WD TV Live AAC 5.1 problem

when playing MKV files with AAC 5.1 encoded audio, there are random glitches in the audio.  The glitches happen mostly during loud sections and it almost appears to be clipping.

I can play the same file on my computer using several different players (DIVX, WMP) and on my Samsung TV with no problem so I don’t think is an encoding issue.  Also, DTS encoded audio plays fine.

Has anyone else experience this?

I am having a similar or perhaps related problem.  Audio drops, periods of silence, out for me on a regular basis and I have pops that are remeniscent of an old record.  The drops do only happen during loud parts but they are random.  I have confirmed this by watching the same video several times (thanks to my 3 year old) and the audio drops definitely happen during different times.

I am using HDMI for audio output and have not confirmed this behaviour using analog audio output as I cannot get the WDTV Live to output analog audio while I have HDMI connected.

Edit: The pops are somewhere between an old record and the snap, crackle and pop of rice crispies.

I have exactly the same problem with the 5.1 aac audio.

I tested this in WD TV first generation and plays fine the movie.

It is a firmware problem.I hope to a solusion from WD with next firmware.

I am having the same problem too. Will be back with more info

Do we have any answers or insight into this yet?

I just had a guest exclaim that it was unwatchable and had to use my xbox360 to watch the video.  Embarrassing.

I’ve changed to componant in and the audio is perfect.   This will do for now.  I wish we could use analog audio out while using HDMI for video.

I am also having the problem. audio of all types (surround, stereo, aac, in mkv containers, VOB DVD files with audio tracks of all types DD 5.1, DTS) drops out unpredictably and repeatedly. Previous poster is correct: it makes videos unviewable.

I am hooked up through HDMI as well, and suspect the problem is somehow with that on this particular model. I have hooked up the exact same hard drive, same HDMI cable, same TV, same input. and played the exact same files on the first generation WDTV (I own two of them), and have absolutely none of this audio dropout issue on them. However, those two suffer from varying degrees of audio sync issues.

When will we get an anwer to this problem WD? Is there a moderator out there? We have an identified problem, and so far, no proposed solutions.

PS this problem existed out of the box, and was unchanged by the latest firmware update.

This seems to happen to me with every file I play.  Most files I play are xvid with mp3 audio and are low resolution.  However I seem to have found a work around that may point at the reason.

I switched my HDMI video settings from 1080p/60hz to 720p/60hz and the problem went away.  I have only watched a couple of minutes of video as I had the idea and tried it this morning before I left for work.  I still thought the finding was worth sharing too.  I will report back after I’ve watched more videos. 

This points to a number of possibilities.

• a bug in the WDTV Live
  • the WDTV Live hardware is unable to keep up
  • my HDMI cable is unable to carry the bandwidth
  • there is something wrong with the HDMI input of my tv

I checked my receipt, as I bought online it was in gmail, and my cable is supposed to be hdmi 1.3a.  It is also only 3 feet long so I doubt it is the cable.  I will try my XBOX 360’s cable as I have it set to 1080p and the audio is fine.

Again my TV is working fine with my XBOX360.  My TV’s input should be ok.

Those of you suffering from this issue; have you tried a lower resolution?

This points to a number of possibilities.

1. - a bug in the WDTV Live

2. - the WDTV Live hardware is unable to keep up

3. - my HDMI cable is unable to carry the bandwidth

4. - there is something wrong with the HDMI input of my tv

5. very likely the problem…aac decoding?

6. & 3. unlikely to be wdtv live h/w or my hdmi cables.

why? coz it can play a 1080p mkv perfectly

Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                   : High@L4.0
Bit rate                         : 9 719 Kbps
Nominal bit rate                 : 9 928 Kbps
Width                            : 1 920 pixels
Height                           : 824 pixels
Stream size                      : 12.1 GiB (92%)

Format                           : AC-3
Bit rate mode                    : Constant
Bit rate                         : 640 Kbps
Channel(s)                       : 6 channels

but audio stutters like crazy with most of my 720p mp4 media

Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                   : High@L4.1
Bit rate                         : 1 865 Kbps
Maximum bit rate                 : 5 602 Kbps

Width                            : 1 280 pixels
Height                           : 720 pixels

Stream size                      : 1.29 GiB (90%)

Format                           : AAC
Bit rate mode                    : Variable
Bit rate                         : 192 Kbps
Maximum bit rate                 : 291 Kbps
Channel(s)                       : 6 channels

For me it is dropping out on simple low resolution xvid videos with mp3 audio.

