USB Drives not turning off when Live Hub is powered down

I guess the main issue as i see it is when the Live Hub is powering down it enters a hybernation or suspend state and it doesn’t turn off the external drives or give the signal of suspend to the external hard disks. Can you address this issue in the next firmware. I would like to save the life of my drives when the Hub is not in use. I have a WD Live box also and it turns off the USB drives when it is powered down so it seems like a simple fix. I have a WD Mybook 1TB drive and a Seagate 2TB drive, both stay on when Live Hub is turned off. I am currently using FW 2.04.13 though i haven’t seen this issue addressed in the newer firmwares.

Doesn’t it need to leave the drives on so that it can serve the files off them while it’s in “standby”?

Wouldn’t either "Eject"ing the drives before going into standby, or "Eject"ing the drives before fully powering the Hub off be a better solution?

Not being a programmer I am not sure as to how the technical fix would be… however, ejecting the drives upon shutdown would be a good fix. Maybe when you hit the power button on the remote would put 2 options, shutdown and standby. Then you can decide which option you want, eject or normal. Another side issue of not having the disks ejected upon standby or power down is when you take them from computer to computer, windows wants to perform an integrity check every time. Either way there should be some option to deciding what state to leave the HDD’s when they are not in use.

Leaving the power on the drives during standby is actually how the HUB is supposed to opperate.   This, as it’s name impleys, is because the HUB is supposed to act as a centralized media server and so you can access the media on the HUB’s internal drive or attached drives from your PC or another media player even when it is in standby.

Also, you can already put the HUB into complete shutdown by holding  the Power button for more than 3 sec. on the remote.

1 Like