New Release - Firmware Version 3.03.13 for WD TV Live Hub (2/29/12)

Device reboots when playing music after Firmware Upgrade 3.03.13

See/comment/kudo posted Issue in the exchange here:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Hub-Issue-Reporting/Device-reboots-when-playing-music-after-Firmware-Upgrade-3-03-13/idi-p/362419

Short Summary:

- What happened?
    Device reboots while listening to MP3 music files.

- What were you doing?
    After starting playback of MP3 files, I did nothing.  More specifically:

1. Turn on Device normally.
  2. Browse to Music.
  3. Browse to and select (with the play button) any of the following folders:
  • All Tracks
  • Artist  >  - ALL -
  • Genre/Song  >  ( - ALL - or any Genre)
  1. Music may reboot at this point or may start playing, but after anywhere from 1 to 5 songs the device reboots.  
  • UPDATE:

I hadn’t tested for this issue with photos at the time of this posted but can now confirm that these issues also apply in exactly the same way to Photos. To restate:

PHOTO SLIDE SHOWS IN RANDOM / SHUFFLE MODE WILL ALSO REBOOT THE DEVICE.

1 Like

Has anyone tried their optical output in this release?   I see one PCM fix, but nothing about the toslink.

So since I updated the firmware my files have been recognized 7 times each. hard to find the move you want when you have to scroll through a title 7 times. Then I disconected and reconected my external hard drive and all that is showing up is 3 titles when I plug the drive into my mac it showes 400 but now the hub only recognises 3? also downgraded back to the last update. no change… only seeing 3 of 400 titles. Help

I had some troube since I upgrade my Live hub: can’t run any of my video…

Try several time to restart = Doesn’t work

Try the manufactory reset = work

But when i turn off, turn on the day after, can’t read anymore…

So what to do ?

Anyone has an idea how to fix it ?

Also, i try to downgrade, but it’s doesn’t sound possible.

Help pls…

Sauda817

Anyone else having funky time with thumbnails?  After upgrading to 3.03.13, Most of my show thumbnails and about half of my folder thumbnails aren’t showing, and it seemed to be getting worse the more I tired to sort it out.  

I waited til compiling was finished; I cleared the media library.   Didn’t help. Didn’t matter if media library was on or not, they were stubbornly staying invisible, just getting ugly folder and projector icons.  

I rolled back firmware, everything was fine again.  I reinstalled 3.03.13, and had the same issues, so now I’ve rolled back again.  I just use the default interface, no themes. 

Usually when I have some issue, I check the forum and the problem is all over the place … this time most everyone else seems ok and nobody reports anything about this.  Odd.  Anyone else got a clue?

Thanks,

Johnny

I’m so glad that the Vorbis audio format is now supported.

I will buy this wd player. Do it support pgs subtitles with this firmware???

JohnnyLamb wrote:

Anyone else having funky time with thumbnails?  After upgrading to 3.03.13, Most of my show thumbnails and about half of my folder thumbnails aren’t showing, and it seemed to be getting worse the more I tired to sort it out.  

Which version did you upgrade from? Also, are the missing folder thumbnails for VIDEO_TS (DVD) folders? Thumbnails on those haven’t worked since 2.07.17 for me.

Same here on using only the default theme.

This old problem (at least for me) is quite frustrating. The hub understands the DVD folders enough to play them and to get content for info and backdrops but it simply won’t display it’s own thumbnails. I’ve tried variants of removing and renaming the .metathumb file, manually adding the .jpg file and nothing seems to work. Restarts, resets, pulling the plug, clearing the medial library, media library on/off, removing cache directories, and the paperclip reset do not resolve the problem.

The only “solution” that appears to work for the VIDEO_TS thumbnail problem is to convert it to an .iso. Although I wouldn’t call that a solution. It’s an avoidance of the problem. For me it’s not worth the effort of converting the library.

I wish WD would publish the location and format requirements for their own thumbnails with the default theme. I"m at a loss to understand why something this basic is broken (at least for me).

I’d like to hear from others if thumbnails work with VIDEO_TS folders using the default theme on any version newer than 2.07.17.

