New Release - Firmware Version 1.13.18 for WD TV Live Streaming Media Player (1/24/13)

I changed my old CRT TV to a new LCD TV and now I have -200ms out of sync _optical_ audio output using a receiver/amp.

TVs take time to process image, so TV image is out of sync with WDTV _optical_ sound output connected to a external receiver/amp.

We need a global Lip Sync adjustment available, that is permanently saved.

Not like current lip sync setting per file, that is not saved and needs to be setup every time a new video plays.

Imagine setup lip lync everytime you play a file

This problem was already reported, please vote here:

Audio out of sync when connected via optical out

Agreed - having been several resets and firmware upgrade processes with this version I have the same issue - TV shows not ordered correctly in folders view.At least the rest is stable now but this fix was my main reason for upgrading.

I opened an issue page for youtube videos fast forward issue here:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Issue/ISSUE-1-13-18-Youtube-videos-fast-forward-doens-t-work/idi-p/539719

I have explained hereĀ  http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Discussions/ISSUE-1-13-18-Youtube-videos-fast-forward-doens-t-work/m-p/539720#M17893, i faced out the problem in 4 wdtv live streaming devices and not only mine.

TV show sorting is the one feature I upgraded for too. Itā€™s a pain in the neck to change the sorting everytime, and the other people in my household arenā€™t tech savvy enough to figure this out so if I display the TV shows in the correct order, they canā€™t find my Movies folder. I could rename all my shows by adding a zero, but thereā€™s so many and Iā€™m lazy.

squidwardbob wrote:

In my situation, I am streaming .wtv TV Show files recorded from my Win7 MC PC to the Pi.  Works just fine!  I have no idea about the items you listed.  

Try my situation on the WD boxā€¦  I first had to convert the files to dvr-ms, then try firmware after firmware version until I found one where they played half-correctly.  That version was 1.11.14 I think and that version is missing the jump to time feature which seems to have been dropped on that version.  FFwd is a **bleep** shoot, often overshooting what is displayed on-screen.  What a hassle.

________________________________________________________________________________________

Yeah, I had brought up on the 1.12.14 thread that that firmware had messed up dvr-ms playback.  The new firmware makes it even worse.  Itā€™s stupid anyways, we should be able to play .wtv files without the hassle of converting them.   

I upgraded to this new firmware to fix the TV show ordering, what a big mistake. I had restored my SMP to factory settings before updating, as I noticed quite a lot of people complaining about a few errors.Ā 

Everything ran smoothly, I was watching MKVā€™s and AVIā€™s with no issues, the TV show ordering had not been fixed, even after clearing out all the XML files from the hard drive.

After a day or so the box crashed while watching an AVI, I had to power down and reboot it, after it booted back up, it couldnā€™t find my WD Elements 2TB HDD. After restoring the WDTV again, it did, eventually locate the HDD, but it would only find movies and TV shows that had been downloaded that day,

Managed to roll back to the previous firmware, rebuilt the entire database from scratch again, pretty much ruined the weekend for me. I donā€™t advise anyone upgrading to this firmware.Ā 

WDTV is a great device, it does plow throught any format with ease, Itā€™s just the software, total garbage, Iā€™m still puzzled why they canā€™t fix the TV show ordering.Ā 

What in the name of the tiny baby Jebus are the tech guys at WD doing to our litle device that can.Over the last couple of months I have

lost iPlayer (pre 1.13.18 & still not fixed)

had to rediscover network shares on an almost daily basis (pre 1.13.18 & still not fixed)

had .avi files hang at egg timer indefinately (post 1.13.18)

and last night had the box power on but not display a signal to the attached hdtv (resolved by pulling the power)

Is it too much to ask that you do some bloody testing before pushing out these useless excuses for updates.

I purchased this above other media players because once configured the less tech savvy in my household were able to carry on and use it without my assistance and over the last few months this has very much not been the case.

Please get your act together and give us back our devices.

1 Like

What a load of bollocks Kudos my arsh ā€¦ is there an anti kudos Grrrrrr

I bought this due to all the great praise ease of use & setup so that the less savvy in house can switch on & watchā€¦ biggest mistake ever.

I finally took the plunge & powered up the WD live as since 3 firmware updates ago it became unusable ā€¦ so checking the netĀ  WD proudly say they have released this new "It will fix all your woes " firmware ā€¦ Right.

Used the auto update everything went smooth ā€¦ Bloody **bleep** They might have fixed it ā€¦ went to reboot an guess whatā€¦

Its stuck at the WD start-up screen lovely pic of night sky but no bloody media player ā€¦ cant turn off via remote , tried taking power cord out & waiting did this a few times & nothing ā€¦Nada ā€¦ Its a brick.

Can anyone advise if Iā€™m doing something wrong or is there some secret handshake ceremony with live salmon an crystalsĀ  that has to be preformed firstā€¦

PLEASE HELPā€¦

I promised grandson we would watch a movie an seems Iā€™ve let him down ā€¦ Thanks WD for nothing.

It seems WD donā€™t care or take any responsibility for their inept destructive updates.

