Notice: The My Book World and Mac OS 10.7 (Lion)

But if I downgrade I’ll lose the nine new presets in Photobooth!!!

My question is:

Is there a DATE for the release of the new software that will let our MAC use Time machine on our WD My book World Edition with OS X Lion?

Markan61 wrote:

My question is:

Is there a DATE for the release of the new software that will let our MAC use Time machine on our WD My book World Edition with OS X Lion?

Yes- their ETA was for last week… They missed their target, but we are expecting it any day now. It could be today, it could be tommorow… but very soon.

next week, maybe. They have said they never release updates on Fridays

Ardvark

just stop already defending WD the time for saying its your fault is pass 2 months have already passed now is time to say that the company just don’t care

for not saying that small company like Synology have had a beta firmware fix already 2 week after the release of lion

so just stop saying that

illidan155

2 Likes

Hi guys, I have to say this is the most hillarious thread in a long time! I love ya all:-)

Why don’t we just ask bill to walk down into the basement and ask the developpers (or the one developper) if he can give him one last estimation of a reasonable ETA and then add 2 days for safety margin (or maybe just to surprise us with a one Day earlier release). I really think this is owed to us…

Obviously not today. I’ll check tomorrow. Hopefully, they won’t make me go down to the basement just to find out.

2 Likes

Bill_S - I have a vision of you going to down to IT (much like the IT Crowd) and someone saying: “Have you tried turning off and on again?”

I’m going to go against the grain here (I’ve been keeping up with the posts for a while now) and say that I’ve always been happy with WD products and will continue to buy them.  Sure it’s a bit inconvenient that the update is not out yet.  Got lots of stuff on my 8 TB ShareSpace NAS, but I guess I enjoy living dangerously.

BTW, your spell check should not see “ShareSpace” as spelled incorrectly!

- Lance

Bill_S wrote:
Obviously not today. I’ll check tomorrow. Hopefully, they won’t make me go down to the basement just to find out.

Aren’t you guys in California? I thought you weren’t allowed to have basements…

look this code update shouldn’t take more than a week and then a week of testing and repeat the cycle a few times. I’m an electrical engineer this is what I do all the time. Am I upset about this yes. Do I think that WD has failed at this point yes. Am I going to buy from WD in the future… YES WD screwded up, but they have a long history of putting out great products. Its not like these drives are bricks we can still backup manually. Lets try to be civil. Ranting on a forum and asking WD to update us on their progress isn’t going to get us a firmware update any sooner. So relax and instead of wasting your time on this thread manually backup your data.

Just my $0.02

3 Likes

Ardvark wrote:

artinf wrote:

I have been a techie for a long time, and i gotto say, this has been the worst support i have ever seen of any product, since my very first computer which was a 286.

I mean WD has money, has the assets, has the personnel, this is just outrageous.

Many other manufacturer’s already released an update, it’s been 2 months people.

I wish i could get my money back, i really regret paying almost $500 for my 4 TB backup that’s USELESS.

It’s your fault for updating so quickly after an OS is released. I understood when Windows 98 came out and people were concerned that stuff like this happened, but we’ve all been down this road like 10 times now (same thing happened with every version of Windows and Mac OSX)… WAIT 6 MONTHS TO A YEAR after an OS is released before updating if your not willing to risk temporarily losing functionality.

There is a very simple workaround: Revert to Snow Leopard until the patch is released. Actually, even after its released because I’m sure other hardware you have is likely having issues since Lion broke so much stuff…

Oh yes please do downgrade to Snow Leopard or enen better to Leopard or even-even better to Tiger, so you are not going to have the Time Machine installed and all our problems will be solved instantly…It just works!

Ok, let’s all keep our heads cool here. There’s bugger-all any of us outside of WD can do, and I expect they’re really aware of the pain people are expressing. But the pain will not get us the firmware any quicker. It’ll just ■■■■ us off even more.

For the record, I’m not suggesting that anyone in partiular is not being calm, or does not have a right to express their opinions, I’m just saying that it probably achieves little at this point to get angry with each other. We’re just days away now, I hope.

That doesn’t work on “newer” hardware (e.g. Apple laptops bought since Lion’s release in July), so much for your facetious reply. Add me to the list of surprised user’s that TM doesnt work - but half of it is Apple’s fault. P.S. OS X Lion is a step backwards on many levels (Address Book, Mail, Time Machine, Finder, power usage, Migration Assistant, Spaces and “Versions”, which seems like a good idea until you start to get annoying Windows style dialog boxes when you change files) - for those that have the option, I would recommend staying with SL.

TheAnalogue

acutally there is a fix without roll back the os version anyway like i say there are much more smaller company that have already a fix for this issue

you can find a way to get you drive to work here

¨

illidan155

illidan155 wrote:

TheAnalogue

acutally there is a fix without roll back the os version anyway like i say there are much more smaller company that have already a fix for this issue

you can find a way to get you drive to work here

¨

illidan155

Good, let’s send this to the WD engineers!

timeimp wrote:

Bill_S - I have a vision of you going to down to IT (much like the IT Crowd) and someone saying: “Have you tried turning off and on again?”

That’s awesome.

I contacted WD support and mentioned the knowledge base article showed an out of date ETA for the My Book World firmware - it has now been updated to an ETA of 19th September!

I will look into this on Monday and see where we are at.  Hopefully, it won’t be until the 19th.

Don’t worry about it, Bill.  The time for caring and monitoring was after the first ETA was given.  Waiting on you guys to pull your heads out was getting old.  Just bought a Time Capsule today.

Goodbye kindergarten development team.  Goodbye Development, Release, and Support Managers not caring enough about the customer to communicate patch release schedules effectively and in a timely manner.

Goodbye Western Digital.  Good luck selling your [deleted] products and support to some other ■■■■■■.

I’ve never seen a company with so little pride in their work, and so little respect for the customer.  

1 Like