New Release - Firmware Version 1.12.14 for WD TV Live Streaming Media Player (10/29/12)

For all unbelievers :wink:

I recorded the Lockout clip with my Panasonic Lumix cam, as MP4 from my TV.

You see the stutter at approximately 60 seconds. After Guy Pearce was hit by the punch

and lift his head up.

http://www.mediafire.com/?909ct381ckf02wb

ghelyar wrote:

mark2410 wrote:

Techflaws wrote:

Broken how? MKVs still work here on 1.12.14.

they simply wont play, they just tell me that the format is not supoorted and to go look at the user manual.  i dont know whats going on.  having downgraded to firmware to 1.10 and i still have that WD offers thing too.

It should be noted that MKV is only a container format. Unlike most container formats, it can contain just about any codec for your audio/video streams.

Just because a player can open the MKV container format, it does not necessarily mean that it can decode the streams inside them. This means that some may play while others may not.

oh i was using the same file, just copied to a usb drive pluged it in then it worked.  the same file would not ovor the network.

just rolled back the firmware and then a reset and it went back to working.

My System is keeps on locking up,

watching MKV, MP4 or AVI.

randomly. it locked up every time I played the movie first time, then I have to hard reset the machine. then it will play again.

15 min later then it would just locked up again. UGH!!!

can you fix this firmware.

I have also picked up 2 issues in regards to the latest firmware.

Setup Information:

WD Live and WD TV Live Hub connected via wired network with Live Hub also sharing a USB drive. WD TV Live always gets data from Live Hub via Network Share or Media Center menus

1.  With previous firmware we used the Network share menu due to folders showing thumbnails for the kids to select what they want to watch. Since update you can still browse the folders but as soon as you click to play it just hangs. 

Media Center menu without thumbnail still works perfectly.

1. Seems ISO images is not being picked up anymore in menus, directories not even showing.

Babydoll32 wrote:

For all unbelievers

It’s not a matter of believe but of not being able to reproduce this. Now that we shared clips, I can see that your TV shows stutter while mine doesn’t, so I’m currently betting on incompatibility issues between your TV and the WDTV. Maybe the handshake does not work properly or something. OTOTH, rob77 owns an LG while you a Panasonic. Still

Have downloaded the Lockout and the German clip and tried them, I can clearly see the stutter on the clips and they are completely different stutters between the two clips, at home I don’t get any stutter with my 24p rips.

Techflaws suggestion must be along the right lines?

The new update still has problems with the media libary. I have to restart WD live before it can see my folders on my pc. But i think it is better now.

But now when you fast forward x16 in mkv files it jumps.

I’ve updated my post.

markinuk wrote:

Question is: how should WD go about and fix this? I mean, they can’t possibly buy every TV reported to be problematic, just to test whether the incompatibility is caused by the player or the TV.

Techflaws wrote:

Babydoll32 wrote:

For all unbelievers

It’s not a matter of believe but of not being able to reproduce this. Now that we shared clips, I can see that your TV shows stutter while mine doesn’t, so I’m currently betting on incompatibility issues between your TV and the WDTV. Maybe the handshake does not work properly or something. OTOTH, rob77 owns an LG while you a Panasonic. Still

> Mines a > * * *

Techflaws wrote:

Babydoll32 wrote:

For all unbelievers

• *Mines a Samsung LCD. 

Even weirder cause Samsung works for me.

Techflaws wrote:

markinuk wrote:

Question is: how should WD go about and fix this? I mean, they can’t possibly buy every TV reported to be problematic, just to test whether the incompatibility is caused by the player or the TV.

A task which is never going to happen, especially when you see companies having their own in-house equipment being sent out with incompatibility problems, WD is one of them regarding the Media Library can only be used on one unit over a network, or a while back, shipping out some NTFS formatted USB drives which were not compatible out of the box with their Media Players.

I guess it will stay as it is, if two things do not work together you might be lucky and it will get fixed, or one company will blame the other companies product and nothing is ever done about a fix.

I bought a new WDTV live last week (moved from Boxee). The moment i configured the device, it has prompted me to update to new firmware and I did that.

Guess what, I was presented a terribly slow experience through out the interfaces. Just to move to another option on the main screen it is taking 3 secs-5 secs. I have used WD TV 1st and 2nd gen devices but had never experienced such as bad User experience. coming from Boxee, I had to regret why i bought it at all.

I suspect the new firmware could be one reason
but not sure.

Currently it is scanning the HDDs forever and still shows me a message “no local storage”. I have idea what to do with this box now

How can i go back to old firmware?

Sudhakar

Have you tried resetting the player to factory defaults.

I just updated and my SMP is no longer showing any files in My Media Library. I am using a unRaid NAS via SMB as the source. I can still access via standard “Network Share” mode, but when Media Library is my Video source, i get the no content error. I have tried toggling Media Library on and off via the Operations menu with no luck. Anyone else having this issue or know of a fix? I can still use the player via the Network Share source, but will no longer be able to Get Content Info until this is resolved.

VelcroBP wrote:

I just updated and my SMP is no longer showing any files in My Media Library. I am using a unRaid NAS via SMB as the source. I can still access via standard “Network Share” mode, but when Media Library is my Video source, i get the no content error. I have tried toggling Media Library on and off via the Operations menu with no luck. Anyone else having this issue or know of a fix? I can still use the player via the Network Share source, but will no longer be able to Get Content Info until this is resolved.

After removing all my shares and re-adding, then clearing the Media Library, my SMP is now on hour 11 of a recompile?? I guess the next step is resetting to defaults?

VelcroBP wrote:

VelcroBP wrote:

After removing all my shares and re-adding, then clearing the Media Library, my SMP is now on hour 11 of a recompile?? I guess the next step is resetting to defaults?

RESOLVED:  This turned out to be an issue with my unRaid server. Apparently it was bugging out due to a plugin (S.N.A.P.) and thought an external drive was still connected and attempting to read it during the compile. This must have been causing the WD to hang up and freak out. After rebooting the server and verifying that the issue was cleared, I restarted my SMP and it completed the recompile in the typical few minutes and all is well.

Hi ,

Yes, I did reset the device. However i found that it is resetting only the settings but not the firmware. It is not going back to the old firmware that has come part of the device.

my family members are now extremely pissed off with this device as they enjoyed boxee a lot for last 2 years
I love this device and but not able to correct it :frowning:

Sudhakar

Firmware isn’t changed when you do a reset.  If you want to go back, you have to do it manually.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5860/

I recently upgraded to 1.12.14 (from 1.11.14) and ran into a big problem.

On at least AVI files, resume, and skip to specific time no longer works!!! Both end up with the video being played back fast forwarded with the ‘hourly-glass’ circle in the middle non stop, the only way out is to press stop! This is playing back on a network share.

This is a show stopper. How does something so obviously broken get past QA?

I resetted the device before the upgrade, and resetted the device after upgrade, as I always do. I tried power cycle the device but it’s the same behavior.