WD TV Live Firmware Version 103.22 Pre-release Update (6/9/10)

thanks for replying, Omy,

i haven’t seen any reference to the audio sync issues in any of the release notes for FW updates. can you confirm that this is still an issue that the dev team is working on fixing for this unit?

thanks.

Only a quick test:

After installed the firmware, I had reset to factory defaults… All DVD’s are ISO’s

DVD-Menu working, but I had see many black screens (must be unplug power cord to fix). May be I had tried resume play back on DVD Menu play back.

HDMI Auto on my Panasonic TH 46 S10 (German model) the the resolution to 1080p60 (i think so, because video play back from dvd iso flicker in this mode).

One big issue for me is not  fixed: AC3 2.0 is stil PCM 2.0 on my external Audio Receiver.

This cause problems, if the audio format later changed to AC3 5.1 ( this are records from my  satellite receiver).

Audio output ist set to Digtial without HDMI Audio.

Resume play back of  a DVD ISO may happen i a wrong Aspect ratio. (on 720p50 Rgb Low)

I had see a  USB crash (disk was missing). → must unplug power cord.

bsp1965 wrote:

here we go again!!! pre release is unstable and not working properly  when i have either of my 1.5 tb seagate drives hooked up it just keeps “scanning the attached usb device” ( light flashing on right side of wdlive box) it has been doing this now for 9 hours.if i try to view anything on my drive it  will  lock up and needs to be rebooted. if i dont have a drive hooked up then it works fine by itself.

After a firmware upgrade, sometimes weird issues non-specific to the firmware can occur, or features don’t work properly.

Try the following in sequence:

1)  Hard Reset

Press the reset button on the side of the unit.  Unit will reboot.

2)  Reset to Factory Defaults

Go to Settings > System Setting > Reset to Factory Defaults.  Unit will reboot.

3)  Power Cycle (aka ‘Pull the Plug’)

Unplug the power cord from the unit.  Let it sit without power for 5-10 minutes.  Plug the power back in and the unit will power up.

The above is pretty much mandatory following firmware changes as sometimes things don’t “bed-in” as they’re meant to. 

Great seeing wd still cares about the product! I have tried the new beta but my usb pen still isn’t recognized :frowning:

Noticed:

The automatic on screen audio-info message at the beginning of any movie has been removed.

On screen menu (defaults)

photo - local drive - all photos

music - local drive - all music

video - local drive - folders   (why is ‘folders’ the default and not ‘all videos’)

Hexnut wrote:

Does photo and video sort by date work for network shares now?

Surely someone who has flashed this beta firmware could check this please?

This feature was supposed to be added in the past.

I am asking nicely.

Thank you.

Hexnut wrote:

Hexnut wrote:

I am asking nicely.

Thank you.

There is no facility to do anything with photos via network shares. You basically select the share and up comes the shared folder(s). If the folder has photos in it then the photos are displayed. I can see no user sorting of any kind. The only way you can select sorting is via the media library where you have a directly connected disc.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Make SURE that the Workgroup name on your NAS is EXACTLY the same as your WDTV.    The WDTV defaults to “WORKGROUP”  Make sure your NAS is the same.

I suspect that’s what this bullet in the release notes:

File share group name – Network names must now match.

was referring to.

Can the WDTV’s workgroup name be changed, or is it stuck on “WORKGROUP?”

Also, is the “Network drops after 4 minutes” issue fixed with this beta release? (Now that I’ve read all the posts up to mine, it doesn’t look like it’s every been properly addressed…)

TheTooleMan wrote:

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Make SURE that the Workgroup name on your NAS is EXACTLY the same as your WDTV.    The WDTV defaults to “WORKGROUP”  Make sure your NAS is the same.

I suspect that’s what this bullet in the release notes:

File share group name – Network names must now match.

was referring to.

Can the WDTV’s workgroup name be changed, or is it stuck on “WORKGROUP?”

