New Release - Firmware Version 2.05.08 for WD TV Live Hub (4/12/11)

caboken wrote:

Is there a way to reinstall the firmware?

Yes…

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5860/

It would be nice if WD staff would comment on some of these issues every once in a while. 

I agree, something is wrong with colors and brightness now that was not present in the previous firmware.  In fact, I am certain that the Video Output settings do not stay set anymore…for example, I set it to 1080p60 RGB High, everything looks great, then later the video washes out again (too bright).  I go back and set the Video Output back to 1080p60 RGB High and everything goes back to looking great.  

Actually, before this update, I used the YCbCr setting, but now that setting is unacceptably washed out.  

Somekind of bug here.

Thanks for all the updates and thanks for listening!

Jeff

Oh, yeah…the new Netflix interface is cool, and thanks for adding CinemaNow!  Really appreciate the added features and services.  If Amazon Video was added, I would then be on cloud 9!!!

Thanks again to the WDTV crew,

Jeff

(From Australia), bought my HD TV Live Hub 5 weeks ago (batch R/N=B8K, DCM=BBAEAAA). Device had been running ok with different Firmware update so far (there were defects but they could be tolerated such as remote power button sometime not working, files not found etc)   UNTIL this latest FW 2.05.08 update done on tuesday to my device. This morning while playing some music, the device suddenly shut itself down, when tried to power up again, the device shut itself down after 15 seconds, have tried many times and no luck. It is having the same issue as the other people having as described in General Discussion thread =>

Help… Hub powers up… WD light flashes… then powers itself off

My device is dead, all my family videos and photo are at risk. I trust WD before as a reliable storage device and have chosen it as my media hub without doing many backup. Please WD support, can you guys please reply to the above thread which has been hanging around for 4 months without any professional reponse from WD. I advice that all the potential WD TV Live HUB buyers hold your decision until they have delivered a real solution or recall the faulty devices. I do not want  to see many more victims to fall into this disaster. 

connect the hdd inside the hub to your computer if you haven’t saved anything previously, thats what i did for a different reason and it works fine

jpgwd wrote:

(From Australia), bought my HD TV Live Hub 5 weeks ago (batch R/N=B8K, DCM=BBAEAAA). Device had been running ok with different Firmware update so far (there were defects but they could be tolerated such as remote power button sometime not working, files not found etc)   UNTIL this latest FW 2.05.08 update done on tuesday to my device. This morning while playing some music, the device suddenly shut itself down, when tried to power up again, the device shut itself down after 15 seconds, have tried many times and no luck. It is having the same issue as the other people having as described in General Discussion thread =>

Help… Hub powers up… WD light flashes… then powers itself off

My device is dead, all my family videos and photo are at risk. I trust WD before as a reliable storage device and have chosen it as my media hub without doing many backup. Please WD support, can you guys please reply to the above thread which has been hanging around for 4 months without any professional reponse from WD. I advice that all the potential WD TV Live HUB buyers hold your decision until they have delivered a real solution or recall the faulty devices. I do not want  to see many more victims to fall into this disaster. 

Why are posting in this thread if you already know about the general discussion thread on this problem. If you have read that thread you will know that there is a solution but it means opening the hub. If your files are so important then this may be the way to go.

JUST SAY NO !

If you like netflix,  Don’t install this release…

Mine locks up… Displays buttons labeled “Undefined” … Looses your password and login on install … fails to load netflix at all and locks up sometimes …

All in all , unless you need CinemaNow, don’t do it !!!

There should be a ‘revert’ to the version that worked (better) Option on these things… 

rberk2 wrote:

JUST SAY NO !

If you like netflix,  Don’t install this release…

Mine locks up… Displays buttons labeled “Undefined” … Looses your password and login on install … fails to load netflix at all and locks up sometimes …

All in all , unless you need CinemaNow, don’t do it !!!

There should be a ‘revert’ to the version that worked (better) Option on these things… 

And on the other hand it may do none of these things. And there is a revert to the better option - its called a firmware rollback. Its all detailed in the link below.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5860

Hello, as a software developer with 26 hrs experience and almost 20 years writing Internet software alone, this upgrade has some very serious issues. Quite frankly, the team that wrote this software would be fired if I were their manager. Frankly, it was probably the design team and not them that messed up this upgrade. I use NetFlix and purchased the WD TV Live Hub since it had a excellent reputation of playing NetFlix streaming video. WD TV Live Hub proved to be an excellent choice for streaming NetFlix until now. Sadly, I am stuck with a slow DSL connection and that can not be increased due to various constraints. If you use the upgrade you will first notice that it will not recognize that you are a NetFlix member. You must enter your email address and password which should be easy except it isn’t easy since there is no information on the screen indicating how to enter alpha characters. After a long call too NetFlix with a very kind customer service assistant,  it turns out you must enter a “OK” key on the blank email or passwword lines to bring up the text entry screen. This is non-intuitive and it should be documents on the entry screen. I simple one line sentence would save a lot of people a lot of time. This a a BIG user interfacing error.

