Transfer speeds and files not showing

hey guys n gals.

couple of issues here and im afraid im a bit of a novice  so will give what info i can. Firstly my transfer speed is terrible. im connected to netgear 1/100mbs switch to my sky fiber router. even if i hard wire my laptop  its still slow.  Any thoughts?

secondly. my book is connected to my LG smart tv but it only shows about 1/3of the movies i have on my device. from A to H nothing else. even when added another movie that was within the alphebet range it does not show it.  as i brought the device mainly for this reason im a bit cheesed off.  Again thoughts or help please. before mybook getsmy boot!!!

sharky69 wrote:

hey guys n gals.

couple of issues here and im afraid im a bit of a novice  so will give what info i can. Firstly my transfer speed is terrible. im connected to netgear 1/100mbs switch to my sky fiber router. even if i hard wire my laptop  its still slow. 

You’re going to need to be more specific.  “It’s still slow” doesn’t tell us anything.   What transfer rates, exactly, are you seeing/

If you’re using a 10/100 switch, the absolute best you should expect is 11 megabytes per second.  If you’re using wireless, expect significantly less than that.

sharky69 wrote:

secondly. my book is connected to my LG smart tv but it only shows about 1/3of the movies i have on my device. 

Which DLNA server came installed on your MBL?   Older MBLs have Twonky 5.1.9, newer ones have WD’s “Access DLNA” server.   You can tell by logging into the MBL and looking in the Media section.

I’m using DLNA. 

Where does it show my download rate?   im using SKY fibre broadband. Tests show up to 33mps download speeds over all but im very sure thats not what you mean. 

Another quirk ive found is that a few of the movie files that play effortless  on my TV through my external harddrive, wont play. says file error but others that are identical file types play perfectly…

watch the skies for low flying mybook!! 

will it run any quicker if i use  a 10/100/1000mps switch?

sharky69 wrote:

will it run any quicker if i use  a 10/100/1000mps switch?

It will only run as fast as the slowest link in the chain.

If your network is 10/100, then moving everything to a 10/100/1000 switch will be up to 10x faster.