Notice: The My Book World and Mac OS 10.7 (Lion)

Western Digital is in the process of testing the compatibility of the My Book World with Mac OS 10.7 (Lion).  As of now, we do not have an ETA for full support.  As we complete our testing we will post updates to our support website: http://support.wdc.com.

7 Likes

Why  my book world edition will be the last firmware update ? Can’t you use or adapt the my book live one ???

I am SHOCKED that an update has not been released yet… 

Barring any unforeseen issues, we should have it ready by next week.

7 Likes

Bill_S wrote:

That’s awesome Bill_S :slight_smile: - Thanks for the update!

That, Bill, sounds like an ETA!!!  Your quote from last Thursday: “As for an ETA, not happening.”  :wink:

Glad to see you’re not too proud/stubborn to keep us posted, particularly after some of the whinging and abuse you and other contributors were subjected to in the other thread.

Good to hear it’s coming soon and everyone will be able to calm down again.  I’m looking forward to it!

Brownster wrote:

That, Bill, sounds like an ETA!!!

I just got an email that the KB article was updated to reflect this as well! - Looks like the “official” ETA is for next week.

A firmware update is in development for the the My Book World (White Light), the My Book World II (White Light), and the WD ShareSpace to update the version of Netatalk (to 2.2). At the current time, there is no WD approved workaround available for these drives. Our current estimated time of arrival (ETA) for this update is for the week of August 29th, 2011.

2 Likes

Brownster wrote:

That, Bill, sounds like an ETA!!!  Your quote from last Thursday: “As for an ETA, not happening.”  :wink:

Glad to see you’re not too proud/stubborn to keep us posted, particularly after some of the whinging and abuse you and other contributors were subjected to in the other thread.

Good to hear it’s coming soon and everyone will be able to calm down again.  I’m looking forward to it!

Hey, when it comes to giving you any update to let you know that we really are working on it, then pride can take a hike. 

4 Likes

Not sure if you want/need kudos, but there you go. :smileyvery-happy: Thanks! Now I can stop checking, heh.

haha… awesome.

Ardvark wrote:

Brownster wrote:

That, Bill, sounds like an ETA!!!

I just got an email that the KB article was updated to reflect this as well! - Looks like the "official" ETA is for next week.

A firmware update is in development for the the My Book World (White Light), the My Book World II (White Light), and the WD ShareSpace to update the version of Netatalk (to 2.2). At the current time, there is no WD approved workaround available for these drives. Our current estimated time of arrival (ETA) for this update is for the week of August 29th, 2011. 

Great news. Wonderful to hear. Looking forward

thanks

Finally…thanks WD. Not sure how this was missed in the first place. Did none of the Lion betas or RC’s give warning of this to WD SW engineers or SWQA? At least for a solution in the first week after Lion’s release…

Anyway, glad we’ll be up and running soon.

thanks!:smiley:

Is an update coming for My Book World Edition with blue rings?  

Eager to see this fixed! Haven’t been able to take a backup for some time now!!!

GSN99 wrote:

Is an update coming for My Book World Edition with blue rings?  

I seriously doubt it - The blue rings models are all well past their expected lifespans (3-5 years as with any hard drive) and is 3 generations old (My Book Live (newest), ShareSpace (Last Gen), White Lights (2 gens), than Blue Rings (3 gens)) - considering how few of them there are that are likely still to be working it just wouldn’t make sense. If your on a Blue Rings model, I’d suggest upgrading to a My Book Live.

Thanks for your insight Aardvark.  I would like to hear directly from WD.  Emails from customer support have indicated that there would be an update for the blue ring units, but also directed me here.  The posts here from WD have been silent  on the subject while indicating that other units would be updated.

If they aren’t updating after they told me they would and I have been hanging for over a month, I doubt that I would spend money on another WD product.

GSN99, the Western Digital My Book World Edition (Blue Rings) is considered to be a Legacy product since the 2009 and was never advertised to be Mac OS compatible. Even the older Tiger (OSX 10.4) and Leopard (OSX 10.5) Operating Systems are not supported with this Unit, hence, an update to Lion (OSX 10.7) is unlikely, since no other Mac OS versions are supported. It seems quite possible that the assisting Agent was considering your Unit to be a White Lights rather than a Blue Rings, adding to the confusion.

For more information, please refer to the WD My Book World Edition (Blue Rings) User Manual, it indicates only older versions of Microsoft Windows are supported with this Unit:

http://www.wdc.com/en/library/usb/2779-701026.pdf?wdc_lang=en

Regards, 

How is this coming, Bill?  This update is critical to me.  I thoght it was supposed to be ready 8/29…

Supposed to be ready for the WEEK of August 29. Week is 7 days. Therefore, should be ready at the latest Sunday September 4, 2011 at 11:59:59 PM

Bill_S wrote:

I said by next week, not by the 29th.  That, for us, would mean by Friday, September 2.  Of course, all of this is barring any unforeseen issues.  Because I’ve heard nothing, I am assuming it’s still in the works for this week.

1 Like