New Release - Firmware Version 2.05.08 for WD TV Live Hub (4/12/11)

Still no 5.1 PCM from blurays XD

I restored the 2.04.13  now the GUI  colors looks perfect!

Nice with a new update. But I haven’ t seen them ever adressing the biggest bugs in their firmware.

-The Live Hubs total lack of ability to play songs in random mode. Right now it only plays the same 50 (or so) songs closest to the one you started playing first in a more or less random order. So even if you have 1000 songs in the folder it will only play the same 50 songs over and over. 

This should be an easy bug to fix. As it is now the live hub in itself is totally useless as a music jukebox. Until they fix this I would strongly suggest anyone who plans on using the hub for this purpose to stay away.

-It would also be nice if the box were able to create playlists, and recieve playlists from external programs like Twonkymobile.

-I see that they have improved something about the search function. But after the update mine is still unable to find anything no matter what you search for. When I hit the “Submit” button nothing ever happens. I will try to completly rebuild the media library and see if that helps, but am quite sure it will not do anything.

-The hub is also sometimes unable to see new files added to it’s internal drive. They wount show anywhere unless you switch the media library off. Then they will appear. But it’s really unpractical to keep switching between the two modes like that.

-I also think that the onboard harddrive is extremly slow. Copying files from my laptop to it takes ages even if the hub is hardwired to my router. I have also tried to copy files from the same laptop to other network harddrives and a media center and that takes only a fraction of the time. And don’t ever try to extract a zip file stored on the internal drive to the same drive. This takes so long that you will save a lot of time moving the file to your laptop. Extracting it there and then move the extracted files back to the device.

-The device also moves extremly slow through librarys with a long pause for each time they load a new screen. So if you have more than 100 files in a folder you can just give up on accessing more than the first 100 files cause it takes too long. My ultracheap mp3-player have no problem scrolling through hundreds of files in a few seconds.

-The hub also keeps stopping playback in the middle of some video files that my media center have no problem playing from end to end. I have to find out where in the file it stopped, then manually skip to a few seconds later in the file to resume playback.

-I have managed to get an external keyboard to work with the hub, but only the letters. The arrows and enter keys wount work. So I have to use the remote for that. Mayby this is supported in other external keyboards, but am suspecting not.

The only thing the update did for me was adjusting the brightness of the screensaver so it now looks washed out and ugly. So if you don’t need any of the netflix updates I strongly suggest you don’t upgrade cause none of the problems I have had with the device seems to have been improved.

If they don’t adress some of the important issues with their firmware I am just putting the whole box away and going back to my media center. That took a long time to start up but at least it worked when it had booted.

I really don’t see why they are not able to at least fix the easier bugs like make a random/shuffle-function that actually works (every single other mp3-player, dvd-player, pc, mobile phone etc I have ever had has been able to do this with very limited memory and cpu). Then I would be willing to mayby forgive the general slowness of everything about the  whole device. If you control it via Twonky server on a mobile phone your actually able to find and play the files you would like fast. But it would have been so nice to be able to also control it directly…

1 Like

It might be an idea to continue this thread under the official release post as normal.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Firmware/New-Release-Firmware-Version-2-05-08-for-WD-TV-Live-Hub-4-12-11/td-p/170734

Yes, please.  They will be looking for it there.

1 Like

bill_s,

Please move our posts to :  http://community.wdc.com/t5/Firmware/New-Release-Firmware-Version-2-05-08-for-WD-TV-Live-Hub-4-12-11/td-p/170734 

Thank you.

Hey guys… I had the same problem with both a washed out/gray screen and the image being off-balance after the update to 2.05.08, plus it kept saying “upgrade incomplete” upon restart. I tried everything and nothing worked. That being said I have another live hub upstairs, and it upgraded fine. When I saw that, I realized that the hub upstairs was hardwired to my router, while the one with problems was wireless. Figuring it couldn’t hurt to try upgrading the one with issues via a Ethernet cable to my router, (as opposed to wireless) I went ahead and tried it. Problem solved! My screen was sharp and not washed out anymore, the off-kilter image was fixed and the upgrade was listed as “complete”. It confused me at first because in the “about” part of settings, it said the hub was fully upgraded, but it wasn’t. The hard wiring allowed the second part (listed as 2/2) to install. I went back to wireless after I did the upgrade, and everything worked perfect. Hopefully that may assist you. Was a weird issue, but Im glad all I lost was a few minutes.

Yep, main menu GUI is plagued with black level issues, they’re blown out & it’s butt ugly.

this is a real let down by WD.

I also, won’t update to the new firmware

I hope they gonna release a new firmware which will fix all these bugs soon.

Hi

A big thank you to the WD R&D engineers for fixing the S/P DIF validity flag bug. I am now getting sound using the Toslkink output into my Linn Majik DS-I; absolutely fantastic!

Bri :smiley:

You would be better off posting in this thread if you want WD to take any notice.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Firmware/New-Release-Firmware-Version-2-05-08-for-WD-TV-Live-Hub-4-12-11/td-p/170734

Hello WD!

The following bug  still exists! :cry: 

After switching the media center (complete separation from the power supply - power strip) the personal adjustment of video output (eg HDMI 1080p 24Hz) automatically reset to a default setting (720p 50Hz). Here in order to reconstruct the connected via HDMI LCD TV (Sony KDL-40NX705 / W). It’s certainly technically possible to maintain this personal setting permanent?

