WD SmartWare menu bar icon

Hello all. Here’s a question I need answered, or I’m pretty sure I’ll be returning the drive.

How IN THE WORLD can I remove the WD SmartWare icon from my menu bar?

Thank you!

Uninstall the software.

The software is not installed. The icon just appears every time I plug My Passport.

It did install if you ran the backup software.

just run the “WD SmartWare Uninstaller” located in the extras folder on the virtual WD SmartWare CD and the icon will disappear as long as you don’t run the backup software again.

(btw, i keep my drive locked and use ‘DriveUnlock’ from the dock, works great…)

Sorry for not replying in such a long time.

I don’t remember how I’ve managed this but there’s absolutely nothing in the drive (except from the stuff I put in it)

which means that there’s not an extras folder or anything else.

I had the same problem!

What I did (after almost throwing it off the window…) was that I installed the software Clean My Mac and when opened went to the left side menu Utilities - Manage extensions - Plugins - Startup itens and there it was the blessed WD Smartware hidden (even with the fact that I never installed it, just like you said).

I just deleted it and it never showed up again in the bar :slight_smile:

Hope it helps you!

I already had CleanMyMac but never thought of that. I tried it, thought it worked and clicked your answer ‘Mark as solution’ but it turns out it didn’t work after all. The icon still comes up after I plug in my external hard drive…

I just finally found a solution.

It turns out I had installed the software and then I had unsuccessfully uninstalled it.

I downloaded it again and in the Extras folder I ran the WD SmartWare Uninstaller.app which finally removed the stupid icon from my menu bar! :smileyvery-happy: