New Release - Firmware Version 1.07.15 for WD TV Live Streaming Media Player (2/29/12)

Moor208 wrote:

Actually, it was 22 insignificante issues fixed.  If they would just give us the fixes we wanted, everything would be fine. 

Yeah.   It was several of the top ten issues.

I was wondering if the problems associated with using multiple SMP’s  working off a NAS were fixed with this last update.

The problem I am referring to is where each corrupts the other’s databases.

As referenced here    http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Issue/Two-or-more-Hubs-or-SMPs-will-cause-Media-Library-Corruption-on/idi-p/296230

Thanks in advance.

Hello,
I have a WDTV live3 to connect with an optical cable on an amplifier 5.1 Denon AVR-1800. all functions very well with the update 1.04.12.
With Version 1.07.15 or version 1.06.04, the sound in DTS or AC3 does not function any more on the amplifier Denon AVR-1800.
I am obliged to return in version 1.04.12.
I am afraid to more be able to make of update without losing the DTS and AC3 on my Denon amplifier.

You probably just have to activate both functions again in the set-up. Did you try that already?

Hi There, can you explain how you did it?, did you use any specific type of USB?, i followed instructions provided and the firmware icon does not appear… do i need to do anything with the system settings?, anything with the wire/wifi connection… can you provide details of how you managed to roll back?, i am getting crazy, thanks very much in advance

For me, this new release is far worse than previous versions.  After viewing every file, I get “media no longer available” or when starting to view a new file I get “fatal system error”.  I now have to reboot the box after EVERY thing I view.  This is ridiculous!  My media library consists of one external drive and a shared folder on my Windows 7 desktop computer (which is always on and has r/w privilege).  But it doesn’t matter which source is being used for playing, I still end up having to reboot the WDTV after every viewing.

I will roll back to the previous version, at least I only had to reboot after every 2 or 3 viewings and it only lost my external drive if it was plugged into the rear USB.

Why can’t WD seem to get a firmware that actually works?  Does anybody beta test these things before they’ve shoved out on us?

I have a similar problem.
Dolby digital, dts & ac3 work fine in 1.14.12.
Anything after that firmware Dolby digital seizes to work but dts and ac3 work fine!
I’ve tried so many times to resolve this but have failed :frowning:

Dolby Digital and AC3 are the same thing.

Strider_Nemesis wrote:

Bill_S wrote:
What if it’s just that we’re being required to close up all the holes we may have had in our firmware. Every business seeks to get rid of all of its stock. Do you really think making this change is going to help us do that?

I agree that every business seeks to get rid of all its stock, but the problem here is that the obsolete Latin American unit isn’t even available in the countries north of South America, via offline or online retailers. I’ve never been able to find one in Mexico, and I know of a few people who haven’t been able to in other cities within the country or outside the country. That’s why I think this is nonsense from WDC, in case wanting to get rid of the obsolete stock is the reason behind this change.

Of course, I’m just speculating here , and I’m no expert in the subject. I’m just expressing my feeling. I’m not mad or anything, as WDC hasn’t broken any promises. They were very clear by saying that Netflix is only supported in Brazil within Latin America; however, if it works natively (i.e., no VPN, proxy, etc.) outside of Brazil too, I don’t think that it is wise to block it just because.

Something curious: if you use a Mexican proxy to get into the Mexican Netflix website, and then click on the link at the bottom to view the supported devices, you’ll notice that if you hover over the “Other Players” section, the WD logo will appear, and if you click on it, it’ll redirect you to the SMP’s product website, not the Latin American player’s website. I guess Netflix Mexico is about to get a lot of heat from its subscribers for this once they install the newest firmware.

I agree with you.  This is a confusing issue, and we are looking into it.  I can’t make any promises, but I know we are working with Netflix about some of this.

montofk wrote:

What was the solution for error 502? I’ve been getting it all evening.

I’ve spent most of the last week between this forum on the lap top and the various set up screens on TV. For different reasons, but the novelty wearing thin now for my new gadget. :( 

We are definitely looking into this error issue.

1 Like

Techflaws wrote:

Bill_S wrote:

I don’t mean to argue with you, but what does adding a service have to do with whether an issue gets fixed?

It’s rather obvious, isn’t it? By investing time into adding features, this time is lost and can’t be used to fix bugs. It’s kinda strange to see WD apparently think that a device not working as advertized is gonna be well received.

Bill_S wrote:

What if it’s just that we’re being required to close up all the holes we may have had in our firmware.

So you waited 12 pages to give out this rather important info (“we are required to do so by the rightsholders, there’s nothing we can do”) that could have calmed down people rather than letting this thing escalate? Sometimes I just don’t get you guys. OTOH, it’s true to form. WD claims DTS HD bitstreaming isn’t supported because it’s only licensed to real BD players. Yet, how come other (cheap) NMTs do support it?

I wasn’t waiting on anything.  It just evolved out our discussion.  So, I’m sorry it took twelve pages.

Hi from Germany,

just to give my 50 cent to this topic.

Most of the services here in Germany are pretty useless (e.g… I don’t need 2-3 internet radio tools) and I am jealous to hear that u guys out there have Hulu, BBC, Netflix and other stuff.

I can watch some kind of amateur digital internet videos or 2 minutes scenes cutted out of some random simpsons episodes (I am so excited !! :confounded:) or video trailers in English (how fancy is that, huh ?).

Enough sarcasm, what is my point here ?

I made that upgrade, because finally I was able to see MLB.TV ( this is what I thought), but no, surprise again. I see the service starting, can watch game recaps, but live stream ? No, sir, all I see is, the menu bar, but the screen remains black.

Running through this community proves that I am not the only one with this issue. It is streaming on all other devices with no issue.

So next to other issues, as described in this thread and the fact the WD Photos isn’t showing a single tiny picture out of the sudden, I am really really impressed.

1 Like

There are more important issues on the SMP that should be fixed before your so called “top ten”. The SMP has changed my mind about WD products in general, and will never give WD another cent of my money. They took my money for a product that doesn’t do what it should. 

1 Like

@Bill_S

Hi Bill it’s been a couple of days since I posted on this topic and on another on the main page in regards to Netflix not showing in Puerto Rico ( US Territory ). The mpodel sold here is the US model, netflix is legal and available here on P.R. I have 2 2nd gen plus and I recently bought the live SMP. I’ve downgraded to 1.6 but I’d like to keep my Live up to date with the firmwares. Is there any word on what’s the WD stand on us? Are we going to be included in the 1.8 update?

Any info you could shed on this would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks

I’m waiting on some verification.  As I understand it, you are included.  But I need to get some more info on how this will work on the device - especially with the geolocation.  Stay tuned.

2 Likes

Hello Bill_S

Are the latin American Countries included? Netflix is also legal and available here on my country (Costa Rica), I did the downgrade to the previous firmware, the SMP is fine now. But I would like to have SMP updated. Any news on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

… about the Netflix service to Latin America this is the official list:

Country / Region Release date  
Brasil 5/9/11  
Argentina 7/9/11  
Paraguay 7/9/11  
Uruguay 7/9/11  
Bolivia 8/9/11  
Chile 8/9/11  
Colombia 9/9/11  
Ecuador 9/9/11  
Peru 9/9/11  
Venezuela 9/9/11  
Mexico 12/9/11  
Central America 12/9/11  
Caribbean 12/9/11  

1 Like

When would we expect exFAT comptibility fpr the device? 

1 Like

I seldom say this about anyone’s opinion, but this one strikes me as among the best…> * * *
Moor208 wrote:

There are more important issues on the SMP that should be fixed before your so called “top ten”.

That’s about the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard.

Who’s to say, then, what those more important issues are?   According to you, it’s not the users…

http://community.wdc.com/t5/ideas/v1/ideaexchangepage/blog-id/streaming_issues/tab/most-kudoed

Now using the 1.07 firmware for a few days:

The 2 issues that annoyed me the most are still annoying me!

1. Every few days, starting a video freezes in the fist few seconds and player brings up message “a fatal error has occurred and player must reboot…”  These are with standard xvid avi files and after the reboot (and media library recompile) the same video generally works fine.

2. Bad sorting with TV shows (ep 2-9 listed after ep 10).  Some have said the issue is with the TVDB but regardless, it can’t be that difficult for WD to tweak the way the xml’s are generated to add the appropriate zero.

I haven’t had any problems with services disappearing or Netflix credentials missing as reported by others in this thread.