New Release - My Book Live Firmware Version 02.41.05 – 034 (2/27/2013)

Dear Sir,

A week ago, upon accessing my shares, I received a notification about the new firmware 2.41 available and, foolishly, without giving it second thought, I updated my existing firmware. I thereafter lost access to all my shares and what’s more, I figured that by resetting to the quick factory defaults, I would revert to my prior state of being able to access my shares. As you have probably understood, all my data are gone now and I am left with a useless network device that, as far as the firmware update is concerned, was successfully updated. I own two “my book live” devices. I am furious with the way you handle such sensitive issues, because you should thouroughly test ANY FIRMWARE update before bragging about it its release and announcement as a major event, whereas on the contrary, it is subpar, buggy and deprives your NAS of its major one and only  function which is none other than DATA STORAGE. I am, of course, responsible for the loss of my data and can’t blame you for that. However, had it not been for that notification of yours, I would have kept my data. As far as I am concerned, I would be skeptical and reluctant to buy any of your products in the future.

For anyone who had issues installing the latest upgrade.

As you can read in my previous post, I was having an issue some of you also had.

After my first attempt yesterday, my WDL Duo did not upgrade but was still active, although the front led was blue instead of the more assuring green state.

But today for some strange reason, I’ve managed to update.

This is what I did:

• Open up the Web UI of the NAS

• Do a reboot of the WDL (in my case the front led returned to green again)

• After the reboot the Upgrade starts automatically (maybe because the upgrade didn’t close yesterday)

• In my situation it keeps telling that 4% was completed

• After one hour I decided to close the web UI, and open a new one to reboot the WDL again

• But after opening a new Web UI, the upgrade indicator (which was still running, apparantly) was at 10%

• And within a minute or 10 it was completely done upgrading

• The reboot and initializing process starts, and this also took about 10 minutes.

• And now my WDL Duo is up and running again with the latest firmware.

I don’t know why the upgrade finally succeeded, but it looks as if closing and reopening the Web UI did the trick.

@Toon61, just so I have this straight, you put this firmware update on a 2 disk MyBookLive DUO? This firmware is meant for the 1 disk MyBookLive. I can’t believe it is working and actually mounted your data volume…

Windows 8 App Store should have the latest WD app available posted now that will work with My Book Live and Live Duo

stuck at 4% for hour… what to do??? 

WOW after 1 hour 15 min its done…

where is settings page fow new server???

headscratcher:

click the link below and it will explain twonky and WD Media…both are media servers but from two different providers so to speak.

KBA# 5735 Link:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5735

You can download the patch to switch between the two servers.

MKV is just a container that supports high def movies…and yes that can include 3D.

For detailed info on MKVs, try to Google or check on Wikipedia

Evgenix

click the link below and it will explain twonky and WD Media and to download the patches.  You will need to manually run the patch two switch between the two servesr

KBA# 5735 Link:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5735

You can download the patch to switch between the two servers.

Toon61: There was a firmware released for My Book Live and Live Duo about 2 days apart.  Keep in mind, the firmware version for each are the same 02.41.05-034.  I think you got the correct version for Duo updated.  If you tried to load the wrong firmware it will time out and pop an error message with a few seconds of the update process.

anyone knows if i can use the twonky patch for the my book duo???

You can not (at least the good ones), the installation script searches the preinstalled version of Twonky in the MBL (in this case version 5), if found copying to another location and activates the WD Media Server. To restore Twonky does the same but in reverse, find the previous copy of Twonky and restored as it was preinstalled.

MBL Duo has no preinstalled Twonky version, no? So the installation fails (not finding Twonky preinstalled).

Salu2!

Issue2:

I used to get 5.2Mb/s transfer speeds from my laptop to NAS drive thru wifi over an N-series Asus router.

After the latest firmware upgrade this been dropped to 2.3Mb/s. Does any body else facing this issue.

Also request WDC to have firmware fix to its WD media server to get data from all shares including private shares with password set and provide media configuration page for its WD media server just like twonky config pages.

Does this page exists currently ?

-Eff

I found out that using Twonky over wifi or cable runs smooter. But the DLNA server is shuttle sometimes. I have one MBL and one MBL Duo.  First I thought it was the wifi and I only use MLB duo.

But after this update with the switching between Twonky and DLNA server. I did a little test with my MBL (that I haven’t use using wifi.)

Twonky wihout thumbnail runs smoother.

DLNA with thumbnail runs not very smooth.

I have problems with srt files (subtitles) on My Book Live 2tb some times my samsung D8000 detect with out problems the subtitles, other they don’t detect srt on any video file. I update the firmware and install the patch this now  work with mkv (with twonky I can see this files) but now the problem is with subtitles. Any one have a solution to this problem?

Dear all,

For me it is crucial to have subtitle support for movies and therefore I use now MiniDLNA server. Does new WD’s DLNA Media Server support subtitle files with non-English characters?

Many thx for your advice.

Best regards,

Sasa

I have a MBL and MBL duo. Both runing DLNA server, and no subtitiles. I am using a LG TV.

Immediately after I updated to firmware version 02.41.05-034, my 2TB MBL began constantly stopping and restarting. The restarts happen every 30 minutes or so. 

The alert messages say:

Event title:System restart / Event description:The system has restarted. / Severity:info / Event code:2001

I obviously can’t be sure that the release caused it, but the timing is suggestive

I use the drive for backup and for streaming music, so I would be really grateful for any ideas.

Hi,

I had connected my MyBookLive using Cat6 cable to my Samsung LEDTV-6 Series and was happily using for the past 1 year and watching my downloaded movies directly on my TV. However once I updated the latest firmware related to Tonky Service, it has stopped and its not showing folders anymore. 

Earlier I had the option to search using folders, by date etc, now nothing is coming. PLease help and please advice how to remove the latest firmwire update and roll to earlier Twonky service. 

Just to make it clear there is no Windows 8 , Windows 7 nothing in between…in my case its the TV directly accessing WD live and playing. 

So are you stating that once upgraded DLNA stops working with Samsung TV? My case is that, till now for past 1 year it was working, however with my SAMSUNG TV it has stopped working. Any way to fix this ?

Got another email to upgrade. Is the drive going to send me an email every few weeks? If so how do I stop that?