New Release - Firmware Version 1.06.16_B for WD TV Live Plus (8/2/11)

RTFM, folks…

To change chapters in NON-DVD media, you press OPTIONS, then go to the CHAPTER menu to select the chapter you want.

The new firmware just bricked my box. It rebooted to the WD splash screen and froze there. Tried to reset, but it did not work. Can’t roll back either. Any suggestions other than buying a new box.

nivlems wrote:

Any suggestions other than buying a new box.

RMA it to WD.

I have one that was working fine and I just bought  3 more of these units so I started by upgrading the FW on all of them including my exisiting one. Now it takes forever to see my drives, will not see some of them at all, and a lot of themovies I had that worked no longer work properly (will not play or FF or RW etc)

So this FW update is a disaster. I am struggling to believe that WD could let this happen, I mean did they not test it first ?

Had been telling all my friends to buy these things but had to back that off fast and am now wondering if I should just return the units.

I see no mention of a fix anyone else know of something ?  

nhartvig wrote:

I see no mention of a fix anyone else know of something ?  

You can roll back the firmware to a previous version fairly easily. Make sure that you download the correct version for the Plus.

Firmware Rollback

Considering WD now has a new range of media players, has there been any indication that WD are actively developing firmware for this box, or are they just stopping at 1.06.16 with all its flaws?

Mr WD: It would be nice to know, then I can stop coming back to the website to see if there has been any new releases.

There will be at least one more update. 

1 Like

Do you happen to know what is in the update? Also if this is the last update will the full source code for these units be released for those people that might want to find a used one to use as a test bed for making there own improvements?

meant to post for WD TV Live firmware, not the Plus version… Moderator, please delete this post… :frowning:

I am still using the previous fw and I am so tired of getting the update message everytime i turn it on.  WD has had plenty of time to come out with a decent FW.

This is my first and last WD player.  I have others that are much better.

1 Like

I have the same problem with ISO files on my WDTV Live. What I have found as a workaround is that if you let the preview start in the menu then play the movie / show then it works. If you press play without the preview then my WDTV reboots itself! Clearly a firmware update is required to fix this.

Are we ever going to see an update that fixes the network dropping issue with this **bleep**?..Probably not, at this time it has set in my Bed Room unused since September (when I bought it) and is just gathering dust…have not tried rolling back firmware, but I highly doubt that will help anything.

I am on a multi-PC network with one PC used as a server. I have manually set Master PC and nothing made any changes. The only thing that works is to reboot all the PC’s and the WDTV Live Plus and that works until the Unit shuts down, then to get it to function properly, I have to once again reboot the entire network. And yes the server remains master the entire time.

At this point in time the almost three year old LG Blu-ray player does a better job at playing media from my server than this thing does. I bought it to replace the sharing part of the Blu-ray player, since it is so clunky.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated, but if I can’t get anything to work, this thing is toast and a hammer will be will be an amazing frustration manager…. 

I would think that if you actually have to reboot your whole network, then the problem has nothing to do with the WDTV… the WDTV is just a victim and the reboot of your network (or something else on that network) is what’s making it work for a short time.

By extension, if the problem was the WDTV, rebooting IT would fix it.

I have a similar set up and do not see any of your issues w/latest FW.  Try the rollback or check your network for issues.

The problem that you are describing is not typical with the Live Plus. How do you have it connected to the network?

It is connected directly by ethernet to a netgear 3500l, that is running the rest of the network without any issues at all. Like I said all of the DNLA devices I have running off the network run great, including all of the file access through two different blu-ray players and a HTPC. I have had no issues with any of the other components at any time. The thing that operates funky at all is the WSTV Live Plus player. All of it’s functions work great except as a network file player. BTW, I do a search and I am able to find a whole lot of others with the same problems

icedragonslair wrote:

I am on a multi-PC network with one PC used as a server. I have manually set Master PC and nothing made any changes. The only thing that works is to reboot all the PC’s and the WDTV Live Plus and that works until the Unit shuts down, then to get it to function properly, I have to once again reboot the entire network. And yes the server remains master the entire time.

…

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated, but if I can’t get anything to work, this thing is toast and a hammer will be will be an amazing frustration manager…. > * * *

I assume you are using a Windows XP or Windows Server 200x of some sort.  If so, on the server, under services, do you have “Network DDE” and “Network DDE DSDM” running?  I really suspect this one.  Check it.  Somehow,  during fresh network reboot, my other machine without “Network DDE” and “Network DDE DSDM”  would show up and work for a brief time.  I don’t understand that, but it does.

If not, give us some idea about your set up:

• What OS is your server?

• How are the IP’s set (mainly, your server’s IP and subnet mask.  Same for the WD box)

• How is the WD box connected to the network.  (WiFi?  Hardwired?)

• How is the server connected to the network. (WiFi?  Hardwired?)

When it fails, what do you see?  Your Server-PC not on the list?

• Also try this:  when it does fail, try to net-share a small folder with your other PC.  See if that is visible to the WD box.

Let see if we can figure something out.

Rick

I also intermittently see this issue.

Network Information:

1. Linksys WRT120N router
  2. Linux(Ubuntu 10.4 flavored) PC used as a file and web server with a static IP addy set in the router.
  3. WD TV Live Plus with a dynamic IP addy set by the router.
  4. Windows 7 PC.
  5. Windows XP Media Center.

All units are hardwired to the router. I loose access to the WD unit when the samba share on the file/web server drops due to an incomplete reboot of the Linux system.

Let me make sure I understand.

So, your WD is on, you reboot the server while WD is still on.  After the server reboots, WD is no longer accessible.  Is that correct?

Rick-in-NJ wrote:

Let me make sure I understand.

So, your WD is on, you reboot the server while WD is still on.  After the server reboots, WD is no longer accessible.  Is that correct?

That is correct if the server’s reboot is not complete to where the samba share turns on in the server then the WD is no longer seen on the network as well but once I directly access the server and turn on samba share in the server the WD unit then re-appears on the network. I have even tried rebooting the router in these instances to no avail.