NOTICE: WD2Go.com and WDMyCloud.com users in relay mode are reporting that connections

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Jarret_T wrote:

Am I the only one thinking their service has been hacked?

Perhaps, but I doubt it.   What’s to hack?   AFAIK, they don’t have any sensitive info…  The only thing stored in the Cloud service is the list of your NASes linked to your user account.   The authentication to your NAS is handled by your NAS itself, not their service.

So even if it were hacked, the only thing the hackers would have is your user name and the list of your devices, and the IP address/port they were on the last time the database was updated…

I guess that you do have insider information.

But myself I would not be so sure about that!

Hmm, I am working through the Debian load WD has installed on the device.  I have to admit, the device having a full Linux load and 4TB of space is pretty slick.  Clean UI and such, I like the device overall.

What concerns me is that the activation code does not seem to be generated from the device, but from the central service, at least from what I can see.  As such, it is the central service which controls access to a degree.  While they would not necessarily have access to much data on the WD servers, it’s the potential that our devices could be compromised consequently that concerns me.

For example, they are not running the patest PHP version, but the 5.4 version from Jan 2013.  Security patches are not fully up to date either on the device as you can see if you execute an apt-get to check…(I would NOT recommend “apt-get upgrade” as this may cause issues!)  I could go on…

Regardless, the lack of transparency into this whole thing makes me suspicious.

Jarret_T wrote:

Hmm, I am working through the Debian load WD has installed on the device.  I have to admit, the device having a full Linux load and 4TB of space is pretty slick.  Clean UI and such, I like the device overall.

What concerns me is that the activation code does not seem to be generated from the device, but from the central service, at least from what I can see.  As such, it is the central service which controls access to a degree.  While they would not necessarily have access to much data on the WD servers, it’s the potential that our devices could be compromised consequently that concerns me.

For example, they are not running the patest PHP version, but the 5.4 version from Jan 2013.  Security patches are not fully up to date either on the device as you can see if you execute an apt-get to check…(I would NOT recommend “apt-get upgrade” as this may cause issues!)  I could go on…

Regardless, the lack of transparency into this whole thing makes me suspicious.

apt-get upgrade does reliably brick the box.

But you might try

dpkg --audit

This will show you how messy that installations is!

Short WD’s stock! Such a lemonade stand!

Since Western Digital has failed to keep us informed, I’m happy to share another unhappy experience with them.  Last Friday, when I was having problems connecting and called for tech help, I spent over an hour and 1/2 on the phone having the tech walk me through resetting the device - by pulling the plug - which corrupted my drive’s connection.  I spent another hour getting it back up so I could access it on my network.

At the end of the conversation, the tech finally informed me that WD2GO was down - that was the first question I asked, since the drive worked from inside the network.

I am particularly offended that the tech service was not notified - and if they were - why did they waste my time, instead of telling me it was down.  Then he said, it should be back on Monday - tomorrow from Central US.  How am I supposed to trust future assistance. . . .  I have been a loyal fan of WD devices thus far - but this type of service is unacceptible…

Did anyone else have this experience, as well?

DanRM wrote:

Did anyone else have this experience, as well?

Although the most critical postings have been deleted:

Browse this forum!

Not as bad an experience as you Dan.  Seems like the Level 1 Support management need replacing.  Why their Level 1 techs don’t have a major incident status board to be informed internally is beyond me.

I am surprised they also don’t have a status page on their site to indicate server availability.

I just spoke to a supervisor and he told me that this was supposed to be fixed by Saturday. He told me that at this point he isn’t sure that it will be up and running by tomorrow morning. They don’t have a timeframe.

1 Like

So from Wednesday to Sunday.  No wonder I cannot get my new WD MyCloud set up.  If it is that rubbish, it is going back to the shop as not fit for purpose.

Why are the posts not dated, only numbered?

Why isn’t there a prominent status page on the WD site? (I echo others’ calls for this)

1 Like

Mackey00 wrote:

I just spoke to a supervisor and he told me that this was supposed to be fixed by Saturday. He told me that at this point he isn’t sure that it will be up and running by tomorrow morning. They don’t have a timeframe.

Not very good of them to throw their own Engineering Team under the bus.  That said, their Engineering team is not actively keeping their Level 1 up to date, so I guess this is an expected **bleep** for tat.  Obvious there is a MAJOR issue which they don’t want to provide more detials on (hence continued lack of transparency or ANY formal updates on their own Community Forum), which continues to point to potential breach in their security in my opinion.

Ugh, and I was just starting to really like this product…

I’ve just refreshed https://www.wd2go.com 6 times on my mobile and it worked - dare I dream?! It will no doubt be down by the time I get home!

Now I have a new issue … My Cloud doesn’t even show up as a Device on WD2GO

I get this message:

My WD Devices

no device available

Now what?

I went ahead and disabled Cloud Access … Deleted my Cloud devices … and re-established them. I tried getting a “Code” for accessing but no email was delivered. (I sent a test email from the “Notifications” tab in the Settings and that was sent and received … so I know email is working). I used the generated Code that was displayed in the dashboard and entered that in my Desktop App to enable “Manual Connected WD Device” and that was accepted, as my email addy was not accepted. Now I am able to use the desktop app as before.

I used the desktop app to copy a link to a file (instead of emailing it to myself) and placed the URL in the browser and downloaded the file. No issues there.

So why no “Devices” showing up on WD2GO’s site?

UPDATE:

I redone everything from scratch and now it is working perfectly … I have no knowledge as to why or how. I did received the login email this time; clicked the link and presto it worked. 

SectorGZ wrote:

Now I have a new issue … My Cloud doesn’t even show up as a Device on WD2GO

So why no “Devices” showing up on WD2GO’s site?

This is unreal!!!

No offense intended, but this is reality :wink:

I just wonder why so many are upset by that problem while only a little minority cares for all these nasty bugs in the firmware?

Count__Dooku

Read my post again … I have updated it and got it working … How or Why it didn’t work before, I’m not really sure.

Mine is back working? Would have been nice for some warning cost me hours of work trying to fix this untill I found out it was a WD mess up???:confounded:

@Count__Dooku

This widespread service outtage is affecting many people on many different devices, each having their own firmware. I’m sure if you search each models section on the forum you’ll find device specific bug threads.

Sent from my iPhone

Mine have both started to work…

I’m getting majorly frustrated now!

I am wondering if i have a local issue - I was fine connecting to  https://www.wd2go.com/ when i was on my parents wifi - Now i’ve just got back home and no joy! reverting my phone to 3G only, i can browse to the site!

Now, is there anyone from the UK here who have a SKY router? Any specfic requirements i need to be aware of?

I can confirm the remote Cloud access appears to now be working, though I am expecting it may drop again…  I am US based.

Hey MalNichol - Are you in the UK?

If so, what ISP are you with? I am with SKY and dont appear to be able to browse to  https://www.wd2go.com/ when i am on my home wifi?! 

When i am on 3G via my mobile, i can open the page fine, as soon as i put it on to wifi i get nada! Any specific router changes i need to make?