New Release - Firmware Version 1.06.16_B for WD TV Live Plus (8/2/11)

I have a 3TB WD Elements and it seems to be working fine with the new firmware.  I do have a strange problem with some of my .iso files not playing when selected just a black screen with the 0:00 progress bar that doesn’t budge.  Strangely the file plays fine when in preview mode.   Any ideas what this could be?  I tried a factory reset and deleting my .wdtv folder.  It didn’t help with this issue.

@thepanoguy

How can I reflash my box when I turn it on I just get the 0% Upgrading progress bar?  I tried paperclipping the reset button but nothing happens.  How can I get back to the main menu?

Thanks!

I also have found issues with the audio on the new update. Prior to the update, ALL AAC audio sent to my receiver via OPTICAL SPDIF, was decoded as MULTICHANNEL DIGITAL, now ALL AAC (having to turn the NEW option OFF in settings, or no audio at all) comes through as 2 CHANNEL PCM. Never had any issues despite my receiver not being directly AAC compatible, it has ALWAYS decoded AAC simply as DD 5.1, and now it does not. Will be rolling back to previous firmware myself, as I prefered the AAC handling prior to this update. Also find the video pixelates alot more on the lower resolution videos than it did on release 1.05. Hope they get this fixed SOON, as I really do think this is a strong product, but their firmware update just broke it IMO.

Hi Scandy,

I ultimately had two WUSB600N issues w/1.06.16_B, even after a hard reset:

1. The blue activity light no long worked

2. Although I could connect to my Linksys WRT610Nv2 performance was horrible (lost frame rates, time outs etc).

In the end dropping back to 1.05.04_B resolved my immediate issues.

I’ll give it another shot when the next firmware comes out.

Thanks for the feedback.

I should also note that like many others, before I rolled back to 1.05.04_B, the new firmware caused my wdtv to respond slowly to commands like fast forward, stop and play…for each button press, it would be a second or two before the wdtv live plus would respond.  Now back at 1.05.04_b, and it’s responding fine again.

Upgraded to this new firmware and immediately have following issues

• Stuttering and slow down with 720p mkv files.

• Stuttering and slow down with Std Dev. avi Xvid (Advaned Simple @L5, BVOP2) encoded file

Rolled back to 1.05.04B firmware and the above two files work.

My wifi setup is Dlink DWA-131 usb wifi adapter with Netgear WNR854T router.

What gives??  I want to give Hulu+ a shot.

For anyone having problems with TVersity and WDLIVEPLUS since the upgrade check out the following post at TVersity. 

http://forums.tversity.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=65812&p=141897#p141897

I hope someone fixes this soon.  Until then does anyone know how to rollback to firmware version 1.05.04_V??? Please help I can’t stand using Windows 7 built in UPNP ■■■■.

laptopquestions wrote:

Loaded 1.06.16_B, but had to roll back to 1.05.04_B since my Linksys/Cisco WUSB600N v2 wireless USB device would no longer work properly, even after a hardware reset :dizzy_face:.

The first sign something was wrong was that the blue light on the front of the WUSB600N would no longer light up.  Although it was recognized and I could connect to my router, performance was horrible (e.g. netflix and local streaming would time out).

Curious if anyone else has seem similar issues with their wireless dongles.

BTW, this is the first time that I have had to roll back my firmware.

I had the same problem (no blue light) except that I couldn’t connect to the network at all and nothing worked until I rolled back.

Biscuit Boy:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5800

How to roll back firmware.

I updated my media player with the newest firmware and it works awesome.  That is all.

After reading 9 pages of negative comments I can forget about fw upgrade for my live too.
Seems that WD engineers had been getting dumb and dumber.

Reading these Reviews …

Has anyone who has Problems after upgrading ever done a Factory Reset using the Reset Switch at the WDTV Player?

This often fixes FW Upgrade Problems especially Video Playback Problems.

I do not mean the Menue Factory Reset.

They behave different.

How does it behave to you afterwards?

And if they are better then, are they still fixed after you powered the WD off and on again?

Please add this to your Reviews if you tried this otherwise there will be even more complains that you didn’t do a HW Reset after upgrading :slight_smile:

I can recommend you might also directly write to the WD Support via Service E-mail to get a Service Ticket. 

Who knows when or if even a WD Technician might read here what you detected with this FW.

http://support.wdc.com/?lang=en

EMAIL Support

I upgraded firmware, Netflix stops working even though I have an internet connection and can play other services.  Downgrade firmware… same problem.  Upgrade firmware again, no go.

Netflix pops up, enter account into, then it just black screens.

Reset to factory, just wasted 10 minutes again.

RMA is in, thanks firmware upgrade for supporting shipping companies.

You did check to see if Netfix is having any streaming problems? They have been quite frequent lately.

You can always check the status of what other Netfilix users are reporting here- http://downrightnow.com/netflix

I am not having any streaming problems with Netflix using my connection, it is only the device and Netflix was working great until this firmware update.

Alright, as stated above before reposting to do a HARD RESET at the machine. DONE. Still same issues.

PRIOR TO UPDATE: EVERYTHING played flawlessy, DD, DTS, and AAC ALL decoded by my receiver as DIGITAL MULTICHANNEL CONTENT via OPTICAL ONLY AUDIO OUTPUT option. Video resolution very clear, NO ERRORS when selecting 12 bit DEEP COLOR mode, HDMI 1080p 60hz resolution, as that is what my LCD is.

AFTER UPDATE: Some MP4 coded files play some don’t??? When selecting OPTICAL OUTPUT ONLY, and having checks in all boxes, NO AUDIO when AAC AUDIO is present. DD and DTS still work as normal. With AAC option dechecked, audio comes through PCM no longer digital multichannel. My receiver decodes AAC as multichannel even from my PC OPTICAL out from my ONBOARD AUDIO, so not sure why this changed. Video quality is worst, even the interface is grainy in appearence, looks low resolution compared to before.

AFTER ROLLBACK: Video issues resolved. NO AUDIO WITH ANYTHING CODED AAC. Before on the previous firmware AAC, as mentioned before, was flawless and decoded correctly by my receiver.

Forced to attempt hard reset, no change, forced to reupdate to new firmware to at least get PCM audio for AAC files.

Not impressed with this at all, as this player worked better before this update, and even with a rollback, I cannot get it to work as before. WAS going to buy the Live Hub, now rethinking brands completely.

Sorry, should have also mentioned, for me the new update did resolve some issues with NetFlix, as that is now working better, I am a Canadian subscriber to NetFlix if that makes a difference.

I fixed my problem by rolling back to 1.04.18, time to see if I can cancel that RMA.

@Jasthrus:  

Hmmm.   Firmware updates and rollbacks are total.

I can’t imagine how a ROLLBACK would NOT fix a problem induced by an upgrade.   There’s no PERMANENT changes made in any firmware updates…

After doing several resets, are you sure that your audio settings got set back to the way they need to be?

Every time I turn on the unit I have to now set it up to connect to my wireless network and it doesn’t see my WD 1000 gig drive.