WD1002FAEX not detected as physical drive in windlg

I bought this drive 5 months ago to replace a 3-month old Green that died and was subsequently RMA’d. Now I have an issue with this one. It was fine the last time that I used it, and as far as I recall, both it and my second Green were Safely Removed or I shut down Windows. The Green is still ok. All have been used in a dual drive dock on Windows 7 Pro.

Windows acknowledges that a device has been connected, and shows the drive letter in Explorer, but with no contents. Windlg (administrator) only shows the logical drive. It asks if I want to format the drive.

Is there any way to recover from this?

Hi, it is possible that the files in the hard drive got corrupted, you can try using a data recovery program, using Google you can find several free option you can use. 

I tried several different ones, including TestDisk which was the last. I waited until the logical drive showed up in Windows Explorer, which took a minute or so after the connection was acknowledged,  then ran the utilities. With TestDisk, after the partition table type was detected the next step is Analyze, which returned “Partition: Read Error”. I also tried the associated PhotoRec which didn’t work either.

Now what?