Removing public folder

Hey Guys, does anyone have any ideas on how to remove the Public folder or at least to add a password to it., I really don’t like that folder there at all. Any suggestions… PLEASE

This one is easy.

Enable SSH.

Download a Secure Telnet  client like PUTTY if you’re using Windows.

Use the nano text editor to alter a file named /etc/trustees.conf

Find:

[/dev/md3]/shares/Public:*:RWBEX:*:CU

Change it to:

[/dev/md3]/shares/Public:admin:RWBEX:*:CU

Also make the same change to /tmp/trustees.mod

Finally use this command:

settrustees -f /tmp/trustees.mod

If you change the Public share using the Dashboard UI you will need to re-apply the changes above but why you would wish to change the Public Share in the Dashboard is a bit beyond me as all you can do is change its comment.

With this change ONLY the owner user (or admin ) has access to the Public share.  Even works for FTP.  The FTP client will be able to see the Public share but won’t be able to access it.

I’m not sure how this will affect the iTunes server and the DLNA server.

1 Like

I would also like to see some options for the Public folder so that it does not show up on network media servers.  I don’t want to put all my video files in subfolders under “Public”.  I want my video files to be in separate folders if only to organize their listing.   However Public shows up when media servers scan the WD Live NAS devices.

I know Public folders are after all PUBLIC.  However there has to be some way to consider the context in which we are using these NAS devices and allow for media servers to only “see” what folders we want media servers to see.

Just don’t put anything in the Public folder or subfolders under the Public folder.  Seems like a simple solution.  (Did I understand the query and give an acceptible answer?)

In the first place - Why would WD do such thing creating Public folder for people and not letting disable it simple way. I do not understand why they make a hassle out of their products.

BTW: WD UI control (OS) and DUO drive itself are very very slow 

Neither do I, but I’ve figured out how to implement the security I desire so only the admin account has access to the Public Folder.

You can choose which folders can be seen by media servers by going to the UI and clicking on the share.

There will be a “Media Serving” drop down in the Right pane. Set it to None.

When I trty to access /etc/trustees.conf, I get “permission denied”. This is when I log in with username:root password:welc0me. Why is this!?!?

I agree. Having a pre-defined folder by WDC is dumb. At least give us the ability to delete the unwanted folder.

Good point. WD has made this seemingly simple issue way more complicated than it needs to be and irritated many of its users. I decided a while back to create seperare shares for everything (music, video, documents, etc) and dont use the public folder or its goofy subfolders at all. Why wD would think that they have to create a predefined share with fixed access is a mystery to me. The solution posted to modify access through ssh doesn’t sound very simple to me so I would suggest most users just ignore the public folder.

But how do I access /etc/trustees.conf ? - Permission DENIED

To set the permission is seem work on me (MyBookLive) 3TB.

However I want set a user with password e.g. user123.

How do I set user123 only read can’t write?