Unable to install Twonky onto MBL using official WD .deb patch (error 31101)

I’ve spent my first week with my MyBookLive banging my head against my desk trying to install TwonkyMedia onto it. I’ve happily been using TwonkyMedia 6.0.31 on my PC to stream media wirelessly to my Panasonic Viera TV for three years now. I just can’t stream the same video files using WD’s DLNA media server, even though WD’s DLNA media server shows up on my TV and shows me the files with their respective thumbnails (this is not a file formats issue, these files/videos do play on my TV when streamed from my PC).

I’ve tried manually installing the .deb file to switch between TwonkyMedia and WD’s DLNA Media Server, as instructed here by WD:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5735/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMzgxNTI3MDcxL3NpZC9Td084THlDbA%3D%3D

However, all i get is the same error 31101 ‘invalid firmware package’.

Please can someone help? I don’t want to take the My Book Live back to the store because I’m confident that it’s only a matter of replacing the WD server with Twonky’s server.

My firmware version is 02.43.03-022 : Core F/W.

1 Like

The very first image has this on top of it:

WD page:

Go to the Media tab in the My Book Live’s dashboard, and if it displays like the image below, then the patches will not work.        

That means you can’t use Twonky if your MBL already came with the WD dlna server. The option to switch back is for people with older MBL that came with twonky, so THOSE MBL get to use both, the new ones don’t.

Thanks for responding. The problem is that the WD DLNA server just doesn’t want to stream video to my Panasonic TV. How can I replace it with a more friendly server like Twonky?

1 Like

pandius wrote:
Thanks for responding. The problem is that the WD DLNA server just doesn’t want to stream video to my Panasonic TV. How can I replace it with a more friendly server like Twonky?

You can do that via SSH commands and PUTTY (Voids warranty), you’ll get a bricked unit you can’t replace if you do it wrong.

If you don’t know what SSH and PUTTY are then that’s the first sign you shouldn’t do it.

This might help

WD MyBook Live Error 31101 message invalid firmware package

http://community.twonky.com/twonky/topics/wd_mybook_live_error_31101_message_invalid_firmware_package

Yes, you will need to enable SSH

Hi there,

I followed all the steps and reset my WD MBL 3TB to original firmware version. I’m using an app called Bubbleupnp to stream content from my WD to my TV. But although I’m picking up the WD and the TV on the app, it’s not seeing any files in the library. I have a video file (.avi) saved in the Shared Video folder and this was picked up by the app before I started down this road…

Any ideas???

I should add that the reason I’m rolling back to Twonky is that the WD DLNA media server that comes as default on the new firmware was stuttering and buffering when streaming video so I was advised to try Twonky instead…

1 Like