1 Like

Mortis58 wrote:

What a load of bollocks Kudos my arsh ā€¦ is there an anti kudos Grrrrrr

I bought this due to all the great praise ease of use & setup so that the less savvy in house can switch on & watchā€¦ biggest mistake ever.

I finally took the plunge & powered up the WD live as since 3 firmware updates ago it became unusable ā€¦ so checking the net  WD proudly say they have released this new "It will fix all your woes " firmware ā€¦ Right.

Used the auto update everything went smooth ā€¦ Bloody **bleep** They might have fixed it ā€¦ went to reboot an guess whatā€¦

Its stuck at the WD start-up screen lovely pic of night sky but no bloody media player ā€¦ cant turn off via remote , tried taking power cord out & waiting did this a few times & nothing ā€¦Nada ā€¦ Its a brick.

Can anyone advise if Iā€™m doing something wrong or is there some secret handshake ceremony with live salmon an crystals  that has to be preformed firstā€¦

PLEASE HELPā€¦

I promised grandson we would watch a movie an seems Iā€™ve let him down ā€¦ Thanks WD for nothing.

It seems WD donā€™t care or take any responsibility for their inept destructive updates.

You might try this reset procedure.

If you can get it to boot again, you might try installing firmware 1.12.14. I had good luck with that release.

martinmarty wrote:

You might try this reset procedure.

If you can get it to boot again, you might try installing firmware 1.12.14. I had good luck with that release.

Thank you martinmarty for your help,

I tried the hard reset on bottom of brick & it started went to the menu Success one would thinkā€¦ NO its a WD device which leads you into a false sense of accomplishment then kicks you in the head.

It did not see any media ie: WiFi (couldnā€™t find network as Im using a wifi phone right next to it) no USB or any media files .

It froze then when I went to reboot it just freezes at the WD logo if it starts at all.

have changed power packs ā€¦ no avail.

Im starting to collect WD dross as I in int & ext drives that last 1 month out of warranty  have tried 1 of each item except int drive as bought 4 in one go due to the recommendations all have failed within 18 months yet the el cheapo Samsung has been going for nigh on 5 years ā€¦ Flawlesslyā€¦ ok will stop ranting my displeasure at WD dross now.

I have also had troulbe with this ā€œupgradeā€. Hereā€™s a link with instructions on how to roll back the firmware:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5860

The last version that works for me (mostly playing recorded tv shows in .dvr-ms format) is 1.11.14. Best of luck.

Hi,

I have just bought this player with great expectations, registered on line and updated to 1-13-18. It all works well except that pans and zooms are horribly jerky, the motion pulses rather than jumps. Where there are close lines as in grill there is a rythmic pulsing taking place. This happens when playing any file from a hard drive or memory stick. In both front or back inputs.

I hope I have bought a good product. It seems to excellent otherwise.

Have I set itĀ  up wrongly, or it this a software issue be to solved soon?

Alan

Have you tried Setup > Audio/Video Output > Video Output > HDMI > Auto > Auto > Match video framerate On?

Hi Techflaws,

Thanks for your suggestion. Yes it is set to Auto and thinking about it the video appears to vary the frame rate in a pulsing manner. So I set it to 1080i 50hz and this seems to have solved the problem.

I hope WD solve this problem soon as it should work straight out of the box.

Thanks Alan.

@Alaznplayer

I think it is your tv which is giving the problems, I donā€™t have this problem with this firmware on all my wd mediaplayer devices.

Thanks for the idea that itā€™s the TV. What I have found is that if I switch the WD box off for any length of time it reverts to a 60hz format. It does not keep the resolution I have set it to. I donā€™t quite see how that can be a TV problem, its a fairly newĀ  SONY. Iā€™m in the UK so we are on PAL which is 50hz. Can you explain why it might be the TV?

Thanks Alan

The WDTV should remember the setting used (Auto, 50hz or whatever) even after a powercycle. Are you sure, itā€™s not? Concerning your TV, you might wanna check out itā€™s edid info.

Alanzplayer wrote:

Thanks for the idea that itā€™s the TV. What I have found is that if I switch the WD box off for any length of time it reverts to a 60hz format. It does not keep the resolution I have set it to. I donā€™t quite see how that can be a TV problem, its a fairly new  SONY. Iā€™m in the UK so we are on PAL which is 50hz. Can you explain why it might be the TV?

Thanks Alan

Alan, we have alteady a topic about this issue here.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Discussions/24p-playback-issues/td-p/536700

and thereā€™s a report here

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Issue/Dropped-duplicate-frames-during-playback-of-MKV-files-at-24Hz/idi-p/541420

Thereā€™s no problem with your TV, it is the SMP. I never had issues up until about a month ago and my TV supports 24p without any issues. If your TVā€™s specs list 24p playback, do not bother checking your TV. For almost a year, I had smooth playback in most files. Now, it is horrible.

I just bought a reburbed unit and it was real glitchy on the WIFI network so I decided to update the firmware to the current version (holding my breath). After the install my network streams are better if not perfect and I have had no other issues to report yet. This unit is still new to me so I hope that I have no other issues but so far so good from what I have seen.

Hi,

i own a WD TV HD Media Playerā€¦but i dint get any update since 1.01.77ā€¦please let me know wether there will be a realse for my version aswelā€¦