New Release - My Net Router Firmware Updates (5/21/13)

WD is happy to announce its release of the My Net Family Router firmware updates for the…

Feel free to post your experiences to this thread.

2 Likes

I was told this would address my issues with the WiFi dropping and DNS issues but I don’t see anything about that in the release notes.  

Can you elaborate on what exactly has been done in these areas and how the firmware will fix my problems?  Right now I have two of these sitting in my living room and I need to know if I should even try to update the firmware on them before sending them back.  

digidan wrote:

I was told this would address my issues with the WiFi dropping and DNS issues but I don’t see anything about that in the release notes.  

Can you elaborate on what exactly has been done in these areas and how the firmware will fix my problems?  Right now I have two of these sitting in my living room and I need to know if I should even try to update the firmware on them before sending them back.  

I checked up on your question and this is what I was told: This firmware addresses most of the Wi-Fi dropping issues. It wouldn’t hurt to update your firmware to the latest.  If you are still seeing the issue, afterward, please let us know and we will investigate.

Dug out of closest, plugged in and updated…  My first 30 minutes with new firmware…

1. Firmware update successful

2. Reset to default via reset button on bottom after confirmation of first power up with new firmware

3. Configured nothing from default

4. Plugged in hardline lan pc

5. Ran my synctoy backup to USB hdd on N900 - roughly 4GB in new music files, mp3’s only (USB3.0 1TB Drive)

6. Saw 4.5MB/s transfer rate, and saw a peak of roughly 5.0MB/s (megabytes per second)

7. Router locked up in 4 minutes, no internet, no USB hdd

8.  Internet seemed to fix itself automatically after about 30-60 seconds - weird…  It seemed like the router tried to recover itself.  It has never done this before with older firmware.

9. USB HDD no longer detected by N900 - was used on port#1

10. USB HDD not detected by windows at same time as #7, network drive disconnected

11.  Hard router reboot to repair

12. Do not blame the USB HDD again, it is brand new (10 days old) after the last tech blamed my hardware

When I use the wireless I will let you know how it works.  I suspect more of the same…

I’m not having any issues with just drag and drop for my files. How does drag and drop of those mp3 files work for you?

When HDD is plugged directly to PC, no problems.  I did 300GB this way due to the N900

When plugged into the N900, either synctoy writing to network drive, or directly writing to drive causes same problem.  It is not a pc software/OS problem.  It is the N900 failing.  I would guess the USB interface or the main CPU.  It did recover the internet after the freeze, so it leads me to believe it rebooted/reset the router CPU.  Which in turn points to the N900 locking up…Again.  Keep in mind I am backing up 4GB of MP3 files.  Each file might be 1-2MB in size.  This is not a bulky file swap, simply a backup of many small files causing a lot of network traffic.  This is why I did this first, if this will not work, nothing else will.  As I ramp up my traffic, it consistently locks up.  Sometimes it takes me 3-5 minutes of me stress testing it, sometimes a day of normal usage, but is predictable as the sunrise.  My stress test of 4GB in MP3 files is hardly a test, but consistently locks up the router

My unit is a NON-Central N900.  I would assume the central models have similar interaction with the internal HDD to the USB bus.  I have seen similar speeds in the 5MB/s region with the centrals also.  I suspect hard usage on a central would duplicate my problems.

It is more stable than the previous 1.06 however WiFi does drop occasionaly (although only for a split second) and router doesn’t lockup anymore (N900).

So devs are on the right track with this one…

Thx, Serge.

They may want to get your guys’ logs so they can investigate this more.

[edit] I will make sure this gets passed along.

I’ll try it this weekend, but have to admit I’ve been in heaven using my Apple Aiport Exteme over the last week.  Stable internet strong signal and no issues at all.

Bill_S wrote:

They may want to get your guys’ logs so they can investigate this more.

[edit] I will make sure this gets passed along.

The logs can only be retrieved if the unit is not locked up, correct?  If it locks up and I cannot access the dashboard, how do I get the logs?

I have to power cycle to unlock, which would kill the logs?  Am I missing something?  I have never been successful at trying to get them previously.

Despite my problems with WD, I have placed it back inline as the main router.  The true test will be when I return home tonight if it is still working.  I will try and cooperate and supply info again if required.  Currently running the N900 non-central as the main with a 1TB USB HDD and USB printer attached, 2 AP’s, 2 hardline pc’s, 1 media server sending data everywhere, xbox360, android phone, android tablet, laptop.  Needless to say I find the problems pretty quickly.

N900 Non-Central has been installed as primary router for entire home for 48 hours.  Running latest firmware from this post.  See issues below…

1. Router disconnected from USB HDD on port 1 after 4-5 minutes - router locked up, internet stopped, wifi stopped.  After 30-60 seconds router healed/reset itself.  Internet returned, wifi returned, USB HDD was still disconnected.  Router required hard reboot to fix this.

