New Release - Firmware Version 2.04.13 for WD TV Live Hub (3/8/11)

richUK wrote:

dopalgangr wrote:

Reading that post will do nothing but make you madder as that person obviously doesn’t  know what they are talking about.  It WILL NOT allow you to do incremental updates.  It ONLY goes to the latest update.  I have tried and verified several times.  KNOW WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT BEFORE YOU GIVE ADVICE, IF NO YOUR NOT BETTER THE WD TECH SUPPORT.

Sorry about that but I am only a user trying to help YOU. I can definitely tell you that WD did do stepped firmware upgrades but its looks like that have stopped that now. What did you want me to do, try it out before I advised you. Perhaps you should also remember that we are all users doing our best to help others before you start ranting against me.

Did you get your netflix and pandora back when you downgraded to 2.02.19?

Your right my bad, I apologize :smiley:  I’m just so frustrated with this darn thing.  I got back the Pandora but it is missing the Netflix and I dont know if Blockbuster is supposed to be on there or not but it is not there either.   I called WD tech support and they advised to downgrade as well which didnt get the Netflix.  Funny thing about mine is that when I gave them the serial number they said it doesn’t show in their system and its wrong???   Mine also came with a 500gb drive instead of the 1 TB.  When I go to register it, it says its already registered??  Weird huh?

Where do you live?   

Several of the services were DELETED on international units because they aren’t supported outside the US anyway.

What is the MODEL NUMBER shown on the sticker?

What is the MODEL NUMBER showin in the “About MOCHI” screen?

Same with the SERIAL NUMBER on the sticker versus the About MOCHI screen?

I wasn’t aware they ever started shipping anything other than the 1TB versions, so maybe someone swapped a drive out and then returned the box.

I created this account specifically to post my experience with this upgrade on the forum in hopes that WDC tech staff reads it (along with the many others) and works towards correcting the bugs they’ve thrust upon us.

Upon upgrading, my WD TV Live Hub seems possessed. It turns off sporadically, it’s frozen a couple of times (requiring me to pull the plug out entirely), and, most annoying of all, the arrow keys on my remote control are temperamental. The left arrow key works only when it feels so inclined and the down arrow key stopped working entirely. (I’m certain this is not a problem with the remote control since the issues disappeared once I downgraded my firmware.)

And for those who do not know how to convince the WD TV Live Hub that the older firmware version is actually a new version, after unzipping the 3 files (from the v. 2.03.24 firmware link mentioned prior), open up the wdtvlivehub.ver file using a plain text ASCII editor (like Notepad) and change VERSION=‘2.03.24’ to VERSION=‘10.0.0’, save the file, and follow the downgrade instructions provided by WD. Once the downgrade is complete, totally ignore the yellow box that appears telling you to upgrade to this h*llspawned version.

Good luck to all those experiencing problems with this firmware version.

You are not alone, Thanks for confirming my findings which I have explained here 

FIRMWARE BUGS 2.04.13

WD if you are reading this post, Please consider fixing this problem ASAP or even better, To avoid disappointments and large scale customer dissatisfaction and  anger towards WD as the  WDTVLIVE hub keeps hanging at random.

My sincere advise to WD would be — Please remove the new firmware  2.04.13 from the website immediately.

This is really strange. I bought mine on Saturday, and upgraded the firmware as soon as it was plugged in for the first time. I’ve had no lockups or problems whatsoever in terms of general usage (although it reset when changing Tune-In stations before it had buffered the prior one).

I not have Hangs but the Randomdrops to the Dash are more often, also it this happens the Hub loose teh Network eg says can’t connect because source is vanished, so only going back, selecting the SOurce again and reconnect helps.

These Drops happened before this Update, but not so often like now, so perhaps these Dropouts causes Hangs for some Users while others like me are just landing in the Dash and must reconnect then?

These Drops also never happens while playing a Video, but happens anywhere else while using the Remote to move the Cursor, dunno if these are connected somehow to the hangs, but could be, however its a Bug.

Dear WD hub software team.

Is says in realease notes: “Resolved problem where high sample rate audio was being downsampled to 48KHz.”

This is a BIG DEAL!!.. i was very happy to read this… The Thing is…    IT STILL DOWNSAMPLES according to my NAD reviever.   When playing 24/96k flac and wav it still feeds my reciever with a 48k PCM signal!!

So it seems this is not resolved after all? 

Signal is sent via HDMI to my NAD t747 reciever capable of recieving 24/96 PCM signal.  

Please respond to this request.

Johannes

Out of Interest

The last firmware 2.03.24 can now be downloaded from the rollback page. It was missing but WD have reinstated the link. It means that if you download the firmware from this page there is no editing of the ver file as WD have already done it. You can just download and rollback.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5860 

Direct link to rollback firmware.

http://download.wdc.com/wdtv/LiveHub2_03_24_Rollback.zip 

If you do rollback don’t forget that you can turn off the ‘auto update notification’ so that you don’t keep getting the annoying new firmware message. This ability was introduced in firmware 2.03.24

Hi all,

I might be onto something. I own two of this Live hubs (both: WDBACA0010BBK-EESN). Both has latest firmware and OsModLive 1.0 theme. The content of both drives is synchronized (identical).

My parents Hub (HubB) was crashing constantly. I have downgraded the firmware to 2.02.19 and 2.03.24 with vague results. It was better for a while (a day), but then the rebooting started again. I took my hub (HubA) which was working reasonably fine to their place and connected it to their TV set and HubA crashed immediately after the boot. On the other side HubB was working fine on my TV.

