New Release - Firmware Version 1.06.16_B for WD TV Live Plus (8/2/11)

@ TonyPh12345

Yes, I am very technicaly savvy, and I have tried all the options. I too am unsure how a FW update changed the audio output for AAC content, and why rolling back it still does not work. Seems strange prior to the update AAC content was flawless, and all I had to do was select OPTICAL OUTPUT, even on HDMI and OPTICAL (under old FW) digital content was received correctly by my HTR, except for Netflix, which I had to put it to OPTICAL ONLY for the audio to work correctly through Netflix. I have sent an EMAIL SUPPORT REQUEST, and have heard nothing, and I am not impressed.

UPDATE: Now I have found that the machine on boot up changes my TV ouput to 720p 60hz, when I have a 1080p 60hz TV, and under the old firmware, NO ISSUES SELECTING 1080p 60hz, NOW, I have to FORCE the setting, as it states incompatible.

TV = 47" LG LCD 1080p (model 47LD450) 60hz refresh.

RECEIVER = SONY Home Theater Receiver (DD 6.1 compatible, DTS, DTS-ES, Dolby Pro II)

Again, under the OLD firmware no issues with anything, the machine has NOT moved, no cables have been changed, nothing.

STILL after 72 hours NO EMAIL SUPPORT REPLY FROM WD.

Can’t speak to the other issues, but the LG issue:

Are you *ABSOLUTELY* sure that it autoselected 1080p before?

Just about every LG TV I’ve seen advertises the WRONG Native Resolution through EDID.  

The WDTV’s select the highest NATIVE resolution as indicated in the EDID data block.

Even my 55LX6500 does the same thing;  it says 1280x720 is the highest NATIVE resolution.

That’s been the case since version 1.03.xx on the Live and Live+.

You might try using the software tool called “moninfo” on a laptop to see what your TV’s EDID data says.

Updated via the internet, best update thus far.  I use my Live Plus for NetFlix, Hulu Plus, Pandora and watching movies in ISO form from my home server.  I have also tried the YouTube and Accuweather apps and those work great as well.  I am using an HDMI->DVI adapter to a Sony Wega rear projector LCD unit, and run the sound via the analog outs on the back.  I use a hardwired connection and my provider is a cablemodem network.  So far things have been working very well and a few annoying bugs that have been plaguing me the last couple of releases have been resolved.  Great work WD team!

LA.

There ARE issues with the EDID info on this TV, however NATIVE is 1920x1080, my PC hooked up VIA HDMI recognizes it correctly, and as stated BEFORE, YES IT WORKED ON 1080p 60hz before, MY TV shows the signal it is receiving, and it also shows 1080p 60hz, as long as I FORCE the resolution. BEFORE the update NO NEED TO FORCE the resolution it accepted 1080p 60hz no problem. Trust me, before I post ANYTHING, I check, recheck, and triple check ALL my settings, cables, devices, and media.

Unless you are going to advise me on something I have not tried, please stop treating me like a moron, I am NOT, and I do know and understand what I am talking about.

WHY does your CAPS lock button keep TURNING on randomly?

It’s called emphasis on what I am saying. Sorry you cannot understand that.

Not impressed with this at all, as this player worked better before this update, and even with a rollback,

I cannot get it to work as before. WAS going to buy the Live Hub, now rethinking brands completely.

///

It’s called emphasis on what I am saying. Sorry you cannot understand that.

///

please stop treating me like a moron, I am NOT, and I do know and understand what I am talking about.

Just went back and re-read your posts.

I do realize now that you never asked any questions, you just made statements.  My mistake for trying to assist when none was requested.

So, since you’re here to whine instead of seeking assistance, it’ll be safe if I ignore you from now on.   :wink:

It was a bad idea to change audio pass-through options.

Now you can either have audio output from HDMI only, either from optical cable only. No more both simultaneously. This make impossible to switch from listening through my home theater (connected by HDMI) and my headset (connected by optical cable). My home theater unfortunately has no audio outputs other than for speakers. And to change the settings each time I want to use my headset is quite boring…

Timing characteristics
  Horizontal scan range… 31-82kHz
  Vertical scan range… 57-63Hz
  Video bandwidth… 160MHz
  CVT standard… Not supported
  GTF standard… Not supported
  Additional descriptors… None
  Preferred timing… Yes
  Native/preferred timing… 1920x1080p at 60Hz (16:9)
    Modeline… “1920x1080” 148.500 1920 2008 2052 2200 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync
  Detailed timing #1… 1280x720p at 60Hz (16:9)
    Modeline… “1280x720” 74.250 1280 1390 1430 1650 720 725 730 750 +hsync +vsync

From MONINFO

"

Just went back and re-read your posts.

I do realize now that you never asked any questions, you just made statements.  My mistake for trying to assist when none was requested.

So, since you’re here to whine instead of seeking assistance, it’ll be safe if I ignore you from now on."