Just got a WDTV Live straight out of the box the audio drops out on every file and audio format I have played through HDMI… whats up with this?

Should I take this WDTV box back for a refund and go with somehting else?

Try setting the resolution to 720p and report back please.

Ok Will do…

I have encountered another problem though sometimes when I turn it on  I get a blank screen …then I try to turn it off via remote and it will not turn off I have to unplug it to reset it…strange

Hacku wrote:

Ok Will do…

I have encountered another problem though sometimes when I turn it on  I get a blank screen …then I try to turn it off via remote and it will not turn off I have to unplug it to reset it…strange

Are you using any media server, like TVersity? I had it working with normal shares first, then with Twonky… but right after installing TVersity I got what you mentioned twice, though it worked fine after resetting both times. I uninstalled it and haven’t got any of those lockups again (it’s been 4 days or so now)

Having trouble with aac audio with my wd tv live too, lots of clicks and pops here and there

Using composite, video plays smooth even with audio difficulties

This is what mediainfo says about a file with audio problems:

Nome completo : asd.mkv
Formato : Matroska
Dimensione : 4,38 GiB
Durata : 2h 42min
BitRate totale : 3 870 Kbps
Data di codifica : UTC 2009-08-29 11:52:42
Creato con : mkvmerge v2.9.7 ('Tenderness') built on Jul 1 2009 18:43:35
Compressore : libebml v0.7.7 + libmatroska v0.8.1

Video
ID : 1
Formato : AVC
Formato/Informazioni : Advanced Video Codec
Profilo del formato : High@L4.1
Impostazioni del formato, CABAC : Si 
Impostazioni del formato, ReFram : 6 fotogrammi
Modalità di muxing : Container profile=Unknown@4.1
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Durata : 2h 41min
BitRate nominale : 3 449 Kbps
Larghezza : 1 280 pixel
Altezza : 532 pixel
AspectRatio : 2,40:1
FrameRate : 23,976 fps
Risoluzione : 8 bits
Colorimetria : 4:2:0
Tipo di scansione : Progressivo
Bit/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.211
Titolo : AVC HD 720p
Compressore : x264 core 68 r1183M f21daff
Impostazioni compressione : cabac=1 / ref=6 / deblock=1:-2:-1 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=umh / subme=9 / psy_rd=1.0:0.0 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=32 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=6 / nr=0 / decimate=0 / mbaff=0 / bframes=2 / b_pyramid=1 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / wpredb=1 / keyint=240 / keyint_min=24 / scenecut=40 / rc=2pass / bitrate=3449 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / vbv_maxrate=45000 / vbv_bufsize=45000 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30 / aq=1:1.00

Audio #1
ID : 2
Formato : AAC
Formato/Informazioni : Advanced Audio Codec
Versione del formato : Version 4
Profilo del formato : LC
Impostazioni del formato, SBR : No
Codec ID : A_AAC
Canali : 6 canali
Posizione dei canali : Front: L C R, Rear: L R, LFE
SamplingRate : 48,0 KHz
Titolo : Italiano AAC 5.1 256kbps
Lingua : Italiano

Audio #2
ID : 3
Formato : AAC
Formato/Informazioni : Advanced Audio Codec
Versione del formato : Version 4
Profilo del formato : LC
Impostazioni del formato, SBR : Si 
Impostazioni del formato, PS : No
Codec ID : A_AAC
Canali : 6 canali
Posizione dei canali : Front: L C R, Rear: L R, LFE
SamplingRate : 48,0 KHz
Titolo : Inglese AAC 5.1 160kbps
Lingua : Inglese

No Mine is hooked up direct via USB to hard drive…

I am also experiencing the issue.  I get random pops in the AAC audio and it usually results in loss of sync.  Strangely, it will sometimes pop and jump back to sync’d.  I notice the issue on AC-3 audio as well.  DTS has been pretty reliable, but it’s not always available.  It’s pretty upsetting because even Windows Media Player can pull it off.  I hope WD is working on a fix.

Anybody try reencodes?  Or know of any info about what encoding parameters work best on the WD TV Live?

stradric wrote:

Anybody try reencodes?  Or know of any info about what encoding parameters work best on the WD TV Live?

Yes, I tried reencoding…converted every mkv with aac 5.1 inside in ac3 (using a quick tool called audioconverver) and now everything works fine with ac3, even with 1080 content no click, no stutter, wonderful.

