Reformat Options Mavericks Wireless

Hi,

I’m just starting to load media files to the 8T mybook duo and I want to go back and reformat the drive to get rid of the WD software. I’m running Mavericks but purchased the drive after all the troubles at the end of 2013 but I’d like to play it safe. I’m not worried about the media I’ve already loaded because I’m planning on reloading the files with updated metadata. I’m not an expert at this stuff and I’ve been googling away trying to make sure I’m not overlooking something I should consider before starting this process. I’m concerned that there will be an issue trying to reformat the drive wirelessly and I’m not sure If I should use the WD quick formatter to reformat the drives or if there is anything special I need to do because I’ve got two 4T drives linked together to give me my 8T capacity. I do have an ethernet switch plugged into that drive but the one time I tried to use it to connect it to my laptop to try to speed up the file transfer process nothing happened except getting Tunespan confused about where my files were so I’m not sure if that’s an option to avoid doing the reformatting wirelessly (part of my concern is running into mounting/dismounting drive problems). If I can use the ethernet cable to connect to the drive should I do that and use Disk Utility to reformat rather than the quick formatter? Sorry for the barrage and thanks in advance for whatever guidance you can offer. 

You don’t format NAS drives.  Doing so will basically destroy the NAS as all the firmware and everything necessary to run the NAS are on the drives.

If you’re just wanting to erase it, then just do a factory restore.

Thank you very much – I had this suspicion I was about to do something very very bad but nothing I found confirmed it.