Play vs Live

TonyPh12345 wrote:

That Vodafone box is a poor comparison.   It’s subsidized by Vodafone.  If I’m reading the page correctly (and that assumes the Italian to English translation is accurate), non-Vodafone customers cannot buy it.

The additional major features supported by the WDTV Live:

- Support for MPEG2

- Support for full DVD

- Support for DTS (The Live can decode it, the Play can only pass through.)

- Support for NFS and Samba network shares (Samba is available in BOTH directions, client and server mode)

- Media Library for content aggragation across multiple sources (USB, Network Shares from multiple servers, etc.)

** Adds SEARCH / Sort / Filtering / etc.

- Custom Themes, which opens the door to custom movie sheets

- Content Information Display in Gallery View.

There’s a lot more than that, that’s just highlighting what I can quickly recall that is SIGNIFICANTLY different.

The Live and Play, btw, both support b/g/n wireless.  No difference there.

Pont 1…2 and 3 it’s all about mpeg2 support limited by firmware on Play.

Point 4… DLNA it’s the best solution, it’s compatible with all OS 4 example, simple install on windows add folder in server and doesn’t need to touch permession or all other setting in my windows to make all folder sharing to my WD Play

All Otherpoint it’s all feature like firmware and it’s not hardware feature… 

The different it’s the WD want to sell this Play like a low-cost product and limits it by firmware limitation… for example live have DDR2… Play mount DDR3.

We can’t continue to speak about Live it’s better then play… it’s completely wrong… Live it’s better only because WD want it to be better.

Really… i’m completely satisfied about my WD Play and the release of the X265 is at near future… you thinks the old hardware of Live product can’t decode it ?? Only the future can response :slight_smile:

Live is better than Play, Hub is better than both of them.

Friend in need is friend in deed. My Japanese is better.

foetus wrote:

oh… it’s not the real truth:

Live it’s not better with DDR2 and old hardware and it’s not better than play whit DDR3 and a better and most recet chip… are you kidding me ?

you need to read all other post and all other review before to write this sentence :slight_smile:

The live it’s better only on the paper and only because WD continue sell old product as better than newest product…

Pratically the WD Play has the potential to become a good multimedia player only for 70€ but WD want to continue to sell old WD Live at a higher price only for commercial purpose.

This is the real truth and we can’t, unfortunately, do anything about it :slight_smile:

In peace… :laughing:

I have two models: Play and Streaming. Streaming is much more powerful.
But the hardware is the same??
Why?
Thank you.

Apipote wrote:

I have two models: Play and Streaming. Streaming is much more powerful.
But the hardware is the same??
Why?
Thank you.

i don’t know the hardware of Streaming…i already say other time in another thread:

Before buy the Play i have read many review… many of this i have not been able to find them now but i have read some review speaking about hardware comparision about live and play and i have read the play it’s better on hardware respect a live.

But i have already sayed it:

… a good media player is a compromise about hardware and firmware and i thinks the WD Play it’s very limited by current firmware support.

In this case… i thinks…The WD has choose to sell the play like a low-cost product…

I thinks the Streaming firmware simply contain a better codec support… more support for network shared etc etc.

On the last recent Firmware by WD for WD TV Live 3-Generation some features have been added and improved right ?? I know that some of these have been added a long time before in some Custom Firmware for WD TV Live and recently in official WD Firmware and other of this it’s been improved in recent Custom Firmware.

I think it isn’t  allowed speaking about custom firmware here… but i repeat, i try following all story line about WD TV Live series and I have documented a lot before to buy a WD product and before to buy the WD Play and it is this idea (and my personal opinion) that I have done in the head.

What?

@ DjDiabolik

Look Diabolic, I think your screen name says a lot about you.  Get off this train you are on to dis the WD players, and just deal with it.  Have you ever bought a car?  All cars are the same, but some have more features that make them “better” and more expensive.than others.  Same with media players.   Enjoy your TV Play, and if you find it does not do the job for you, then sell it and buy a Live!  Jeeze, haven’t you anything better to do than keep this thread going??

I think this is all I have left to say to you.

