New Release - Firmware Version 1.12.14 for WD TV Live Streaming Media Player (10/29/12)

For a long time now I have tried to get this device to work with NFS.  I have a synology NAS and have tried every combination of settings possible.  Other devices work with my synology NFS share no problem.  After reading the changelog for this firmware I was excited to see a fix for the exact issue I was having.  But I was shot down when I tried to add an NFS share it locks up when trying to open it, requiring me to unplug the power cable.  So I still have to use SMB which isn’t so bad but I would like to experience NFS shares on this device.

I did reset the device and now able to go back to old version. However, the performance is still poor and the device doesnt responds to remote while building library.

The first gen devices used to have superb performance in navigational experience…now its all gone…

They didn’t have a media library like the SMP.  You can turn off the feature if you don’t want It…

I’m unable to detect my usb 3.0 1tb buffalo external hard drive with this firmware update. Any help much appreciated. Thanks

Is it plugged in at the front or back USB port? People have been reporting problems using the back port, just search the forum.

I plugged in my Seagate Expansion 3TB USB External that I bought today to the back port, and it instantly detected it fine.

Ever since I downloaded this firmware (prompted by the device while in main menu), the experience has been horrible.  I have an external USB drive that worked fantastically with the previous firmware.  On this one, from cold boot, or when removing and reattaching the drive, it will hang for multiple minutes, sometimes as long as 10 minutes, before anything happens.  This will also happen when trying to connect to an SMB share.  It wouldn’t be a huge deal, but it will, maybe 1 in 10 tries, when choosing the “Network Share” option, then “Windows Share”, the menu won’t show my SMB shares, it just offers the “Windows Share” option again.  The only way to fix this is to pull the power out, plug back in, and wait 10+ minutes while the **bleep** thing does whatever it does while sitting at the main screen all hung up.  Definitely not playing media, like its name suggests it does.  Maybe we should call it the WD TV Live “Go Make a Sandwich While I Sit and Spin”, or the WD TV Live “2-year-old Child Angerer”.  That’s what it’s been mostly doing in my house lately.

Back to 1.11.whatever. 

Six weeks and no words from WD. Has this device been abandoned for good?

Nope.  Not yet.  They are working on the next release.

They won’t EVER fix the DLNA issue with live streams. 

Bill_S wrote:

Nope.  Not yet.  They are working on the next release.

Thanks. :slight_smile:

Well, 1.11.something does everything that I want it to, and not much I don’t.  The only thing is that every time I turn it on it starts on the “New Firmware” selection.  I have dubbed this the “No-no button” in my household.  “Don’t push the no-no button!”

heltoupee wrote:

Well, 1.11.something does everything that I want it to, and not much I don’t.  The only thing is that every time I turn it on it starts on the “New Firmware” selection.  I have dubbed this the “No-no button” in my household.  “Don’t push the no-no button!”

In the system settings you can turn “Auto Detect New Firmware” to off.

markinuk wrote:

In the system settings you can turn “Auto Detect New Firmware” to off.

I will check that out!  Thank you.  No more no-no button!

I downloaded the latest firmware and now my WD TV Live no longer finds my WD My Book 3TB drive.  The drive is plugged in directly to the USB port.  When the media player starts up, lights on both the player and the drive blink as if they’re syncing/mounting.  However, once the blinking stops, when I go to files or videos, I get the “previous content was removed” message.  I then try to select local storage and get the “local storage not found” message.

Both USB ports were tried (front and back).  Same issue using either.

Another USB drive, a 250gb HP SmartSave, works just fine with the media player.

Desktop computer recognizes the 3TB drive with no issues.

Any thoughts besides FW rollback?  Also, should I try deleting .wd.tv folder that is created on the HDD?

Factory reset the firmware and download and install the update from usb.

Also make sure you turn on linux shares in network settings.

Also del the wd folder and letting it refind everything wont hurt since updates can sometimes mess things up.

WD, seriously, WHAT are you doing??? The previous FW crashed in 100% of the cases when I tried to delete folders from my NFS share on my NAS and now withe latest FW I cannot even watch MKV’s anymore via DLNA nor NFS as it will just drop back to the menu…

Should the SW not becae better instead of imtroducing serious REGRESSIONS?  :angry:

Steggl wrote:

now withe latest FW I cannot even watch MKV’s anymore via DLNA nor NFS as it will just drop back to the menu…

Haven’t seen THAT before…  99% of my media are MKVs.  Haven’t had a single instance of that.

**bleep** i have found a stupid problem.

I play music throug my WD live.

The WD live is connectet to a reciver with HDMI and i have one HDMI to my tv.

When “Match framrate” is set to “on” and i play music and turn off my tv (to save power) music stops.

When off all works.

WD please fix!

Sounds like somthing to do with HDMI CEC  (Page 176)  in the User Manual

“Match Framerate” applies to “VIDEOS” … can’t see how that has anything to do with playing “Audio Files”

Have you tried turning HDMI CEC  " OFF" ?