This IS a post about issues with the new firmware right? I am simply letting people know my experience, and you are treating me like an ■■■■■.

No I never asked questions, simply posting what I have found in hopes someone may work on a resulution and post it. Sorry, this is my last post as my experiences are not welcome. Got TIER 2 TECH support on the phone right now anyway, be better then this.

Firmware updates are not something you should just blindly do, this applies to anything not just WDTV. There seems to be a trend now that everyone must have the lastest firmware. There is always risk of something going wrong, whether that be an actual problem flashing or just new bugs that arise. If everything is working for you and the firmware update doesn’t address anything you are having a problem with, why bother updating? You are just signing up for trouble.

I agree that FW updates shouldn’t be taken lightly.  Things can go wrong.  But with the WD that’s the first thing that pops up when you start it up and a FW is available.  The average user probably thinks that they need to do it and hopes that something new or fixed will be installed.  The WD is a plain simple basic media player that Grandma can use but if a FW messes it up she is totally lost and dead in the water.

I really think WD better start evaluating and test their FW updates before sending them out.  I haven’t installed this one, the last one messed up my unit and I had to go back to a previous one.  How many average users know how to do that or even know this forum exists.  I only bought it and use it for Netflix, as far as using it for a media player there are much better players on the market.  My PopcornHour is great, it costs more but does so much more.

For a company of this size this is totally inexcusable.

Jasthrus wrote:

@ TonyPh12345

Yes, I am very technicaly savvy, and I have tried all the options. I too am unsure how a FW update changed the audio output for AAC content, and why rolling back it still does not work. Seems strange prior to the update AAC content was flawless, and all I had to do was select OPTICAL OUTPUT, even on HDMI and OPTICAL (under old FW) digital content was received correctly by my HTR, except for Netflix, which I had to put it to OPTICAL ONLY for the audio to work correctly through Netflix. I have sent an EMAIL SUPPORT REQUEST, and have heard nothing, and I am not impressed.

Jasthrus, nobody knows you.  So, why don’t you bring it down a notch and realize that by virtue of posting your are inviting feedback.  It’s not unreasonable for other users to question if you are doing everything you can to get the device reconfigured.  It’s not an insult, nor a challenge to your technical savvy-ness, for someone to ask even the most simple question.  And, frankly, you don’t need to keep hitting the caps button.  We get it. 

Oh, and keep in mind that being here is a priviledge, not a right.  So, try to be a little more considerate of how you’re treating others.

Well, I am a newbie to this forum but not to this technology.   I just bought 2 x WD Live Plus (es) here in Canada the exact same day they released the new firmware and of course I went ahead and updated the FW at the prompt as the stock FW did not support Netrflix.ca.   Result:  Upgrade went well, I can play all ISOs, MP4s, DivX, MKVs that I have and Netflix streams 1080p capable movies cleaner than my PS3 ever did and without any stutter.

I did however have to force 1080p 60HZ on my Sony Bravia but that’s about the only real glitch I could find with this product and the 1.06.16_B FW.

So far I am VERY impressed with this product and the latest FW.   Sorry to hear the woes some others are having.  One tends to wonder if they introduced code in the FW that is somehow not compatible with some earlier models manufactured.  I am sure WD will address the issue in time.   

Just to hit on something someone said in here about latest FW.  It has been common practice in my line of work for with Cisco hardware to NEVER use the latest and un-tested firmware for your environment but only the most stable for your environment.  The same applies here it seems yet WD prompts a user to install.  They should remove this automated feature immediately and let users manually check for updates IMHO or they are just asking for bad press as you see in here.

I use my unit mainly to stream HD video using a wired network from my computer, so this latest FW works fine for me. People have to remember that WD can’t possibly test every combination of networks, AV Receivers, TVs and NAS devices, etc.

This latest FW seemed to improve the time needed to connect to my wired network. It also added a slight delay when playing files but I don’t mind.

I shut my WD off after use, so I have to wait almost a minute for the unit to “boot up” the next time I use it. I can’t understand this long boot-up period. Hey, it’s not a computer loading a HUGE operating system. My computer boots faster.

Suggestion: I would implement a “ROLLBACK” feature in the menu to automate the FW rollback process. The old FW(s) could be saved in memory for this purpose. Wouldn’t this be convenient ?

Back from vacation and just updated.

- A big THANKS for for being able to say what digital capabilities the amp has when using optical out.

Really appreciated. 

Removed, issue fixed.

Stil, it is disappointing that digital audio pass-through actually can be only optical or only HDMI and not both simultaneously…

I have a HP USB drive that doesn’t work with the new firmware. When I go to settings, I literally see rubbish characters. Back to 1.05 and I am not updating anymore. This is getting worse and worse

This is an awesome update. I’ve not run into any video or audio issues. Appreciate all the work the engineers do.

Hmm, sometimes video names come up in what looks like Hebrew??

Bazzle