If  you are unfortunate like me and have a slow DSL connection, expect a terrible NetFlix experience. All of the buffering code that took into account the user’s connection speed has been removed. Now you can expect continue rebuffering. In my case, I have a 600 Kbit connection and a streaming movie will rebuffer in less then 10 minutes  Now I am spending at least 40% of my time waiting for the box to rebuffer. In the past the movie would be a little “grainy” and that was OK. Trying to watch a movie that is continuously rebuffering simply does not work.

I agree with another posting, it does not appear this software has been beta tested. Unless I can find a way of reversing this software upgrade, my WD TV Live Hub will be headed for the scrap heap. As a experienced software developer, I was very impressed with the WD NetFlix experience since it really accommodated all users. This upgrade threw all of this quality code out the window.

Tony K

TonyK wrote:

Hello, as a software developer with 26 hrs experience and almost 20 years writing Internet software alone, this upgrade has some very serious issues. Quite frankly, the team that wrote this software would be fired if I were their manager. Frankly, it was probably the design team and not them that messed up this upgrade. I use NetFlix and purchased the WD TV Live Hub since it had a excellent reputation of playing NetFlix streaming video. WD TV Live Hub proved to be an excellent choice for streaming NetFlix until now. Sadly, I am stuck with a slow DSL connection and that can not be increased due to various constraints. If you use the upgrade you will first notice that it will not recognize that you are a NetFlix member. You must enter your email address and password which should be easy except it isn’t easy since there is no information on the screen indicating how to enter alpha characters. After a long call too NetFlix with a very kind customer service assistant,  it turns out you must enter a “OK” key on the blank email or passwword lines to bring up the text entry screen. This is non-intuitive and it should be documents on the entry screen. I simple one line sentence would save a lot of people a lot of time. This a a BIG user interfacing error.

If  you are unfortunate like me and have a slow DSL connection, expect a terrible NetFlix experience. All of the buffering code that took into account the user’s connection speed has been removed. Now you can expect continue rebuffering. In my case, I have a 600 Kbit connection and a streaming movie will rebuffer in less then 10 minutes  Now I am spending at least 40% of my time waiting for the box to rebuffer. In the past the movie would be a little “grainy” and that was OK. Trying to watch a movie that is continuously rebuffering simply does not work.

I agree with another posting, it does not appear this software has been beta tested. Unless I can find a way of reversing this software upgrade, my WD TV Live Hub will be headed for the scrap heap. As a experienced software developer, I was very impressed with the WD NetFlix experience since it really accommodated all users. This upgrade threw all of this quality code out the window.

Tony K

Its strange how many people come onto this forum and give us their full CV which is always impressive. Well I would certainly fire somebody who cannot even be bothered to read the post before their own which gives a link to the rollback firmware.

Download the old firmware from the link below and follow the instructions. I believe that once you have done that you can go to a setup menu and turn off the new firmware notification so you will not be constantly prompted to upgrade.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5860

Hope that saves your unit from the scrap heap.

P.S. Can we assume that the 26 hrs as a software developer is a mistake because really that is not impressive. :wink:

richUK wrote:

Its strange how many people come onto this forum and give us their full CV which is always impressive. Well I would certainly fire somebody who cannot even be bothered to read the post before their own which gives a link to the rollback firmware.

P.S. Can we assume that the 26 hrs as a software developer is a mistake because really that is not impressive. :wink:

• *> lol, i’ll second that. great rant :slight_smile:

I LOVE my WD HD TV PRO LIVE! It is awesome! Super high quality in every respect, very well thought out!

I did come across one potential problem. My USB Flash drive is formated using EXT4. I do this because EXT2/3/4 will transfer files (movies, music, etc) much much faster than Fat32 or NTFS. Before firmware 2.05.8, it worked fine. It use to sync the files to the media player. Now it seems EXT4 causes problems. It did copy over 1 file but it said “Preparing to unmount drive” and just stayed on that screen forever. Before, it showed a progress bar and copied the files quickly. It doesn’t do that now. :frowning:

TonyPh12345 wrote:

No, folks tend to say that when THEIR ideas are not incorporated.   They ignore the ideas that actually ARE incorporated.

Is this really the case ? Not so sure! The only thing i REALLY want on the HUB is volume control, and in the ideas section this was not suggested by me, but by Travis!