After update this firmware, reboot my device after a minute, and after off/standby mode, so reboot my device again again . . .

chip_r wrote:

JohnnyLamb wrote:

Which version did you upgrade from? Also, are the missing folder thumbnails for VIDEO_TS (DVD) folders? Thumbnails on those haven’t worked since 2.07.17 for me.

Same here on using only the default theme.

I’d like to hear from others if thumbnails work with VIDEO_TS folders using the default theme on any version newer than 2.07.17.

I updated from the most recent previous version, 3.01 something.  Don’t use Video_ts folders, so can’t speak to that. My problem was with all directories and video files randomly.  Some avi, some mks, and my only iso file.  I couldn’t see a pattern showing which were messed up and which weren’t.  All were working with previous firmware, all are working again again after rollback.

Thanks for your reply, good luck with getting your video_ts issue resolved.

John

What’s a movie sheet? Is this something included in new f/w?

I wish…read up in the Themes section.

So Iv’e been on 3.00.28 and had no probelms for a month now with this puppy and i love this thing. So I updated it through the hub itself no usb and it hang up a 0%. So I pulled the plug…woops, and now the hub is alsways with solid lite and stuck on the WD logo screen. Did the rollback thingy with a usb stick and wanted to go back to 3.00.28 and it would stay at 0% and not move. did this several times. Then opened this puppy up and tried to do a “Cold Boot” by plugging drive in PC and changing some things around…still same WD logo. Finally i put it back together and transfered the rollback info to a ext. seagate drive no stick cause i’ve read they are sometimes poopy specially on older firmware and plugged it in and BAM!!! updated (rolled back) to 3.00.28 and back in business. i almost sent this thing back with all my stuff…thats why i opened it carefully :slight_smile: So Im scared to even update to 3.01.19 again…i dont think its worth it. Has anyone got a solid prosedure of doing a firmware update? thxs

Patience helps.

I have updated last few from the the box itself no problems.

Before that it was any stick I could find. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Patience definitely works. First try took 15 hours and stuck at 0% second try 8 hrs stuck at 0% and so on. So usually this puppy will update in 10-20 Min. So obviously the hub didn’t like the update through the UI or rolling back on new formatted USB stick. But it like the rollback on my ext. Seagate drive… Weird. After all that, I like my 3.00.28 :) 

I tried to update firmware last night thru wireless connection and it went down after 10 minutes with 26% progress saying the network connection is not reliable then i restarted my device and again I tried to upgrade using wireless connection and it took 1 hours and still remains at 5% and went down with the same message.

Then I use my USB stick to upgrade, took 10 minutes and boom… it went fine. So my advice is to use USB to upgrade.

This is not offical procedure but it has worked perfect for me for about 5 FW updates…

1. Download the FW from WD

2. Place the files on a freshly formatted USB stick (quick format has worked fine FAT32)

3. Reset the Hub with the reset hole on the bottom of the Hub

4. Run the update after setting date and time on the hub

5. After update is complete do another reset as you did before

6. Set it up and have fun…

No problems here other than WDs inherent ones. 

1 Like

So I finally tried it again. I couldn’t stand being without the new stuff. So I put the new update on my ext. seagate drive, right on the root. I powered down hub by holding power button until the light was off. Then I powered it up and waited unttl flashing light was done. I selected update firmware and it did its thing and BAM! 20 min later i was back in. But for the heck of it, I then did a factory reset and cleared the media library and set it all back up. which is only 10min. But I’ve noticed something…why does it now in the UI video tab say i have 1,050 videos when only theres 215? I’ve  cleared media library and let it compile and still the same thing.

Ignore the video tab. How it counts up the files is a mystery. It would actually be better if this count could be disabled.

If you see your files and you can play them, then all is good.

Hello

I have my media files (mostly mkv) on my WD My Book Essential external USB drive and while playing a media file the playback suddenly stops/freezes. It happens very randomly 3 or 4 times during a normal movie. My possibilites are to press “Stop” on the remote and resume the movie, or wait until movie restarts playing. When the movie stops playing the HD indicator on the “My Book” stops flashing. It seems to be a FW problem, because with latest happens more frequently.

Only happens with external HDD, never with internal.

Anyone with same problem?