SmartWare Pro and Network Drives

What is the secret to making SmartWare Pro (2.4.2) recognize a My Book drive connected to a router on a home network. I want to share the drive with other PC’s on the network. The connection uses a USB port on the router. My Kaspersky trusts SmartWare Pro. Sorry if this is a question that has been asked and answered a zillion times but after 3-4 hours of searching I cannot find a definitive answer. If SmartWare Pro can’t recognize a network drive, I’d say this is a serious, unexpected deficiency. I’ll even map the drive myself if necessary. The best however would be to have SWP keep the name of the Share and either have SWP use that or map a drive itself for backups and restores. Failing that though I can set it up myself to happen automatically, if SWP is locked into a particularly drive letter.

Hi and welcome to the WD community.

The only way a My Book drive would show up in smatware while connected to a router is if the unit is connected to one of our WD MY Net routers

Thanks but then… What’s special about WD MyNet routers? I am currently using a NetGear router but will be switching to a modem/router provided my ISP, Bell Canada. I already have the new router and possibly it does whatever is needed for SWP (on my XP SP3 laptop) to recognize and work with the My Book drive. By the way, the My Book drive and SWP work fine when the drive is connected locally to my laptop. As far as when connected to the Netgear router, Windows Explorer can see the My Book drive when it’s on the router and I can do everything to it I can do to a locally connected drive and my harddrive.