DjDiabolik wrote:
This is the real truth and we can’t, unfortunately, do anything about it 

And yet you keep going on about it.

DjDiabolik wrote:

foetus wrote:

oh… it’s not the real truth:

Live it’s not better with DDR2 and old hardware and it’s not better than play whit DDR3 and a better and most recet chip… are you kidding me ?

you need to read all other post and all other review before to write this sentence :slight_smile:

The live it’s better only on the paper and only because WD continue sell old product as better than newest product…

Pratically the WD Play has the potential to become a good multimedia player only for 70€ but WD want to continue to sell old WD Live at a higher price only for commercial purpose.

This is the real truth and we can’t, unfortunately, do anything about it :slight_smile:

In peace… :laughing:

I just wrote that to see what’s goanna happen next.

I come from old family of truthspeakers.

And my Japanese is really better.

Funny that my question was answered in the first few replies. Play is meant more for online services, doesn’t do mpg2 and has a simpler remote.
Since “old technology” got brought up, does DDR3 really matter. Yes it’s faster, cheaper and uses slightly less power but is DDR2 really a bottleneck?

Peet424 wrote:
Funny that my question was answered in the first few replies. Play is meant more for online services, doesn’t do mpg2 and has a simpler remote.
Since “old technology” got brought up, does DDR3 really matter. Yes it’s faster, cheaper and uses slightly less power but is DDR2 really a bottleneck?

mpeg2 and DTS. My kids are hooked on Dora, Diego, Pocoyo… and I love watching concerts on DVD’s.

And yes, you concluded right, and rest of posts are just nonsense :slight_smile:

Dora and Elmo mostly. My stuff is fine on disc, they don’t touch it. Netflix for Kids is great but I want stuff on local storage for them. Yes, DTS also, which I don’t use.

Jeeze, guys, talk about “nonsense”; discussing children’s shows now has taken this thread over the top!  But, since you brought it up, the show “Shaun the Sheep” has 'em all beat!   :laughing:

How about Timmy Time? My point is getting kids shows off DVDs, which they ruin. Wasted too much money on discs that now won’t play.

mike27oct wrote:

@ DjDiabolik

Look Diabolic, I think your screen name says a lot about you.  Get off this train you are on to dis the WD players, and just deal with it.  Have you ever bought a car?  All cars are the same, but some have more features that make them “better” and more expensive.than others.  Same with media players.   Enjoy your TV Play, and if you find it does not do the job for you, then sell it and buy a Live!  Jeeze, haven’t you anything better to do than keep this thread going??

I think this is all I have left to say to you.

oh… very wrong example:

Mention me a car model where the old model costs more than the newest…

Obviously at this point is all a “Pour Parler” :smileyvery-happy:

Peet424 wrote:
Yes it’s faster, cheaper and uses slightly less power but is DDR2 really a bottleneck?

Of course not.

I am watching Teletubies right now :wink:

But you should check out Pocoyo

DjD, question has been answered,

You are Italian, I guess you are watching anime,

if you have kids, check out

Japanese Folktales

Many cars have older models that cost more than new. Corvettes, Mustangs, probably BMW or Mercades. Yes I didn’t spell it right, don’t care. Last year’s fully loaded model still costs more than this year’s base model. You wrong.

oh boys… boys… boys… tipycal… it’s very tipycal:

When you do not know what to support your theories you begin to write and insult about personal things all other insult… ahahahah… like you are italian… pizza e mandolino…spaghetti e pomodoro ahahahahaha.

Your poor brain does not allowed to compare whit me…ahhahaahah… please return to write hundred of hundred of useless things…

@Peet424:

You can tell  “…WD Play and WD Live it’s not same model…” In fact the Play have better hardware but WD choose to sell it at lower-price.

The point is:

WD Play sell about 70€… right price… it’s no bad recent hardware but poor firmware

WD Live sell about 100€… for a oldest hardware it’s very high price… at the same price we can, 4 example, a complete Raspberry…

*EDIT*

Otherwise i don’t want to continue to speak about my personal attack…all my idea it’s sostain by facts… we need more to speak about live it’s not better than play ?