Also, is the “Network drops after 4 minutes” issue fixed with this beta release? (Now that I’ve read all the posts up to mine, it doesn’t look like it’s every been properly addressed…)

Yes, there is a workgroup setting you can edit.

richUK wrote:

Hexnut wrote:

Hexnut wrote:

I am asking nicely.

Thank you.

There is no facility to do anything with photos via network shares. You basically select the share and up comes the shared folder(s). If the folder has photos in it then the photos are displayed. I can see no user sorting of any kind. The only way you can select sorting is via the media library where you have a directly connected disc.

Thank you RichUK!

WD: Would you please look into adding this feature especially for videos?

The latest official firmware changelog implies that it has been added but this only works for directly attached drives.

This would be very helpful for those of us who record TV programs to a PC share, then use the WDTVLive as a media extender.

Thank you all for your time.

Dolby True HD will not play this beta firmware-hiss from speakers. Resetting did (on a formal 1.02.21 Dolby True HD - OK).
Does someone working Dolby True HD at this beta firmware?

OK, I loaded the beta firmware and the upgrade went well. I was anxious to try out the DVD Navigation to see how it worked.

I opened the file, hit enter and the menu file plays. But, I can’t move from option to option. The file plays, then moves to the next file, the chapter menu. It plays, then moves to the 1st movie file. I can’t move around the chapters to select a specific chapter. I open the option menu, and the Subtitles state no subtitles, although this is a foreign film, I can’t select English Subtitles. I opened the film in Windows Media player, and I select chapters, and the correct subtitle file. It all works properly.

Am I doing this wrong? Thanks.

Howdy JinLA…  Welcome aboard!

I think you are doing it wrong, but it’s because it’s not obvious how to do this.   I played with it all last night before figuring it out.

If you have the DVD as an ISO (meaning, the whole DVD is inside ONE FILE), then playing that (via PLAY or ENTER button) should enable navigation.

If you have a VIDEO_TS Folder with lots of VOB/IFO/BUP files, then “Usually,” PLAYing the FIRST FILE will enable menus.

Give that a try!

1 Like

TonyPh12345 wrote:

If you have a VIDEO_TS Folder with lots of VOB/IFO/BUP files, then “Usually,” PLAYing the FIRST FILE will enable menus.

Hi Tony, thanks for te reply.

Yes, this is how I am doing it. I found the movie directory, opened it, and found the first file, VIDEO_TS.VOB and hit play. I get the menu, but I can’t navigate through it at all. It plays through, then moves on to the next file, the chapter menu VIDEO_01_0.VOB etc. I have no navigation abilities at all. Am I supposed to be able to hit the arrow keys and move from option to option to select the feature or chapter I want?

My first guess is that the rip is bad, and the PGC chains aren’t valid.  

Yes, you should be able to navigate the selections using the Four-way buttons, using the “Enter” button as the selector.    If you need to bounce back to the MENU, then hit OPTION (to bring up the option bar)->click the MENU icon->OPTION (to dismiss the option bar.)

It just plain should work the way you think it should.  :)

Try these steps (which, unfortunately, are required after some firmware upgrades)

Do a reset.   Try again.

Poke the reset button with a paperclip.  Try again.

Unplug the power for a while (several minutes) and plug back in.  Try again.

If that doesn’t help, 

How did you rip the DVDs?

When I rip mine, I just use DVDFab  DVD->DVD.

I haven’t come across one yet that didn’t work.

1 Like

well   back to current production firmware… this release has no network function for me except media shares on the same workgroup…   After rolling back all functionality (network) has returned…  let me know when you have an updated beta and I will try again…

@JohninLA Try pressing ENTER instead of Play.

1 Like

Network Sharing is not working.  
I 've reset the device and cleared all network passwords.

My network sharing works fine with either firmware. I suspect networking issues not the WD Live.

Network Issues are accessing the network from the WD Live… all sharing of WD Live on the network appears to work as designed…

Workgroup only effects streaming no network share availible to access from any function, video music photos maintinance.

I have a mixed network with VISTA MAC and Ubuntu    

side note:  wrokgroup assignment not done for MAC so no streaming access there either…

It all works when rolled back…