WDPhoto changes file names during Upload to MBL

I have used the WD Photo Upload feature from my Android phone with no problem.  It adds the videos and photos to a directory on my MyBookLive using the same file names created on my phone.   However, when I tried this with an iPhone, all the pictures and videos were uploaded with different file names.  For example, the file name on the iphone may have been something like IMG00076.jpg but when uploaded, the file name is changed to WD_83B6.jpg.  The date taken for that file is 7/12/2013.  I was wondering if there was a relationship between the new file name and the date???  If there is then that is ok since the iphone file names have no meaning and date taken is not available on the videos.

Does anyone know why this happens or how to prevent it?  

Is there an algorithm that is used to create the file names that can be understood? 

I am very happy with this device, btw.  It is connected to my network via an ethernet cable and I use it to stream music, vidoes, and use files from several devices. The feature above is great as anytime I take videos or pictures they are automatically uploaded to my device (on android – can’t figure out how to do it automatically on my wife’s iphone!).

Hello and welcome,

Unfortunately this is a current limitation with the iOS version of WD photos, you might want to make the suggestion in the ideas section.

http://community.wd.com/t5/Software-Accessory-Ideas/idb-p/software_ideas

1 Like