New Release - Firmware Version 1.13.18 for WD TV Live Streaming Media Player (1/24/13)

rahulrav wrote:

Hi,

i own a WD TV HD Media Player…but i dint get any update since 1.01.77…please let me know wether there will be a realse for my version aswel…

No.  The WDTV HD is long-since End of Life.  

I even wonder how long WD will keep supporting the Live Streaming (3rd Gen) now that WD TV Play is out. Amazon has stopped selling it. I hope we get a couple more firmware updates, but it wouldn’t surprise me if we don’t get any more.

Strider_Nemesis wrote:

I even wonder how long WD will keep supporting the Live Streaming (3rd Gen) now that WD TV Play is out. Amazon has stopped selling it. I hope we get a couple more firmware updates, but it wouldn’t surprise me if we don’t get any more.

Amazon is most definitly still selling it in US. In stock for $99.99

Strider_Nemesis wrote:

When you say Amazon I assume you just mean that the company Amazon are no longer selling it, as it is still on the Amazon USA website sold by another company. The Play is a completely different player based around apps rather than media. In the UK (where we don’t get the Play yet?) Amazon are still selling it.

Braumeister wrote:

Strider_Nemesis wrote:

Amazon is most definitly still selling it in US. In stock for $99.99

Amazon is no longer selling it (they never even sold it for $99.99; it was cheaper). Only third-party sellers through Amazon’s website are selling it. As soon as the Play arrived, Amazon stopped selling the Live Streaming. Is it a coincidence?

I bought a WD TV yesterday and upgraded the Firmware to the latest version (Frimware version 1.13.18).  After watching the first Netflix show on the device, I am now unable to watch any shows from Netflix.  The unit hangs on the loading screen of any Netflix show.

I have tried powering down the unit and starting it back up, but Netflix still hangs when trying to watch any show.

A simple Google search of “wd tv netflix hangs” shows that WD doesn’t know how to fix this issue yet.  There are a ton of comments on this very same issue.

Can the next Firmware update address the Netflix issue?

Strider_Nemesis wrote:

Play isn’t a replacement to the WD TV SMP, it is a cheaper alternative that doesn’t offer the same features. This could mean a higher end version of the play might come out in the future but it could also represent a change in direction for WD and a simplication of there product lines, I also suspect a lot of the trouble of WD drvices comes from there higher features.

Embattle wrote:

Strider_Nemesis wrote:

Play isn’t a replacement to the WD TV SMP, it is a cheaper alternative that doesn’t offer the same features. This could mean a higher end version of the play might come out in the future but it could also represent a change in direction for WD and a simplication of there product lines, I also suspect a lot of the trouble of WD drvices comes from there higher features.

Of course it isn’t a replacement. Nobody stated otherwise. But that doesn’t mean that, like you said, WD could not take another direction.

What about Hebrew subtitles???

Steel doesn’t display correctly…

I guess the problem is for every RTL language.

Strider_Nemesis wrote:

Of course it isn’t a replacement. Nobody stated otherwise. But that doesn’t mean that, like you said, WD could not take another direction.

What I want is a box that does all the Internet TV stuff (I like the Samsung Smart TVs where you can download new addons when a new channel or service comes out) plus all the local connectivity of the WD TV Live. I guess that first need would go away were I to I bite the bullet and spring for a new TV, but current finances do not permit.

Strider_Nemesis wrote:

Embattle wrote:

Strider_Nemesis wrote:

To me it seemed it was implied with your comment.

Topic closed due to new release.