So I have figured that it must be the combination of the hub with TV and/or HDMI cable. I have also switched the HDMI cables, with same result (crashing at my parents place and working at my). It must be the TV set I have figured then. But the funny thing is that TV sets are almost identical (they have the same firmware and almost the same electronics).

I have Philips 40PFL5625H/12 and my parents have 32PFL5605H/12. The TV sets are (obviously) different in size, but they have same firmware (it means that they are quite similar). The difference might be in the settings of EasyLink (HDMI handshake protocol) on both TV sets, but I will have to check it more in details later in the evening today.

What does WD staff feels? Does this difference might mean something?

@xistence: my denon avr 4308 shows me 96kHz input signal with a correct file.

my guess is, the file isn’t really 96kHz.

Argus wrote:

Hi all,

I might be onto something. I own two of this Live hubs (both: WDBACA0010BBK-EESN). Both has latest firmware and OsModLive 1.0 theme. The content of both drives is synchronized (identical).

My parents Hub (HubB) was crashing constantly. I have downgraded the firmware to 2.02.19 and 2.03.24 with vague results. It was better for a while (a day), but then the rebooting started again. I took my hub (HubA) which was working reasonably fine to their place and connected it to their TV set and HubA crashed immediately after the boot. On the other side HubB was working fine on my TV.

So I have figured that it must be the combination of the hub with TV and/or HDMI cable. I have also switched the HDMI cables, with same result (crashing at my parents place and working at my). It must be the TV set I have figured then. But the funny thing is that TV sets are almost identical (they have the same firmware and almost the same electronics).

I have Philips 40PFL5625H/12 and my parents have 32PFL5605H/12. The TV sets are (obviously) different in size, but they have same firmware (it means that they are quite similar). The difference might be in the settings of EasyLink (HDMI handshake protocol) on both TV sets, but I will have to check it more in details later in the evening today.

Have you tried it with a composite lead to narrow it down directly to the HDMI.

1 Like

richUK wrote:

Argus wrote:

Hi all,

Have you tried it with a composite lead to narrow it down directly to the HDMI.

Update: Today I have tried again. Experiment results are:

1.) HubA and HubB works ok on my TV set (40PFL5625)

2.) HubB (the one with currently installed firmware 2.03.24) crashes on TV set B (set of my parents) but HubA works ok. This was not the case yesterday when both hubs were crashing repetedly. It crashes even before it finishes the boot cycle, but not always at the same time (sometimes during “loading Mochi” sometimes during "compiling media library). 

3.) I have left HubA at my parents’ house and took their (HubB) with me. It works ok on my TV now for more than an hour.

Since I can not reproduce the errors from yesterday and before I believe I am on square one again. I am sorry I have tought that I might help a bit, but it seems that I can’t.

@richUK: sorry but I don’t have composite cables around the house for years now. However HubB does not crashes if it is not connected to TV.

Another bothering hitch with crashing is that after a few crashes (lets say 3 to 5) hub tend to have problems with booting up. The sound of starting the hard drive is heard, but it is just stuttering as it tries to start again and again. Leaving the hub disconnected for a while corrects the problem and then hub starts normally.

Jesus…i thought firmware updates are supposed to fix issues and introduce new features sometimes…I’ve been reading nothing but disaster stories with the last 2 updates. I haven’t updated the firmware since getting the box as an xmas present for someone in Dec. '10 and don’t plan on it anytime soon.

What’s the deal?

vice86 wrote:

Jesus…i thought firmware updates are supposed to fix issues and introduce new features sometimes…I’ve been reading nothing but disaster stories with the last 2 updates. I haven’t updated the firmware since getting the box as an xmas present for someone in Dec. '10 and don’t plan on it anytime soon.

What’s the deal?

It unfortunately happens that fixing one problem sometimes creates a new, this happens with a lot of devices, games & apps - Welcome to the beta testing world :smileyvery-happy:

No idea why my original post was blank, but here goes.

I was going to say that this is no BETA, it’s the BETA version that became the official release shortly after the BETA was put up for use, so no idea how it went official so quick as it clearly has issues and I’ve experienced a lot of them first hand. Got my Live Hub about 2 months ago and it was great until now.

Surely new features added are not that hard to QA test. It’'s not like the issues crop up after extended use. If I go into Flingo I can stream about 2 videos before it becomes totally unresponsive and I have to hard reset the device. Sometimes I go in, exit directly out and then when I go back in it takes about 5 mins to load with the progress bar moving ever so slowly.

I’ve put a lot of effort into the content I’ve uploaded and scrubbed for media info and when I see some of the other issues, I get worried. Sure I can take it back under warranty, but what happens to the 1TB of data I’ve uploaded and the time it took to sync it on. It’s not the quickest network device and even syncing on USB, it’s time consuming.

Please WD, test these releases thouroughly before release. I assume any liability installing BETA firmware, but this is not BETA.

It unfortunately happens that fixing one problem sometimes creates a new, this happens with a lot of devices, games & apps - Welcome to the beta testing world :smileyvery-happy:

Except that this is not a beta release.

1 Like

Used Flingo for the first time to-day!!!

Awesome addon!!!

1 Like

Sc00ter wrote:> * * *

This is a beta release that just was renamed to final without changing a single bit :wink:

1 Like

Frillen wrote:

This is a beta release that just was renamed to final without changing a single bit :wink:

And therein lies the problem, folks.  These problems were either not reported during the beta period (seems unlikely) or they were ignored. 

ram1009 wrote:

Frillen wrote:

And therein lies the problem, folks.  These problems were either not reported during the beta period (seems unlikely) or they were ignored. 

How long lasted this so-called beta period?