WD Customer Support remote access to your Cloud?

Just wondering how many users have had Customer Support access their Cloud device remotely?

I have always kept a close eye on my Cloud due to the sleep issues. I have noticed that ever since I resolved the problem of sleep, the number of  “sess_frf0blbq7carmbhdhmgtv8nd12” (session files) under the tmp directory has been reduced to one, whereas before I would get at least a couple of dozen session files generated (cron is always off).

Ever since the 30 or 40 exact wake up interval of 29.5 minutes, that occured about a year ago, probably generated by the remote WD server, I have always thought that WD themselves can remotely access our device once we have set it up. I turned off remote access and the 29.5 minute wake up stopped, which also could have been my Cloud trying to access the downed WD server.

Just curious.  

Hi, I have a My Cloud and a My Cloud EX 2, both with remote access on and I do not see this. If you turn on the remote access again, does it start to act as before?

The 29.5 minute wakeup only occur once last year during the time when WD servers were having problems. Ever since that time it has not occur again.

Tthe 29.5 minute wakeup means that the hard drive has been accessed, which probably means a log has been written. It could be a ping back from the WD servers or a program from the Cloud client side trying to access a dead WD server?

The other problem is the build-up of session  files in the tmp directory has simply  been annoying, as since I don’t run cron, I keep an eye on whether the tmp directory fills up since it is a ram drive. I assume that the session files indicates a SSH but I don’t recall having log on that many times.

Suddenly it has stopped. There is only one session file in tmp when I log on now.

So both of these items indicates outside or program influences.

I am wondering if WD are able to access our clouds for tech support and for other reasons?

Well, I suspect they can access the devices, since I’ve seen a number reports of people saying they’ve had support examine their system. But you’d hope that would be with some user permission; I wouldn’t want anyone to be able to access my derives without my explicit permission and only under my control.

I guess those reports could have been referring to the System Report file.

cpt_paranoia wrote:

Well, I suspect they can access the devices, since I’ve seen a number reports of people saying they’ve had support examine their system. But you’d hope that would be with some user permission; I wouldn’t want anyone to be able to access my derives without my explicit permission and only under my control.

I guess those reports could have been referring to the System Report file.

yes I heard the same things that people are having support examine their system.

Although I had had tech support call me once back in 2014 when I first bought my Cloud  and they had requested the System Report file and they took it without so much as thank you or we will let you know; they never let me know.

So I doubt it is the System Report file that they are examining immediately.

Would be nice if someone who had experienced the remote examination to speak up 

Hi Guys,

I can shed some light on a couple of things:

1. Support has absolutely no “automatic” access to your My Cloud or operating system.  Due to the more complex nature of the My Cloud, we can request remote access from a user in order to assist supporting them.  However, they have to allow us to access their system in order to do this; which by definition means that they are giving us permission to do so.  
  2. When support requests a log file from you, it actually goes to product people for review to determine what might be going on inside your drive. Support really isn’t doing anything with the file. They’re just passing it along. I apologize if the process seems a little sterile. I will pass this along for the support agents to be made aware of. We should definitely be more appreciative of your willingness to help.
1 Like

Appreciate the light Bill_S…