption). I am using QNAP TS-239 PRO II with latest firmware, but I also tried with a D-LINK DNS-323, same issue.

I start playing a movie without issues, but randomly (usually after 30-50 minutes of playback), the wireless network disconnects stopping playback. It happens only with WDTV Live, if I play the movie from the HTPC on the same wireless network, there are no disconnections. I have never been able to watch a movie in full without having to go back after reconnection (1 minute or so later) and continue playback.

My router is Billion 7800N with latest firmware. My network dongle is a D-Link DWA-140. It happens with both official 1.2 firmware and latest pre-release 1.3.35 firmware.

Have you tried playing a movie with the WD TV Live wired to your router?  Can you, and does it play the movie all the way through without it dropping?

I can try wiring it later tonight when I go back home (I am in Sydney, Australia), but the error message is clear -  it says that the wireless network is disconnected. Also, having a 15 meters wire running on the floor is not exactly my ideal configuration. 

After disconnection, If I try right away to find the Twonky media, I cannot find it - however, it reconnects automatically after 1 minute. At that point, I have to go back in the folder, select the movie again, and choose option to continue playback. It cannot get more annoying than this.

My wireless network is rock solid with all other devices - I checked that there are no interferences and that I am the only one on that channel. Is it possible that it is an issue with the WPA2/AES itself? Or is it the DWA-140 driver?

fcosenti wrote:

… but the error message is clear -  it says that the wireless network is disconnected…

Where are you seeing this error?  Even if I FORCE my wireless to go dead (by shutting off the Access Point) I never see this.   The video just dies (and usually crashes completely, requiring a reboot.)

TonyPh12345 wrote:

fcosenti wrote:

… but the error message is clear -  it says that the wireless network is disconnected…

Where are you seeing this error?  Even if I FORCE my wireless to go dead (by shutting off the Access Point) I never see this.   The video just dies (and usually crashes completely, requiring a reboot.)

Video stops, then I see a full screen message saying that the network is disconnected. Later when happens, I will take a photo of it.

Here it is:

1 Like

Not sure if the picture shows, it works on one of my PCs but not on the notebook.

Error message has 2 lines, they say:

There was a problem connecting to the network.

The device could not connect to the network.

Any idea?

fcosenti wrote:

Not sure if the picture shows, it works on one of my PCs but not on the notebook.

Error message has 2 lines, they say:

There was a problem connecting to the network.

The device could not connect to the network.

Any idea?

We have to wait for the forum mod to approve it.

I kinda get the gist without needing to see the picture.   Sorry to have distracted.

At any rate, it’s possible (and other users have reported same with different routers) that your router can’t keep up with the WDTV.   Even though it may work with other PC devices, there’s been people that have reported the same thing with DLINKs on occasion, while other people with “identical” setups have no issues at all.  

Are you saying that the same adapter you’re using in the WDTV works with no issues on the PC, or are you using a different adapter?

TonyPh12345 wrote:

I kinda get the gist without needing to see the picture.   Sorry to have distracted.

At any rate, it’s possible (and other users have reported same with different routers) that your router can’t keep up with the WDTV.   Even though it may work with other PC devices, there’s been people that have reported the same thing with DLINKs on occasion, while other people with “identical” setups have no issues at all.  

Are you saying that the same adapter you’re using in the WDTV works with no issues on the PC, or are you using a different adapter?

The other wireless-N that I tried is a Toshiba M750 tablet with Intel chipset. I then tried a few wireless-G adapters on other PCs, like Netgear. There are no wireless disconnections reported ever, not on the router log, not on the adapters.

The issue occurs after at least 20 minutes of playback, but sometimes, I can manage to watch 40 minutes before it occurs. One thing is certain - it is reproducible 100% of the times, I cannot watch one movie without being interrupted 2-3 times.

Important - we are talking about low resolution, low bitrate movies - not H.264 1080p and such. Yesterday it happened 3 times with an AVI 963 kbps of data rate only (that’s less than a Megabit!!). Movies are Italian classics from the 70s and 80s, so even audio is just stereo. I don’t think it is format dependent, they are different.

I am having a suspicion, not sure if possible. Am I correct in saying that WPA2/AES resends the passkey after a certain period of time? Is it possible that the device cannot handle this without disconnecting?

EDITED: You gave me an idea. I will try this DWA-140 dongle on a PC and see if the same thing happens.

Nope - it is 100% the WDTV Live fault, nothing to do with my setup or configuration.

I transferred the DWA-140 dongle to a Windows 7 64 bits PC sitting close to the WDTV Live. I removed its wired network, and  I connected to the same wireless network.

1. Signal is strong - network connects at 270 Mbps. Again I am close to the same WDTV Live location.

2. Movie plays from beginning to end without interruptions or disconnections.

if anyone from WD is reading, take note - you must update d-link drivers and/or wireless stack - they ■■■■.

IMPORTANT UPDATE - a few users are blaming the Billion 7800N router for uPNP DLNA issues.

I have the following two elements to bring forward - DLNA shares disappearance happen with a Samsung HT-C5550W home theater system as well, while with WDTV Live, if I simply access the SMB shares (not through DLNA), I can play the movies from the beginning to the end without interruptions.

Other users are telling me that the problem, regardless, is caused by WDTV Live’s zero tolerance for DLNA errors during playback. Playstation 3 reports errors during DLNA playback, but it continues without stopping. WDTV Live should do the same.