Let me start by saying that I am extremely happy with my device! It does what I wanted, and it does it very well! I am in no way bashing the product, but simply pointing out that the WD team seems to underprioritize its development!

AND, setting up an ideas-section lets us super-users (in lack of better word for us nerdy-hub-users) believe that we can actually make a difference. Take a closer look at the TOP 20 suggestions, or even TOP 40,  in the ideas section, the ones that a bunch of people are voting for and tell me if just a SINGLE one of them have been incorporated!! 

When you’re done, realising that NONE have been incorporated, look at the wd team’s comments. It is pretty much copy-paste comments going something like: “interesting. We’ll look into this”, “Thanks for the input, unfortunately this issue is fixed an cannot be altered”, “Thanks for your idea - we have been evaluating”, “We will look into addressing this issue.” and on and on and on…

It seems to me that the WD developers are having a hard enough time keeping up with all the bugs they create in new firmwares - that we probably cant expect any real new features being added any time soon. And don’t waste your time writing pages-and-pages of great ideas in the ideas section … that’s what it was trying to say!!

…and, Kudos, to all theme-developers on this forum. They have developed the interface on this product in ways WD could have never done !! (or perhaps have done by next millenium)

I bought a Live Hub today after owning a Live Plus for some time.  The Hub is a great box but I bought it hoping to play some 24/96 flac files over SPDIF to an external DAC.

I loaded up some 24/96 flacs and noticed the indicators lights on my DAC showing a quick flash at 96kHz then quickly falling to 48kHz.  It does this each time I try to start a new file.  I thought maybe it was just that my DAC was not indicating properly so I hooked the Hub up to my Denon 3803 AV receiver and sure enough the Denon indicates PCM 48KHz.

I then hooked up my DVD player and played a DVD-V that I made containing a similar stereo 24/96 audio recording.  The Demon display changed to PCM 96KHz.

Is there something I am doing wrong in the audio setup??  I’ve tried both stereo and pass-through for the optical output but it really didn’t seem to make much difference.

I’ve power down and unplugged the unit since updating to 2.05.08.  Is there something else I have to do??

This is such a fantastic little box that it’s a shame if it just can’t do 24/96.

Thanks,

… Jerry

I thought you’d already determined that the Hub wasn’t going to work for you and you went and bought an Asus?  

Go back to my post and read the rest of the story… no mystery really.

I never said the Hub wouldn’t work for me.  I said nobody would confirm that it would… The Asus played my Hi-Res audio until I upgraded to their latest firmware and then it started to down-convert to 48k also so I decided to take the WD engineers at their word that the Hub would not down-convert… I got it at Best Buy so it can go back along with a copy of the 1.04.13 change log (stating down-conversion has been fixed) if I so desire.

Problem is, I like the Hub a lot for other reasons… great UI, nice remove, good sized HD etc… just wish it would output Hi-Res audio.

The Asus sounded awesome for the little while that it was putting quality audio into my DAC.  But pretty well everything else was crude compared to the Hub.

I stopped listening to qualty music when LP’s disappeareed and home theatre came along.  Well that’s run it’s course… did the home theatre, projecter etc and now thanks to Hi-Res music I have really started to listen again.  Therefore my proirity is more toward quality sound.  Gave the projector and room full of speakers to the kids.

Yeah, I read it all.   ASUS apparently doesn’t let you roll back.   That sux…

The support on their forum is scary.  This site is really great and I trust WD to do their best to satisfy everyone if possible.  I was getting a little impatient since all it wanted was a yes/no confirmation on the down-conversion issue but I have to give credit to WD for the great job they did with the Hub and their efforts to address custom issues.

Hate to keep coming back with this but I did a little experimenting with the optical SPIDIF out.

I tried playing the following:    24/96 Flac, 24/96 Wav and 16/96 Wav.

Both my DacMagic DAC and my Denon 3803 receiver indicated a rate of 48k.

The DAC seemed to be searching for a clock for the fist couple of secs… bouncing up to 88k then 96k and back to 48k.

I figured maybe the data stream was actually 96k but there was a problem retrieving clock.

I then fed the optical output into the optical SPIDIF input on my Mac computer.  The computer locked to 48k.

I tried forcing it to 96k.  The sound really crapped out and it went back to 48k were it sounds good.

It appears the audio of both wav and flac files is definitely getting down converted on my box running 1.05.08.

Hope someone can advise me on possible setup issues or maybe this problem is not yet resolved.

I can make music only DVD-V’s with a stereo 24/96 audio track… maybe I can rip the DVD and trying doing something with the VOB… etc???