WD's FW development team has to be fired

After reading posts relating to the latest 2.07 FW which is found buggy and even more buggy apart from the other FWs, WD has to replace the FW development team who develop ■■■■ and not FW. Unless some measures are taken in this aspect, WD will be losing a lot of customers in the near future for sure…

Wake up WD and dont let customers loose confidence on you atleast hereafter by repeating the same mistake…

2 Likes

anfjavid wrote:

After reading posts relating to the latest 2.07 FW which is found buggy and even more buggy apart from the other FWs, WD has to replace the FW development team who develop ■■■■ and not FW. Unless some measures are taken in this aspect, WD will be losing a lot of customers in the near future for sure…

Wake up WD and dont let customers loose confidence on you atleast hereafter by repeating the same mistake…

I’m going to disagree with your statement here.  The firmware team is just most likely following orders from higher up.  It’s not like they get to pick and choose what they work on man.  Before you go off the handle because you’re disgruntled about the product, think about where to focus that anger.  I read these forums quite a bit and the FW team takes a beating just for doing what they’re told to do.  Instead of holding them accountable we should hold the executives and who ever is in charge of the FW team.  Personally I had no major issues with the latest firmware as I use the Live Hub strictly as a media player with local storage only.

So it’s not the Development team that needs to be fired.  It’s who ever is in charge of them, which is most likely who ever runs that who division… and even then I’m sure he’s getting his orders from the owners/investors/CEOs or whatever.  I think everyone calling WD office or sending letters/emails to their offices and managers would make more a difference than ranting on the forum.  Just my two cents.

Short answer is we don’t know.

Whatever the case, “they” ain’t getting the job done.

Reality is that the FW team is most likely outsourced to India or China. Now that is not to mean they are bad developers or incompetent but they will never visit these forums. That is the unfortunate part. 

Whatever the case, the whole testing process (testing new features/fixes and especially regression testing to make sure the changes broke nothing else) needs help and attention. Working features breaking from one release to another shows the testing process - whatever and whereever it is - is not thorough enough for a commercial product.

Not that a media player wtih broken features is as critical as unreliable medical devices or airplane/navigation equipment, but still…

Just two cents worth from a long time programmer/developer and one who has worked wtih in-sourced and out-sourced resources.

“Not Richard”

2 Likes

dfrench wrote:

Whatever the case, the whole testing process (testing new features/fixes and especially regression testing to make sure the changes broke nothing else) needs help and attention. Working features breaking from one release to another shows the testing process - whatever and whereever it is - is not thorough enough for a commercial product.

Not that a media player wtih broken features is as critical as unreliable medical devices or airplane/navigation equipment, but still…

Just two cents worth from a long time programmer/developer and one who has worked wtih in-sourced and out-sourced resources.

“Not Richard”

Interesting to get an insiders view on this. I’m not a programmer, but we have QA / QC procedures for anything we do at work. I would imagine any business / company that wants to stay in business has them too. Of course having procedures and making sure that they are followed are two different things. Also communication is important, if somebody makes a mistake, it needs to be reported back so that it can be fixed. I make it a point to report any problems back to WD or however is responsible. Just because a problem is posted here doesn’t mean that WD will know about it. Of course when I report a bug to WD and it isn’t fixed after four months …

@guardzero - Actually by FW development Team i meant the persons who delegate their orders are also responsible and not their subordinates alone… Sometime back i came across the ATI forum where several costumers were unsatisfied with the buggy ATI drivers which caused random crashes and restarts and incompatibility, etc, etc. They raised their voices against the FW development team only. As such i wast thinking its mostly because of the team’s inefficiency and carelessness the WD products are ruined…