Request Official WD Response

wongnog wrote:

… and one that is finally bug free!

LOL…you’re too funny

Although I too have my fingers crossed for a “final” release I can actually upgrade to.

80sGuy wrote:

Bill_S wrote:

From what I understand, it is just waiting on something being cleared and it’s ready to go.  Whether what we’re waiting on still needs testing, that I don’t know.  I don’t think so.  But from what I understand everything else is ready to go. 

Podcast app?  I don’t know, but I doubt it.

Bill,

Why does it take so long to roll out a firmware for this unit while the ‘1TB HUB’ and ‘Live Streaming’ already had 4 updates in the span of just a few short months after its released???

I think my quote actually answers that question.  Other than that, I have no idea.   Sorry…

Thanks Bill_S for the answer.

I think every customer on this forum is really dissapointed for the long wait of the firmware, specially for having one buggy release after another. But Im sure that that feeling will go away once the firmware is released (assuming its almost bug free and almost all the reports were fixed, specially the ugly ones).

I really really hope WD learn from its customers from now on and instead of placing new apps/features trying to attract new customers (which will soon fing out numerous bugs on the device and spreading everywere the crappy experience they had with it), WD will listen everyone on this forum and try to fix everything as fast as possible ONLY to mantain an existing customer Happy. Word of mouth is really important and a happy customer will convince everyone on buying the same item. It always been like this, will always be like this. Thanks for your attention again, and we are really waiting for this firmware.

Please hurry up and and most important dont dissapoint us.

matcarfer wrote:

Thanks Bill_S for the answer.

But Im sure that that feeling will go away once the firmware is released (assuming its almost bug free and almost all the reports were fixed, specially the ugly ones).

My feelings entirely.  The wait will quickly be forgotten if the FW is good.  But I do think there’s a lesson for WD in here.  I know commercial pressures are to gain new customers and this is, maybe, the reason why this update has taken so long.  But I wonder if this policy does not produce brand loyalty, and that it therefore ends up doing more harm than good to WD.

chris110761 wrote:> * * *

My feelings entirely.  The wait will quickly be forgotten if the FW is good. 

Given their long and storied track record with this particular box - this will need to be the “best” firmware release - EVER - for many of us to “forget” anything. I have had my WDTV LIve for 2+years and it’'s never ever really worked right.

Unfortunately - I fear that this release will be just like all the others - so full of promise - but once installed - breaks this, ruins that, takes away this feature and adds other things that NO one ever asked for.

If WD was smart - this final release should add absoulutely NOTHING new - while at the same time truly fix the lengthly laundry list of  outstanding issues so we could at least use the box reasonably well as it fades from memory.

Still - given the poor attention to detail and horrible code passed out with the last 10 releases of firmware for this unit - I am not expecting miracles of any kind. If it is even mildly solid - I will be stunned.

VP

1 Like

My guess would be: there is no such thing as a new firmware upgrade because this unit is long gone and dead.

80sGuy wrote:

My guess would be: there is no such thing as a new firmware upgrade because this unit is long gone and dead.

Well…just a page or so back from your entry - Bill S is saying they are in “final approach” on the latest update -  just waiting for “something” that he cannot elaborate on…

So - definitely a release coming (and most likely - the “final” one). But a release none the less.

VP

Well, I do hope that Bill is right because he’s been singing this same old song for the past year.

He wouldn’t have to if people wouldn’t pointlessly keep pressing him about a date he repeatedly said, he cannot offer. Dunno why that’s so hard to get for some people. And yes, beta firmwares > 1.06.15 DO exist.

Well…if beta versions exist…hopefully folks like you that are doing the testing that the rest of us are counting on, are holding WD to task to clean up the messes from the previous FW versions before calling this release “ready”

I can and do point out the bugs. If WD fixes them isn’t up to me.

two weeks since the last comment. Any news?

Since noone posted anything, I’m guessing not.

Given this platform appears to be dead, can I suggest we use this (now apparently abandoned) spot for product recommendations? I’m thinking of the Pivos AIOS? Anyone have a better suggestion for something around the $100 - $150 range?

Looks good but the big question is: does it support gapless music and 24/96 flac?  It seems very little out there does.  My vote so far goes back to nettop PC, Windows Media Centre and RC.  More expensive, but at least it does the whole job.

apnea wrote:

Given this platform appears to be dead, can I suggest we use this (now apparently abandoned) spot for product recommendations? I’m thinking of the Pivos AIOS? Anyone have a better suggestion for something around the $100 - $150 range?

You really should start a new thread.

I know, and I completely agree, it was intended as much as anything as a (playful) dig at a WD who have abandoned (in my opinion), a half-finished product. I’m sure each of the players have their own problems though - I actually quite like some aspects of my WDTV Live, but I’d never buy anything from them again.

I’ll stop thread-dumping now. Sorry if I offended / bugged anyone.

1 Like

To tell you the truth, I used owned the WD TV Live Plus but became very dissatisfied with it and replaced it with the 1TB LIVE HUB where firmware updates are constantly being released to this day. The menu layout is totally different and looks/functions much better than this defunct model. What I suggest you guys to do is to call WD and DEMAND an exchange, that’s what I did and that’s what I got. You will get a refurbed model that looks like new which in all account is better than this obsolete model.

hope there is still more update to come for my wdlive… would really like to be prompted to delete a video after watching it…

I agree with 80s guy, the 2 new players and their new UI are streets ahead of the Live and Plus models.