Unresponsive remote

The remote control for my wdtv live SMP has been extremely unresponsive since updating to firmware 2.0. My batteries are new and I have the same problem with my Logitech harmony remote. The funny part is when I get to a keyboard screen (e.g. looking for contact info), the buttons respond like normal. But when navigating any of the other menus I have to press an arrow button multiple times and sometimes the unit responds as if I were holding down the arrow. Does anyone else have this problem?

I had this same issue with one of my two SMPs and rolled back the firmware.  The way it responds looks like the CPU is tied up running some process so doesn’t respond, but it has read your button presses, so when the CPU finally gets a chance to run something else, it suddenly executes all your button presses.  I frankly have not had time to see just what might be triggering this; I needed a working unit so rolled back the firmware (which fixed it).  What is weird is that I have not had to do this with my second SMP.  The unit that needed to be rolled back is heavily used for Netflix, while the other is only rarely used for Netflix.

Anyway, it is not your remote that is unresponsive, it is the SMP unit.

Do you see any pattern for when this occurs?  I.e., try rebooting the unit and using it until the problem occurs again. 

I did a hard reset by holding down the power off button on my remote for a few seconds.  That seems to have fixed the problem temporarily for now, so I’ll have to keep a closer eye when the problem reoccurs (which it will).  I used my SMP exclusively for streaming videos via network share, my media library, or media server.  Maybe I have too many folders with too many files shared, or maybe it’s the interval I have setup for auto refresh.  Anyway I gave up using the SMP to view Netflix because it is so slow to load up, and takes minutes before I can get 1080p quality, and the unit tends to crash when viewing Netflix content too.  I use my sony blu-ray for watching Netflix now.

I think this latest version has a memory leak somewhere, or processes which go “Zombie.”

I have to reboot mine maybe once or twice a week due to slowness.