New Release - Firmware Version 3.09.18 for WD TV Live Hub (1/24/13)

Are custom backdrops for tv shows back in this update or is it still like the last update? Couldn’t stand the new way they handled backdrops for TV series in the last one. I like having a single screenshot of the episode in the background and not constantly scrolling fanarts. Am I able to do this and still have them named properly as SXXEXX.ext again?

Any change to offer support for Netflix LA ??

Woa !

How long has Audio Lip Sync / Adjust Subtitles and all the other options been there when viewing  film and selecting the options button. I must have missed that bit.

Since day 1… :wink:

avi and m4v files that played without a hitch now will either not play of stutter.

adrian321 wrote:

Make that 3.  Same thing: screen goes off every few min then come back on my 50in LCD after this update on hdmi.

hsilva wrote:

The screen on my 42" 1080i Philips plasma TV flashes after upgrading my WD TV Live Hub to firmware version 3.09.18. I was unable to resolve the issue by specifying a compatible HDMI setting, rather than HMDI (Auto), or even resetting my WD TV Live Hub. Rollback to most recent firmware available under KBA # 5860, version 3.07.14, made the screen stop flashing. Hoping that the online upgrade to 3.09.18 might have simply become corrupted, I tried reapplying the upgrade via USB, but the screen flashing returned as soon as the upgrade began, just as during the original online upgrade. For some reason, firmware version 3.08.14, which I had been running most recently, was not available for rollback under KBA # 5860.

I have the same exact pronblem… hdmi flashing on Phillips plasma display…  Have not rolled back yet… will do it tomorrow… bummer.  Update: Why is there no rollback to 3.08.14?  

Make that 4. The weird thing is it may be only older HDMI TVs, I tried on the 2 newer TVs and everything works, same HDMI cables.

Older Philips Plasma 42" 1080i ambilight thing = not working :frowning:

newer Philips LCD 1080P 240hz = works perfect

Sony Google TV = works perfect

I’m hoping this problem gets fixed since the TV the hub always sits at is the Plasma.

I finally update my Main WD TV Live Hub, because I was getting tired of the Nag Message. Now, I no longer see my NAS Device on my network! Anyone else have this problem or have a fix for it?

Thanks

playerone wrote:

avi and m4v files that played without a hitch now will either not play of stutter.

I had a similar issue - a lot of them just bombed out at random points in the video and then refused to skip forward when played again. The message given was “The video does not support tricking” or something odd.

After a few reboots and full library rebuild, it seems to be okay again except for a bunch of duplicate folders all over the place.

I ran the firmware update today.  As someone earlier mentioned, at the end of the update installation I lost video and just had a black screen.  Unplugging and grounding both ends of the HDMI cable and then re-attaching the cable seemed to fix the video problem.  I haven’t had a chance to check functionality of the new firmware yet. 

Same HDMI issue with the new firmware update. In my case I have to pull the HDMI cable out of the TV then reconnect it to get the WD menu screen to display the first time I power the unit on. May have to do a rollback to 3.08.

I got a PINK screen twice in one day.

Rolled back Firmware and havent had an issue since.

Whenever I read the threads about new firmware, I am amazed at the range of problems people have, some seemingly with no rhyme or reason. I upgraded without issue, yet some here are getting blacked out screens, some with issues playing video files etc. Seems like our configurations cannot be that different as we are all using  contained device, not something like XBMC or another computer based media center where everyones setup and hardware is completley different. I am not a coder or a hardware expert, but at a basic level it just doesn’t make sense to me.

Sorry to hear about the problems some of you are having. I would guess after a few reboots rolling back may be your best option.

As I have never had a problem with an update that wasn’t a known issue, I await with some anticipatory fear of the FW update that will casue me frustrating problems and the need to rollback, while others’ devices work fine. It’s bound to occur at some point.

Can any of you ROM / harware / FW gurus out there explain why some people have issues and some don’t while we are all runing the same hardware? 

Good luck to yeveryone, and I hope you can all get back up and running.

-P

In regards to the ‘HDMI Picture problems’  (pink and black screens) we all own different brand / types of TV’s

Which have different Extended display identification data (EDID) data.

From the " Wiki"

The EDID includes manufacturer name and serial number, product type, phosphor or filter type, timings supported by the display, display size, luminance data and (for digital displays only) pixel mapping data.

Also, people use different conections for their tv (eg.composite, component (analog) & hdmi (digital)

Can any of you ROM / harware / FW gurus out there explain why some people have issues and some don’t while we are all runing the same hardware?

Assuming all hardware is compatible and working properly, it’s. . . .

Networks, networks, and NETWORKS.  If a home network is not “up tight and right” and there is something amiss, the WDTV will find it and barf.  The definition of “network” here includes the modem, router, the sharing settings through Windows, the connections – either wired or wireless, the master browser – just about anything set up wrong or missing in this chain can cause failures.

The other problem is proper rebooting of entire system if need be, and patience to wait until one unit is booted well before another one follows.  Patience, too, in waiting for shares to appear – sometimes it takes a while for things to settle down (not a long time, just some time.)

Mostly, it’s networks, as they bring a whole new dimension of “wierdness” to using the PC and its connected gadgets.

I think the problem is that most people can’t see why their WD player needs all this special attention when all of their other gear connects perfectly to their TV and network out of the box.

richUK wrote:
I think the problem is that most people can’t see why their WD player needs all this special attention when all of their other gear connects perfectly to their TV and network out of the box.

Yea, like my Roku media players!   They just WORK!  Updates to firmware come in automagically, and no problems afterwards.  If they ever make a media player with similar features as WD’s, I’m buying it.

Then again, they are connected to the router, of course, but not to the network as a WD player is.  Again, it is those pesky network shares that throws a monkey wrench into things for many people.

After reading the responses, i am guessing that it is the networking issue and peoples knowledge of the other computers on their network. Im no whiz with this, but with my config, I use a livePlus and LiveHub, both connect to a file Win7 file server to get audio/video over SMB and also the both access a Playon server via DLNA. I have never had an issue where I could not access the shares or the media server. I am only using one subnet but some of the devices are attached to my router, and others to a switch that is attached to the router. Seems flawless through every FW upgrade I have done. I think understanding Windows shares and permissions would solve a lot of issues that poeple encounter, but the stuttering or delayed video part I have no idea about and have never encountered it. It may be that I have hardwired everything excep my ROKU, and yes, that does a lot of buffering… Sure, dragging cat5 cable around the house and through the walls was a pain, but I had already done that before I started with the WD stuff.

-P

Stuttering:    Is mostly caused by slow transmissions coming and going.  Wireless is the culprit in most of these cases.  Other than that, could be a lousy router, slow PC, the many other problems mentioned, yada, yada.   For example, I recently discovered that the wireless card in my laptop has gotten flaky, so of course I would have trouble with the WD if I used it wirelessly on the PC.  (I now have to figure out how the heck to lift out the HD so I can get at the &$^#* wireless card!  Service manual is almost useless!)

Being connected to a network switch is no problem – In my entertainment console, I have three switches ganged together so there are enuff connections, and then my WD is on the last one.  Same as being right off the router; I’ve tested it with the laptop.

mike27oct wrote:

(I now have to figure out how the heck to lift out the HD so I can get at the &$^#* wireless card!  Service manual is almost useless!)

Ouch, good luck with that one Mike

-P

Yep, after looking at the underside of my HP laptop, I have come to the conclusion that all the components were poured in as liquid parts where they then take shape and harden into place!  TIght-fitting is an understatement.