It’s strange you can hear clicking in ac3 audio, in my tests every aac 5.1 clicks randomly but ac3 seems not affected so far…

I attach another mediainfo log of another file, mkv with aac 5.1, but converted with different options from the one posted before, I get clicks/pops as on every other file with aac 5.1 audio stream

You can see the following file has 2 aac streams: the 5.1 one clicks/pops randomly, the stereo one appears to be fine.

Converting the aac 5.1 in ac3 solved, but I’m pretty sure something is broken in aac 5.1 support (maybe in the downmix to stereo process)

General
Complete name : D:\a file.mkv
Format : Matroska
File size : 1.45 GiB
Duration : 2h 5mn
Overall bit rate : 1 653 Kbps
Encoded date : UTC 2006-10-14 14:52:39
Writing application : mkvmerge v1.7.0 ('What Do You Take Me For') built on Apr 28 2006 17:20:19
Writing library : libebml v0.7.7 + libmatroska v0.8.0
Cover : Yes / Yes / Yes / Yes / Yes

Video
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L5.1
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 6 frames
Muxing mode : Container profile=Unknown@5.1
Nominal bit rate : 1 322 Kbps
Width : 720 pixels
Height : 432 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 2.463
Original display aspect ratio : 1.667
Frame rate : 25.000 fps
Resolution : 8 bits
Colorimetry : 4:2:0
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.170
Writing library : x264 core 53 svn-578M
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=3 / deblock=1:-2:-2 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=6 / brdo=0 / mixed_ref=0 / me_range=12 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / chroma_qp_offset=0 / slices=1 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / mbaff=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=1 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / wpredb=1 / bime=0 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / rc=2pass / bitrate=1322 / ratetol=1.0 / rceq='blurCplx^(1-qComp)' / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30 / zones
Language : Italian

Audio #1
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format version : Version 4
Format profile : LC
Format settings, SBR : Yes
Format settings, PS : No
Codec ID : A_AAC/MPEG4/LC/SBR
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Language : Italian

Audio #2
ID : 3
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format version : Version 4
Format profile : LC
Format settings, SBR : Yes
Format settings, PS : No
Codec ID : A_AAC/MPEG4/LC/SBR
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Language : English

Check this thing of the aac 5.1, please

I’m still not sure it’s a firmware/player bug or maybe my player with defecting hardware…

Thanks.  Here is the MediaInfo on the file I was getting random pops and desynched audio:

General
Format : Matroska
File size : 4.17 GiB
Duration : 1h 55mn
Overall bit rate : 5 170 Kbps
Encoded date : UTC 2009-12-30 15:37:01
Writing application : mkvmerge v3.0.0 ('Hang up your Hang-Ups') built on Dec 12 2009 15:20:35
Writing library : libebml v0.7.9 + libmatroska v0.8.1

Video
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L3.2
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 7 frames
Muxing mode : Container profile=Unknown@3.2
Bit rate : 4 683 Kbps
Nominal bit rate : 4 786 Kbps
Width : 1 280 pixels
Height : 544 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 2.35:1
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Resolution : 8 bits
Colorimetry : 4:2:0
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.280
Stream size : 3.77 GiB (90%)
Writing library : x264 core 68 r1183M f21daff
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=7 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=hex / subme=7 / psy_rd=1.0:0.0 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=0 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / chroma_qp_offset=-4 / threads=3 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / mbaff=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=1 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / wpredb=1 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / rc=2pass / bitrate=4786 / ratetol=2.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30 / aq=1:1.00 / zones=156742,165952,q=40
Language : English

Audio
Format : AC-3
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
Codec ID : A_AC3
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 384 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : L R
Stream size : 317 MiB (7%)

As you can see, it’s AC-3.   So far I’ve had good luck with MPEG audio and DTS.   But AAC and AC-3 give me problems.  I haven’t tried re-encodes, but I’m looking into it.  It’s not exactly an easy thing to test with AC-3 either.  With AAC, the desynch comes very early on usually.  But with AC-3 it will happen after like 30 minutes or something.

With that file above, the video actually went into slo mo and the sound was off.  I had to stop it and restart it from the beginning and then fast forward in order to get it to work again.  I’m guessing it’s a firmware issue because the hardware seems to be able to keep up fine.

All my AC-3 movies are excellent sound quality.

AAC has no sound at all. Sound is connected thru optical out to amplifier.

■■■■■!