2. Today the router has been running for 2 days nonstop.  Internet has been rock solid (first time ever for two days).  Today when I returned home the dashboard is unavailable (DHCP server 192.168.1.1).  Not accessible from wifi or hardline, tried two different computers.  The dashboard is not responding, however the router is still alive and internet is up.  The USB HDD has magically returned again also

3. Since #2 happened, I cannot access my other AP’s either.  My main dashboard (192.168.1.1) and my AP’s configuration pages (192.168.1.102 and 192.168.1.103) are inaccessible also.  My N900 is set as master browser if it helps

UPDATE - I can ping all IP’s successfully, only the config/dashboard pages do not work via IE explorer, Chrome browser or firefox.  Simply unavailable.

Why ? 

Why did I wanted to apply this update when the latest firmware was running smoothly for me, which seems to be an exception ? 

Now, after applying the update, I can’t even get to connect to internet !

I managed to connect once, but that lasted for about 2 hours… and then : nothing ! 

Tried everything to get it to work… and it should work because if I  just disconnect the cable from the WD router and hook it into a Netgear router, I get a connection from that router ! 

So why not from the N900 ? This is probably going to remain a complete mystery :frowning:

Regards. 

NetPenguin

Just updated. No problem so far but of course it’s only been 120 seconds.

Firmware version is, 1.07.16, but it says the build date is Friday, April 12.

Kelly

Excellent update!

The issues were mentioned earlier in this thread 

I am pleased to report that after patiently waiting for many months this release fixes the long outstanding issue of streaming Videos to an Android device is finally resolved :smiley:

It has been about 48hrs since the update and the router (Net central N900) has been working like a champ, No lockups or overheating. I also noticed that the built-in drive goes to sleep mode more often when not in use thereby reducing power consumption and heat.

There was one occasion of a hiccup wherein the router’s Wi-Fi interface acted up and I lost access to it but other than that one incident which I can consider external factor it has been rock solid.

I must honestly thank the developers and engineers who took my feedback postively and fixed the problems and enabled Video SMB access to Android tablets. 

Good Job WD.  Excellent upgrade - I do appreciate it.

Best regards

Vistawall

Updated firmware as directed by Western Digital (recieved a phone call saying that my issue should be resolved by updating).  I have reset the router to factory defaults after updating and power cycled.  Here’s the results:

Previous Firmwares:

1GB File Transfer 4-5MB

New Firmware:

1GB File Transfer 5-6MB

It’s a 1MB jump!  Now considering my old N900 would transfer at 10-20mb a sec with a cooling fan under it maybe tech support will actually accept this as a hardware issues now!

EDIT:  1 GB file still transferring and has peaked at 6.79MB a sec!

Hi Iraptuel,

Weird problem and I woudl agree that there’s a hardware problem ! Can’t be sure it’s related to the router, but currently, I’m transferring about 25Gb to my NAS hooked up via my N900 router at a 27Mb average, with some peaks at 32/33 Mb ! 

The Netgear was about 1 or 2 Mb faster… but only has 4 Ethernet ports, so I’ll stick to the N900. 

But I will eventually try to install that new software to see if I can reach the Netgear speed. 

This would leave just the USB sharing feature unsolved, but since I got my 15TB NAS, I don’t really need that feature anymore :slight_smile:

Regards. 

NetPenguin

Wow! That’s some great speed. When I was on the 5.12 firmware version I was only getting a top of 11 or 12. My NAS is only 5400 so not sure if that was the bottleneck, but my laptop, router, and NAS are all 1gb connections. In fact it’s the My Book Like Duo.

All,

Please do not confuse the Internal HDD of a N900 Central or a USB HDD connected to a N900-Non Central to a NAS.

NAS = Network attached storage - meaning a Ethernet cable that attaches to the device/appliance.  This would have its own processor and not be influenced by the N900 computing power

N900 Drive = router cloud/router HDD.  Uses the N900 processor to transfer to the N900 USB bus. 

My performance using my USB HDD attached to my N900 is **bleep** = 5MB/s, if I transfer a file via network to another PC = 25-30MBs

You are mentioning NAS performance through your LAN.  We are talking apples, you are talking oranges…  Different.  

Not mad, just please be clear in your statements for WD to address the real issues.

Hi Nissan,

Yep… you’re right of course. 

The confusing thing is only due to the fact that there are no different threads for the N900 and the N900 Central. 

And is I do not own a CENTRAL, I tend to forget that others have one :slight_smile:

YES : the speed given is the speed achieved when transferring large files to my LaCie 5Big Network 2 NAS running 5 X 3Tb of WD drives in Raid 5 + BackUp. 

BUT : I must say that I somewhat disagree when you mention that for a NAS the computing power of the router is irrelevant. It is of course LESS relevant, but speeds may vary from one router to another… and event from one FW to another. With the FW before the last one, I got the indicated speeds. After applying the update, I am unable to get speeds over 24/25Mbps as peak speeds, and with over about 20Mb/s average ! 

I’ll reinstall 6.0.18 to see if that is confirmed…

Regards. 

NetPenguin

I agree with the NAS being dedicated to file transfer and therefore having higher file transfer speeds. It was discussed before that different individual file sizes has impact in the speed as well. Many small files is slower than 1 big file. Also are these transfers all from PC to N900? Also discussed before was if its from 1 USB HDD on N900 to another USB on N900 then the speed will be half. Same case with internal N900C to/from USB HDD on N900C.

Finally to avoid any confusion, 1MB=8Mb. I’ll try mine out and see how it lines up.