New Release - Firmware Version 1.07.15 for WD TV Live Streaming Media Player (2/29/12)

Same problem here with MKV stutter - when you will fix this issue?

I’m sorry, guys, but I have no idea what’s on the agenda to be fixed.  Nor do they tell me.  Nor do I have any power to make sure anything does get fixed.  All I ever do is make sure that the product people know if and when you are having issues. 

Has anyone created an Issue at the issue exchange for these problems you’re having?  If so, make sure you all add your two cents to them, and add any information you can to help provide them a better understanding of the problem, so they can maybe fix it.  I do know that they are reviewing the Issue Exchanges.  Post back here the links to your issues, and I will see if I can find out what’s going on.  But understand that I can make no promises as to what will or will not be fixed. 

Bill_S wrote:

I’m sorry, guys, but I have no idea what’s on the agenda to be fixed.  Nor do they tell me.  Nor do I have any power to make sure anything does get fixed.  All I ever do is make sure that the product people know if and when you are having issues. 

Has anyone created an Issue at the issue exchange for these problems you’re having?  If so, make sure you all add your two cents to them, and add any information you can to help provide them a better understanding of the problem, so they can maybe fix it.  I do know that they are reviewing the Issue Exchanges.  Post back here the links to your issues, and I will see if I can find out what’s going on.  But understand that I can make no promises as to what will or will not be fixed. 

Hi Bill_S,

Both of these bugs was reported 3-4 months ago.

MKV Full HD Stutter (11-03-2011)

MKVs stuttering due to network exhaustion (12-16-2011)

As far as I know these bugs have been there from the birth of the SMP. I got mine at the end of December and have never been able to play 1080p MKV files without stuttering and frame drops, in any of the firmware releases. The network bug can be bypassed, though, if you stream the content via a non-transcoding media server, but that is a workaround, not a solution to the SMP’s basic networking problems with shared folders.

There is, however, no workaround for the full HD stutter @ 24p. 

I simply cannot understand why WD haven’t fixed these serious bugs. It’s like making a car that can only turn left, or making a cooking knife that has no edge, or making a cell phone that can only make calls if the telephone number starts with a certain digit.

As I’ve said several times on this forum, these bugs weren’t there on the old WDTV Live.

Since the SMP is a HD streaming media player, these bugs can only be classified as MAJOR crippling bugs.

So why has there been no fix for this?

Please let the product people know that their device is broken until they fix this.

Also, it would be nice to know if they plan to fix this at all, and when. 1 week? 6 months? Should customers who watch 1080p mkv’s find another device to do the job? Will you refund the SMP if we wish to find a working alternative?

Regarding my question in the last post in the previous page about thisproblem, I can confirm that the error occurs with all available f/w

Today I will perform a factory reset using 1.07.15 but I don’t have high hopes. Seems like an issue with DLNA service from the very beginning.

This upgrade killed my wireless it seems. I have tested a netbook placed right beside the media player which picks up my wireless fine but since the firmware upgrade, I have not had wireless working on the media player and consequently have missed a chunk of my netflix 1 month trial :frowning:

If I select previous wireless connections it does not work, it find the network but after entering the password with correct security (same as before upgrade which worked fine) it does not connect. After playing with it for an hour last week I have not yet revisited it.

Has anyone had this issue? Any ideas?

boardtc wrote:

This upgrade killed my wireless it seems. I have tested a netbook placed right beside the media player which picks up my wireless fine but since the firmware upgrade, I have not had wireless working on the media player and consequently have missed a chunk of my netflix 1 month trial :frowning:

If I select previous wireless connections it does not work, it find the network but after entering the password with correct security (same as before upgrade which worked fine) it does not connect. After playing with it for an hour last week I have not yet revisited it.

Has anyone had this issue? Any ideas?

Try resetting the player via the internal menu.

Thanks Rich, that was going to be my recommendation as well.  After the upgrade my wireless works fine.  I did, however, find that I had to re-input my passcode for the network.

Leverbrus,

Let me see what I can find out about those issues.  

Bill_S, I just wanted to say thank you for your diligence in responding to even the most vitriolic comments on this forum. I’m in a customer facing underwriter position for a large bank and am frequently surprised at the bald anger people direct at representatives of a company, over decisions they had no part in. Sometimes I think these people go into the drive thru at KFC and think whoever’s working the window must be Colonel Sanders himself.

In the end, as customer’s, report the issue and if it’s not addressed to your satisfaction, vote with your wallet.

Notreallymyname wrote:
Bill_S, I just wanted to say thank you for your diligence in responding to even the most vitriolic comments on this forum. I’m in a customer facing underwriter position for a large bank and am frequently surprised at the bald anger people direct at representatives of a company, over decisions they had no part in. Sometimes I think these people go into the drive thru at KFC and think whoever’s working the window must be Colonel Sanders himself.

In the end, as customer’s, report the issue and if it’s not addressed to your satisfaction, vote with your wallet.

Thank you.  That was very kind.

After apply the firmware update NETFLIX dissapear

maryada wrote:

After apply the firmware update NETFLIX dissapear

Hi maryada,

You need to downgrade your firmware, here’s how:  URL

Will it work for WD TV Live Media Player too?

My WD TV Live SMP has just gone back, I am tired of beeing a beta tester for shoddy firmware, I will be purchasing another streamer, I will consider again the WD TV Live SPM when issues get resolved.

1 Like

Let us know how it turns out.

BTW: Unblo.-us fixed WDs “bug” :wink:

I am still having the disk access (spinning dial) issue after a video plays for 15 minutes or so.  The sound can still be heard (as it continues playing the sound of the file) when stop is pressed and no other files can be viewed until the device is reset.  I have tried upgrading to the current version and downgrading it to previous versions but I still have the same issue.  Please address this.  Thanks.

Thanks for the suggestion. I found the reset menu under ststem and tried a reset keeping services logins. It finds my wireless network but will not connect when I enter the password (Nothing has changed from when it worked except the firmware)

Currently loving my WD Live SMP with firmware version 1.04.12  lol  :slight_smile:

Just an observation/opinion on my part:  I learned the hard way that if everything on your WD product is working to your satisfaction, you should probably leave it alone and not update just for the sake of updating.  I wasted 5  precious hours last time trying to get 1.05 to work properly, even though I was fully satisfied with 1.04.  I eventually rolled back to 1.04.12 and left it there ever since.

I’m not saying everybody should be happy with an old firmware version like 1.04, especially if you need some of the new key features, but if your player is working the way you like it (at any version), then you can probably pass on installing the latest firmware.

Roll Back Firmware WD TV LIVE SMP

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5860