Problem with a WD 1200BEVE 120 GB Hard Drive

I had what finally turned out to be a terminal problem with my old Laptop. During a short series of visits to a repairer when he temporarily sorted my problem, because the original hard drive was getting near to capacity he installed a new 120 GB hard drive (WD1200BEVE) for me, onto which various bit of software were installed. The old, nearly full hard drive he fitted into a metal case. The repair seemed okay and the machine worked fine with the new Hard drive. If I needed anything filed on the old drive I could, and still can access it via the USB port on my Laptop. Then, after a few weeks, the old problem re-occurred. I decided not to throw any more money at it and sent the old laptop to the tip.

Before doing so, I recovered the new “Hard drive” from the unit. I purchased a second smart “metal case kit” for it, intending to use it as external storage. I was able to access it using the cable connectors provided with the metal case kit. After a while I realised that I did not need  the software on this “new” hard drive and one day when it was connected to my new laptop, in my innocence, I gave the dreaded instruction “format”. This cleared the hard drive completely. Great, I thought, I can now continue to use it as a portable drive, I can work on it, and carry it in my pocket, how useful, there is no need to carry my laptop about, I can simply plug it into any handy computer and work just as though I was in my own office. That was what I thought!

Alas it was not to be, my computer does not recognise it now. It does no even acknowledge that there is a disc plugged into the USB port using the same cable as before, I can access the original hard drive, no problem. When this “new” hard drive is plugged in, the LED on the end is illuminated and I can hear the disc whirring away but without any result.

Question: Have I destroyed it? -  or do I need to somehow install a form of “driver” to the disc to use in the manner I have tried to describe? -  or is it a forlorn and useless hope?

Hello, 

Did you check if it’s still recognized on the disk management window?

Hi Alucardx23, Thanks for the reply. When I click on “computer”, any hardware in drive “F”, which is the USB port on my laptop. would normal show in the dispplay. There is nothing showing when this HDrive is connected. Am I looking in the right place?

J