Smartware 1.3.0.16 crashes!

I had the same problem, so I suspected interference. This is what I did:

1. Ran Shortcut to Internet from Control Panel and deleted all browsing history

2. Ran disk Cleanup

3. Ran REgcure (registry cure) you can use Paretologic or Uniblue, costs you a bit though

4. Ran Paretologic Privacy Controls (comes with the above)

5. Ran Paretologic Driver Cure 9comes with the above)

6. Scheduled a Check Disk on START/PROGRAMS/ACCESSORIES/COMMAND PROMPT (dos window)

by entering: cd…  cd…  chkdsk/f    Y

1. rebooted for all to take hold

This cleans your PC from all unnecessary interference.

Then I reloaded the upload.

When it first started after all that, it blocked itself  on it’s HOME page, did not want to go to BACKUP

So I rebooted again.

After that it blocked itself in the BACKUP page, did not want to initiallize the back up process

So I rebooted again, always out of Windows START, not cold boot.

This time everything worked well, but I did have to leave the PC completely alone for about 20 minutes to have it sort itself out.

Hope this helps.

Same problem here!

My Passport Essential SE 1TB.

WinXP (32 bit Spanish) SP3 with all updates.

.NET Framework 3.5 SP1 with all updates.

Bought this package to implement automatic backups on every computer of my company.

And not even able to start it!

One note at the bottom of the firmware upgrade page:

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/wdsmartwareupdate/step1.asp?id=wdfMP_SEEssential&os=win

says that this information is applicacble only to drives manufactured after June 15, 2010 (fifth character of the DCM code is a letter “H” or later) which is not my case. However, I could install firmware upgrade without problem, but cannot do WD SmartWare upgrade.

Tried also downloading full image package. When manually installing WD SmartWare, it fails when trying to start “WD File Management Shadow Engine” (file WDSC.exe). On Windows Event Viewer, Application, the following event ID 11920 appears:

Product: WD SmartWare – Error 1920. Service ‘WD File Management Shadow Engine’ (WDSC) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

However I’m looged in with Administrator privileges.

Please WD find a solution for this problem!

Faulting application WDFME.exe, version 1.3.0.16, faulting module mscorwks.dll version 2.0.50727.3615, fault address 0x0025a70e.  While I’m glad to know I’m not alone with this problem, it is troubling that there are months of posts about the problem.  after DAYS of dealing with these crashes since the original install, the drive contains only 2GB of what is a 1TB backup.  WESTERN DIGITAL: this app ■■■■■!

See my follow-up, after a long night of working the problem, describing what I’ve done to get WD SmartWare to work on my 32bit system.  Link To Forum Post

For those receiving error messages referring to “(x86)” in the path to a file not found, something is going on between the 64bit “Program Files” path, and the 32 bit “Program Files (x86)” path on your “C” drive.  I suggest you check below both the “Program Files” and “Program Files (x86)” paths in your “C” drive root to see where WDC is putting the install, under 64bit, or 32bit.  Depending on where the install fails, if you find “Western Digital\WD Smarware” under one path and not the other (should be only one), you may be able to fool the problem by duplicating that folder and contents under the other patch.  At least, that’s what I’d try next.

Good Luck!

After months of 1.3.0.16 WDFME.exe crash and burns, the latest WDSmartware update, version 1.4.1.1, worked right out of the box! Not one WDFME.exe crash since I installed it three days ago. I have a Sony VIAO, Pentium 4, 512 MB RAM, and Windows XP. WDSmartware is still a resource hog, but its better than restarting your PC every 10 minutes after every WDFME crash. A significant improvement indeed.