Setting up multiple backups in SmartWare

I just bought 2 MyBook drives and was trying to set them up with SmartWare. I have 6 internal drives in my PC, and I want to backup C D and E to the first MyBook, and F G and H to the second MyBook.

Is there a way to set this up? Ideally I want to be able to take out the MyBooks and plug them in once a week, start backing up to both of them while I’m sleeping, and then have them both be finished when I wake up. Is this possible? If it’s not possible with SmartWare, can you recommend some other backup software that will be more suited to my needs?

Second, I noticed if I delete a file from the source drive, it keeps it on the MyBook forever anyway. How can I set it up to not do this? (if I delete something from the PC, I also want it to be deleted from my MyBook backup drive)

Last, when I backup multiple drives with SmartWare, it creates the SmartWare.swstor folder on the MyBook, and then it separates the drives inside it, which is nice. However instead of labeling the folders things like “C” and “D” it labels them “Volume.sadf8s9adf7s9” and “Volume.0sdf9fdfd8d” etc so you have to click on each one to see which drive it is. Is there a way to change this?

1 Like

Welcome to the Community.

At this moment WD SmartWare does not feature parallel backups or multiple backup profiles/configurations per disk drive. With regards to the second topic at hand, WD SmartWare is a backup program, and as such it is designed to keep an emergency copy in case of accidental data loss. As such it does not delete files and does not feature file synchronization. The file structure of WD SmartWare can not be changed either as the application needs the specific structure it uses for retrieval purposes.

1 Like

Not sure I understand the comment on multiple backups. I have a laptop with 2 hard drives (Win 8.1) that I use with My Cloud. I set up specific folders to be backed up from my C: and G: drives on the laptop (the two internal hard drives). Every time I restart my PC, the two backup profiles are still there. So, how does this jive with your comment that it does not do backup for more than one drive?

What version of Smartware are you using? I am only able to set up 1 backup on the Smartware that came with my WD MyBook 4TB. When I try to set up a 2nd, it deletes the other backup I had set up before. I would like to be able to set up a daily backup of the PC to the MyBook drive and a weekly backup of just critical files to Dropbox. How do I do this?

I stopped using Smartware and got FreeFileSync instead. Works with multiple drives, multiple backups, etc basically exactly what I was looking for in the original post. Have been using it for months now, would recommend it.