NOTICE: WD2Go.com and WDMyCloud.com users in relay mode are reporting that connections

Im from the uk also using a sky router ive been without access since friday and I only bought the mycloud last tuesday!!! I spoke to the help line and was told it would be fixed yesterday yet I still cant navigate to www.wd2go.com :frowning:

I am glad i am not alone,  cloudsurfer89!

Bought mine yesterday and have been in a terrible mood since!

So we dont need to do any of this port forwarding stuff?!

I haven’t done any port forwarding, shouldn’t need to it was working fine tue-weds-thurs- and friday morning, people have stated being able to connect for a short period of time but I haven’t been able to connect from outside my network at all.

Yup - May be worth while hanging-fire to see when WD come out with the official ‘its fixed’ statement!

Find it strange how i can via the site over 3G on my mobile, yet as soon as i put wifi on my phone, it doesnt work!

Jarret_T wrote:

Hmm, I am working through the Debian load WD has installed on the device.  I have to admit, the device having a full Linux load and 4TB of space is pretty slick.  Clean UI and such, I like the device overall.

What concerns me is that the activation code does not seem to be generated from the device, but from the central service, at least from what I can see.  As such, it is the central service which controls access to a degree.  While they would not necessarily have access to much data on the WD servers, it’s the potential that our devices could be compromised consequently that concerns me.

For example, they are not running the patest PHP version, but the 5.4 version from Jan 2013.  Security patches are not fully up to date either on the device as you can see if you execute an apt-get to check…(I would NOT recommend “apt-get upgrade” as this may cause issues!)  I could go on…

Regardless, the lack of transparency into this whole thing makes me suspicious.

I just confirmed that all data is proxied through WD’s network when you access your device from the internet.  They use a private network on the 10.8.x.x range and when you access your device via WDCloud.devicexxxxxxx.wd2go.com, it gets proxied through their servers.  This may explain why it is slower than one would expect.  They can only blame part of the speed on your own home network.

Just FYI all…

And it is still up and functioning as expected from remote connections at this point.

Yeah that’s weird I cant access it via 3g but I can via wifi except on my tablet I get can’t access device (0) so not sure whats happening there, I hope they fix it real soon I have users waiting to download files…

Nooooo. And the connection is down again!!! WD do something!
Wd2go.com is working fine for me, but the NAS can’t connect to the cloud!!

Pleaseeee! WD fix it!

Yeah, i set my phone as a hotspot and connected the mac to it - i could browse to the site, but couldnt register my device! Well and truly fed up here.

I’m also experiencing problems, from Spain.
I can not remotely access my cloud, I thought I had a problem with my network, but I have not checked.
This is very embarrassing to happen

I hope WD is enjoying their weekend.  Maybe when they get back to work on Monday morning they can attempt to fix this problem for once:confounded:

OpenVPN to MBL http://community.wd.com/t5/My-Book-Live/HOWTO-MBL-as-OpenVPN-server/td-p/397179

This will bypass wd2go. I’m working on it now.

Jarret_T wrote:

Jarret_T wrote:

Hmm, I am working through the Debian load WD has installed on the device.  I have to admit, the device having a full Linux load and 4TB of space is pretty slick.  Clean UI and such, I like the device overall.

What concerns me is that the activation code does not seem to be generated from the device, but from the central service, at least from what I can see.  As such, it is the central service which controls access to a degree.  While they would not necessarily have access to much data on the WD servers, it’s the potential that our devices could be compromised consequently that concerns me.

For example, they are not running the patest PHP version, but the 5.4 version from Jan 2013.  Security patches are not fully up to date either on the device as you can see if you execute an apt-get to check…(I would NOT recommend “apt-get upgrade” as this may cause issues!)  I could go on…

Regardless, the lack of transparency into this whole thing makes me suspicious.

I just confirmed that all data is proxied through WD’s network when you access your device from the internet.  They use a private network on the 10.8.x.x range and when you access your device via WDCloud.devicexxxxxxx.wd2go.com, it gets proxied through their servers.  This may explain why it is slower than one would expect.  They can only blame part of the speed on your own home network.

Just FYI all…

And it is still up and functioning as expected from remote connections at this point.

So to add further to this, I also confirmed that WD is acting as a “Man in the middle”, which means they are able to look at ANY of your files you transfer on or off the device.  The SSL cert you get when going to the wd2go.com address and hitting their proxies is not the same cert as on the device itself.  Please beware of putting anything confidential or sensitive on your devices and accessing it from the cloud!

I am still up and functioning at this point…

Jarret_T wrote:, I also confirmed that WD is acting as a “Man in the middle”, which means they are able to look at ANY of your files you transfer on or off the device.  

They are only proxying if you’ve chosen to use RELAY mode in setting up your Cloud.   If you’re using Port-forwarding, the connection is direct from your device to your NAS – WD’s servers are only used to proxy a hostname.

Looks like we are back up and running in the UK :slight_smile:

Would be nice to of known what went wrong ?

Some progress in UK (NI to be specific) :

I can now use the MyCloud app on android phone over wifi and mobile network and can access my shares.

BUT

I cannot manage my cloud access very well as I had tried to create a new web access code while it was all pear-shaped on Saturday and got this weird New Unregistered Device Code Expired: Thursday, January 01, 1970 which I cannot delete because it says Device user ID missing. (400014)

I tried deleting my admin user profile so I could start again but it said I did not have the privileges to access a resource.

Hoping Monday brings relief and satisfaction to us the paying customers and a shed-load of grief to the people who are paid to manage customer service.

Still seam to be having problems !! Slow streaming and a long time to log on my drives !!

Lets hope things will improve ?

Still no connection, even a French one :wink:

I bypassed this with an old XP machine in my garage which is now a VPN access server to my LAN. 

At least I can wait now.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Jarret_T wrote:, I also confirmed that WD is acting as a “Man in the middle”, which means they are able to look at ANY of your files you transfer on or off the device.  

They are only proxying if you’ve chosen to use RELAY mode in setting up your Cloud.   If you’re using Port-forwarding, the connection is direct from your device to your NAS – WD’s servers are only used to proxy a hostname.

Not sure how you get that.  All port forwarding does is change the local ports the WD servers connect to at your house (or where ever you have the WD device).  This is relevant if you cannot accept traffic on the standard ports of 80 and 443, which some ISP’s block so you don’t serve up websites from your home network.  All traffic from what I see is being routed through the WD servers and hence they are acting as a full proxy.  All you need to do is troll through the log files on the WD Cloud device to confirm what I am telling you.

Another way to check if they were providing hostname resolution only, is to take your device name and ping it from an internet connection.  If what you say is true it would resolve to your home IP address, which it does not.  Happy to discuss in PM further if you want.

UPDATE: I stand corrected.  By using the port forward, I have confirmed that it bypasses the WD service and connects directly to the device itself.  Thanks Tony for following up.  :)

Jarret_T wrote:Happy to discuss in PM further if you want.

Good idea.  PM sent.

1 Like

Was working for me and now nothing…

how sad is it that WD still is airing commercials for the MY CLOUD and at the same time they cannot even fix what they continue to try and sell…WHAT NERVE…