This bug exists since the following versions:

• 2.03.24 &

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Live-Hub-Ideas/WD-TV-Live-Hub-Fehlermeldung-FW-2-03-24/idi-p/130020

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Firmware/Firmware-Bug-2-04-13-WD-TV-Live-Hub/td-p/168666

This bug  was not corrected? Why?

I’m really angry!

Hi Folks

SMB NAS access - WD TV Hub reports ‘no storage present’

My WD Hub is very new (and thus I’m not yet totally fmiliar with it) and I’m delighted that the S/P DIF validity flaf bug has been fixed in this new FW, but I wonder if I’ve maybe chanced upon another problem (or whether it’s just me being unaware of something obvious). I’ve just tried to point the WD to a Qnap NAS share, and when I try ‘select content source’ then select ‘network share’ it immediately pops up a message stating ‘no storage present’ (whereas I’d have expected to see a list of all the available shares). I’ve tried rebooting my router, my NAS (Qnap TS-659) and factory resetting the WD TV Live Hub, but no matter what I do, when trying to connect to the NAS, the same message always appears. It’s odd as I access the NAS shares all the time using various other devices and have never had any problems. I should have tried this on the previous FW (but I didn’t) so unfortunately, I can’t say whether it actually worked before the update. I am pretty network knowledgable, but I can’t think of anything that could be causing this (and there aren’t that many settings in the WD hub to play with). Has anyone else had any issues like this?

Bri

PS Everything else is okay - I can access the WD from an XP box (using \WDTV) and on the WD, I can see Twonky on my Qnap - it’s just that I wish to now try SAMBA access instead of using Twonky on the Qnap (to see if that offers gapless audio playback).

Briain wrote:
Hi Folks

SMB NAS access - WD TV Hub reports ‘no storage present’

My WD Hub is very new (and thus I’m not yet totally fmiliar with it) and I’m delighted that the S/P DIF validity flaf bug has been fixed in this new FW, but I wonder if I’ve maybe chanced upon another problem (or whether it’s just me being unaware of something obvious). I’ve just tried to point the WD to a Qnap NAS share, and when I try ‘select content source’ then select ‘network share’ it immediately pops up a message stating ‘no storage present’ (whereas I’d have expected to see a list of all the available shares). I’ve tried rebooting my router, my NAS (Qnap TS-659) and factory resetting the WD TV Live Hub, but no matter what I do, when trying to connect to the NAS, the same message always appears. It’s odd as I access the NAS shares all the time using various other devices and have never had any problems. I should have tried this on the previous FW (but I didn’t) so unfortunately, I can’t say whether it actually worked before the update. I am pretty network knowledgable, but I can’t think of anything that could be causing this (and there aren’t that many settings in the WD hub to play with). Has anyone else had any issues like this?

Bri

PS Everything else is okay - I can access the WD from an XP box (using \WDTV) and on the WD, I can see Twonky on my Qnap - it’s just that I wish to now try SAMBA access instead of using Twonky on the Qnap (to see if that offers gapless audio playback).

Briain, I have a QNAP as well (running FW 3.4.1) and have had zero issues with it.    I set my QNAP to be the MASTER BROWSER.  Have you tried that?    If not, see if this tutorial for troubleshooting helps:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Networking/Troubleshooting-Windows-File-Sharing/m-p/92642#U92642

If  that doesn’t get you going, post again in your own thread and I’ll see if I can help.

Hi

Thanks very much for posting the confirmation that it works in your own setup, and yes, I did try setting the Q as master browser. I’ll look again tomorrow and see if I can figure out what’s up; it’s most odd! I still have a Netgear EVA8000 media player somewhere in my store room, so I’ll also dig that out tomorrow, factory reset it and check see if it can still see the shares (to verify if the Q has started misbehaving).

Bri

Update (fixed it):

Master browser functionality had failed in my Qnap. I stopped it, then started it, but that didn’t fix it. I then stopped it, rebooted he Qnap, started it, then rebooted the Qnap again; that fixed it! :slight_smile:

YUNOTROLL wrote:

Posts that sound something like this; “Still no [Deleted] suport for xx.yy.net files streamed from my homebrew linux mystery machine on a token ring network! [Deleted] WD you **bleep**!” are what’s bugging me. A lot of the features being “requested” are not going to be used by 99% of the WD TV community.

Well - lets be honest - a lot of the features requested are not going to be used by 100% of the users - B/C they will never get implemented anyway :slight_smile:

We’ve been voting for new features and great improvements in the ideas section for months now - and it feels like the WD developer team has not taken a single serious look at the suggestions !!

zballz,

Maybe we are asking too much ?!

No, folks tend to say that when THEIR ideas are not incorporated.   They ignore the ideas that actually ARE incorporated.

There are problems in this release with the “auto” resolution setting choosing the wrong option for what is supported on the television. 

The gui looks terrible now and is washed out. I really hope this isn’t going to be something we have to wait for another full release to get fixed.

Netflix blacks out every 30 seconds or so on any other setting but 1080 24p. My machine is hard wired and this isn’t a problem on any of the other netflix devices.

It’s disappointing that this was rolled out with some very obvious issues. Why mess with the brightness settings of the gui??

I just installed this firmware (it auto-updated via the internet).

Randomly, the device hangs when trying to play video off my network drive (Synlogic). It worked fine before the firmware upgrade. I haven’t figured out the pattern yet. It seems that if I disconnect the power, it works fine for a bit then hangs.

Is there a way to reinstall the firmware?

-Ken W